Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocks and water  (Read 1462 times)

dalethorn

Rocks and water
« on: April 29, 2009, 11:46:06 pm »

Nothing special here - just one of my favorite settings for natural patterns and texture. Although the stream (and upstream waterfall) were originally man-made, nature has taken over to a large extent with various organic growth.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Rocks and water
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:47:22 am »

Compositionally, the floating moss (or algae) balances the grass well.  When viewed at full size, it appears to have a little motion blur, so I'm guessing this was handheld.  Still, it's a nice shot.

dalethorn

Rocks and water
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:08:41 pm »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
Compositionally, the floating moss (or algae) balances the grass well.  When viewed at full size, it appears to have a little motion blur, so I'm guessing this was handheld.  Still, it's a nice shot.

Thanks for the critique.

This was shot flush through a glass window, eliminating reflections as much as possible. Bracing against the window, using a monopod, and with an IS lens, I don't think any blur occurred because of camera shake etc.  Usually you can detect camera shake when you sort through a dozen or so of these taken at the same time.  But because the water was moving, and since there are some reflections on the water itself, bouncing off of who knows what, that could contribute to some blur.  I cloned out some of the whitish reflections around the edges, but reflections remain in several areas. I see that some of the rocks don't appear sharp, but I suspect that's a focus issue - don't know for sure.

Since this was the clearest of the images I took of that area, and several were equally "sharp", I really wonder if there's something inherent in the overall light that came from that stream/pond that could make even the rocks appear slightly blurry.  The window glass looked clear to me, but this was a low-contrast scene, so maybe the imperfections in the glass made a larger negative contribution than they would if the scene had a much higher contrast.  Very interesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up