Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rodenstock HR Diagron-W 90mm  (Read 5668 times)

sarahcharles

Rodenstock HR Diagron-W 90mm
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:35:09 pm »

Hello, i'm using a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar Digital 90mm, with a 6X9 Arca and Phaseone P25 for still life Photography.

Anyone had tested the new Rodenstock HR Diagron-W 90mm ???

Is it better than the Apo-Sironar Digital 90mm ??? Does it really make a difrence ???

Many thanks.

C.

CBarrett

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:24:09 pm »

Quote from: sarahcharles
Hello, i'm using a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar Digital 90mm, with a 6X9 Arca and Phaseone P25 for still life Photography.

Anyone had tested the new Rodenstock HR Diagron-W 90mm ???

Is it better than the Apo-Sironar Digital 90mm ??? Does it really make a difrence ???

Many thanks.

C.

Actually, you and I already own the HR....

From Rodenstock's website : "At the moment this series includes the focal lengths 40 mm, 70 mm and 90 mm (both last-mentioned lenses Apo-Sironar digital 70 mm f/5.6 and 90 mm f/5.6 already met the high demands of the new concept and have been re-named as HR Digaron-W)"

Woot!

-CB

sarahcharles

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:30:36 pm »

Ohhh !

So the HR Diagron-W 90mm and the Apo-Sironar Digital 90mm are exactly same lens ?

Strange because this lens appreared as a new lens in diferents online-store ! Are you really sure of it ???

http://www.vistek.ca/results/ProPhotoSpeci...to--Lenses.aspx

Thx Mr Barrett.

C.

sarahcharles

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:32:49 pm »

and those two lens are not sold at the same price....  very strange !!!  They are really same ???

C.

CBarrett

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:42:06 pm »

Quote from: sarahcharles

and those two lens are not sold at the same price....  very strange !!!  They are really same ???

C.

Oh, that's funny.  And... I may be turning 40 in September but please don't call me Mister.

I just bought the 70mm from Badger Graphic and Jeff confirmed that the Sironar Digital IS being rebadged to HR Digaron-W.  The quote I gave above about those lenses simply being relabeled is straight from Rodenstock's website.  

Anyone else with info to the contrary?

-cb

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 12:29:15 am »

I have seen a rodenstock pdf that said the 70 and 90 were simply being renamed.... it may be on linos website.

archivue

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 05:39:37 am »

Quote from: klane
I have seen a rodenstock pdf that said the 70 and 90 were simply being renamed.... it may be on linos website.

me too !

so i bought the 90... apo sironar for cheap ! ;-)

but this is only the case with the 70 and the 90... 35/45/55 are discontinued lenses !
i suspect this lens to be relabelled apo grandagon... maybe a different coating ?

CBarrett

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 09:04:07 am »

Quote from: archivue
me too !

so i bought the 90... apo sironar for cheap ! ;-)

but this is only the case with the 70 and the 90... 35/45/55 are discontinued lenses !
i suspect this lens to be relabelled apo grandagon... maybe a different coating ?

I got my 90 off eBay for like 600 and Badger had a really good price on the 70.  I've just finished switching over my Rodenstocks to all Apo Sironar Digitals and am carrying the 35, 45, 55, 70, 90 & 135.  I keep thinking I need something wider since my work is all architecture, but I honestly don't even use the 35 that often...

I love how much smaller the LF glass is than MF or 35mm lenses!  I fit all these, my Arca 6x9 Compact and the P45+ (+charger) in this Pelican...
[attachment=13370:1514_PD_horiz_lg.jpg]

archivue

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 04:50:11 pm »

from the robert white web site...

Rodenstock Digital lenses
High end digital photography places high demands on a lens; it has to cope with a highly planar sensor surface populated with a regular array of very small pixels behind a filter/protection glass.
Apo Sironar Digital and Apo Macro Sironar Digital lenses are designed for use with sensors with a pixel width down to 9µm, with the 120mm macro lens optimised for use in the 1:5 to 2:1 magnification range.
The Apo Sironar Digital HR ( renamed HR Digaron-S or W ) lenses are high resolution, and designed for use with sensors with a pixel width from 12µm to 5µm. They resolve better wide open as well as stopped down (they should be stopped down as little as possible to avoid diffraction reducing their excellent quality), and mostly have a wider aperture than a standard Apo Sironar Digital lenses, which can also reduce noise in shadow areas.  
Announced at Photokina 2008 the new HR Digaron  23mm,  40mm  and 50mm  designed for the new larger format sensors.

archivue

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 04:56:46 pm »

rodenstock press release... PMA 2009

Rodenstock HR DIGARON Lenses

LINOS is a worldwide manufacturer of high-precision optical systems for applications in areas such as laser, photo finishing, metrology, medicine, bioengineering and semiconductors. The Linos Photo and Lab Technology market segment carries the world-famous Rodenstock lenses.

At "photokina" 2008 Linos introduced its latest developments of innovative and sophisticated digital lenses:

HR Digaron-S 23 mm f/5.6
HR Digaron-W 40 mm f/4
HR Digaron-S 23 mm f/5.6
The new Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 23 mm f/5.6 is the first extreme wide-angle lens providing a large image circle of 70 mm and a flange focal length and back focal length allowing its use with nearly all types of technical cameras. Its optical construction has been optimized to meet the requirements of digital photography. An almost diffraction limited high resolution is achieved in the whole image area already for a full aperture.

As a result sensors with a pixel pitch down to 6 μm and a resolution up to approx. 60 megapixels can tap their full potential. Especially photographers of (interior) architecture or landscapes, who had to use an analog film for taking extreme image angles until now, will be highly impressed by this lens. The focal length of 23 mm for a 37x49 mm sensor corresponds to a focal length of 16 mm for a 24x36 mm sensor.

HR Digaron-W 40 mm f/4
The pixel size of digital sensors cannot be reduced at will without an increasing image noise and decreasing dynamic range. For this reason, larger sensors for professional digital backs providing for an ultimate resolution (currently up to approx. 60 megapixels) have been developed. The digital lenses, designed for smaller sensor formats, with an image circle around 70 mm, do not allow hardly any camera movement when applying such large sensors. That is why we developed the Rodenstock lens series HR Digaron-W with image circles from 90 mm up and an almost diffraction limited high resolution. At the moment this series includes the focal lengths 40 mm, 70 mm and 90 mm (the last-mentioned lenses Apo-Sironar digital 70 mm f/5.6 and 90 mm f/5.6 will be re-named as HR Digaron-W).

The image angle of the new HR Digaron-W 40 mm f/4 corresponds to that of a fictitious 26.5 mm lens for 24x36 mm sensors. Further focal lengths are in preparation.

The new Digaron lenses will be exhibited at PMA 2009
For more information please refer to www.rodenstock-photo.com

sarahcharles

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 07:29:49 pm »

Thanks to all for your answers...
Pages: [1]   Go Up