Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 and matte black smudging  (Read 1708 times)

Robert Good

z3100 and matte black smudging
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:59:35 pm »

Has anyone encountered matte black smudging / smearing with the z3100.
I read somewhere that this is an issue, but never could find a solution.

I have run into this on Media Ones scrim blockout banner material and an exterior adhesive vinyl product from GS Direct.
I calibrated and created color profiles for each media type with the same results. I have heard I need to limit the saturation of the black spray, but I cannot find any setting within the printer driver, Illustrator or within Photoshop CS4.

I have experimented with Krylon protective spray coating, but it clouds up in temps under 30 degrees.

I am currently looking into an overlaminate, but I really don't want to go there.

I have searched this forum and have been unable to find a similar issue.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Good

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 03:22:22 am »

Not very helpful to you at this point, but I've found the surface of HP Colorfast Adhesive vinyl to be pretty good, in terms of durability.  Fairly weak gamut, unfortunately.  Is the GS vinyl coated for aqueous printers?  If you have to live with the material, you might look into a product called Frog Juice, made for signage, as a liquid coating that is cheaper than laminating film (if cost is your biggest concern).
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Robert Good

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 07:29:55 am »

Quote from: Colorwave
Not very helpful to you at this point, but I've found the surface of HP Colorfast Adhesive vinyl to be pretty good, in terms of durability.  Fairly weak gamut, unfortunately.  Is the GS vinyl coated for aqueous printers?  If you have to live with the material, you might look into a product called Frog Juice, made for signage, as a liquid coating that is cheaper than laminating film (if cost is your biggest concern).

Thanks for the reply. I would stick with an HP product if it wasn't for the price and limitations in performance. I really like the Media One scrim product (except of course for this issue). I just purchased two new rolls and have to find a way to unload the gun pointed at my foot.

I read recently in this other forum that Frog Juice has its limitations. Have you experienced them?

http://printingdigital.net/forums/general-...ed-ink-off.html

b.t.w.
Like your site. simple, clean and easy to navigate.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:52:29 pm »

Robert-
I've never used it with graphics that require transfer tape over them for registration of cut vinyl elements.  The people posting to the thread you linked to are addressing solvent printing on vinyl, FWIW.  I assume they were having issues with the bond of their solvent ink to the vinyl being disturbed by the solvent in the coating.  Whatever you use, I would imagine spray application, if we are talking liquid vs. film, will be required to not move the MK ink around if it is still smearing.  Can you describe your application for this a little more?  What are you doing with it, where, etc.  Do the manufacturers say that these are aqueous ink compatible?

Also, thanks for the compliment on my site.  Had to learn my way around a little web design to do it, as it is only the second site I've ever put together.
-Ron H.

Robert Good

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 02:38:48 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
Robert-
I've never used it with graphics that require transfer tape over them for registration of cut vinyl elements.  The people posting to the thread you linked to are addressing solvent printing on vinyl, FWIW.  I assume they were having issues with the bond of their solvent ink to the vinyl being disturbed by the solvent in the coating.  Whatever you use, I would imagine spray application, if we are talking liquid vs. film, will be required to not move the MK ink around if it is still smearing.  Can you describe your application for this a little more?  What are you doing with it, where, etc.  Do the manufacturers say that these are aqueous ink compatible?

Also, thanks for the compliment on my site.  Had to learn my way around a little web design to do it, as it is only the second site I've ever put together.

That's good news. I must have glossed over that thread to quickly. I am using the hp pigment based inks.
This application is primarily for banners. 42"x20' approx. It will endure temperatures from 20 degrees to 100 degrees. Crazy weather here in Montana.

I just want the product to be as indestructible / safe in the hands of individuals that might not care for it as well as I would like.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:35:49 am »

Robert-
I think the extremes you mention would steer me away from solvent based products.  Acrylic coatings are much more forgiving of temperature extremes, but you will need to test adhesion.  I know that the Glamour II I use sticks very well to everything I've tried it with, but I haven't tried it on vinyl yet.  Speaking of banners, though, I recently bought and tried some HP Banner with Tyvek.  I really like it, although it is a different beast than vinyl.  I printed a 3' x 8' banner, and am anxious to see how well it holds up to tropical sunlight.  The colors are far richer than the vinyl I've tried.  Tyvek is the stuff that FedEx envelopes are made from, if you are not familiar with it.  It isn't paper, vinyl or fabric . . . it's Tyvek.
-Ron H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up