Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 20D in studio  (Read 2920 times)

Ben Rubinstein

20D in studio
« on: July 20, 2005, 03:25:52 pm »

How do you define 'really good'? In other words what are you looking for in a camera so that we can tell you whether the 20D matches up. Keep in mind that the camera is only 2 parts of the equation (used to be 1  but now it's the film as well!), there is also lenses to consider and also importantly, what it the end use of the picture. If you are shooting for billboards it might not be enough, etc, etc.

Bobtrips

20D in studio
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 04:25:25 pm »

For studio work would the extra cost of the 20D as opposed to the 350XT be money well spent?

From what I know the advantages of the 20D have to do with more auto focus points and faster burst rate.  I don't see those as being very important for more deliberate studio work.

Morris

20D in studio
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 04:41:33 pm »

Oh, and thank you Tim for the link to sample pictures, that is interesting to see.

Morris

20D in studio
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 07:15:33 am »

Thank you! The flashinfo was really good to know. No, in the studio I dont need autofocus, but on the field. Sometimes portraits on people in action and things like that. Its to expensive to all the time shoot slides, and it takes to much time before I can start to work with the pictures on the computer. I hope I can adjust my slides/film kind of thinking and learn how to get the most out of the digitalcamera. I already seen some articles on this site that seems interesting. I guess theres alot of rethinking to do?
Thank you for your advice!

Morris

20D in studio
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 02:57:08 pm »

I hardly ever uses digital cameras, but are now thinking of buying a 20D. I wonder how this camera is to use in a studio, both people pictures and objects. I need the results to be really good but cant afford the more expensive ones like 1D. As I have understood, the 20D is a really good digital camera? Sorry for my english, but i would be happy for some response!

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
20D in studio
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 03:46:15 pm »

There are tons of sample pictures on the net eg here.

But... in addition to the camera itself and lenses there are processing and printing techniques to add to your consideration.  You absolutely won't get superb results setting everything on JPG defalt settings and printing the result.  In any event, I do believe the 20D is considered a very good camera in it's class - semi professional.

Morris

20D in studio
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 04:27:26 pm »

Thank You. Well, I have a small business - doing adverts, posters, folders, webpages etc. The pictures will be used for example productpages, printings like in folders. Until this day I have mostly been using Diafilm, small format though. I do a lot of afterwork with my pictures in the computer - lights, colour etc. But i need to be able to get really sharp pictures, good quality for print. I tried once a fuji finepix 7000 digitalcamera, and i really didnt think that I could take usable picture with that. I just heard alot about 20D, and also that I can choose between a lot of optic to it. Im a bit scared to get in the digital world of cameras because I dont know how to know what is good or not. I really need advice in this matter......

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
20D in studio
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 06:45:58 pm »

Morris,

For catalog work, the 20D may suit your needs. The PC flash connector can handle most studio strobes and the image size should stand for the printed application sizes you are targeting. The 350XT does not have a PC flash connector, so you will have to buy a hot-shoe adapter and possibly a Wein voltage limiter to protect the shutter contacts - a hack, but workable. I have no experience with the 350XT, but I can tell you that noise levels on the 20D are extremely low and well-managed. This is important.

I can't imagine autofocusing a catalog shot, so I don't understand the comment about that capability. I mean you set up the shot and have all time in the world to manually focus dead-on.

The 20D, as stated, is semi-pro grade. The 350XT is consumer grade. If your requirements are truly as stated, I would have no hesitation going with the 20D.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

lester_wareham

• http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/
20D in studio
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 05:08:09 am »

For studio work would the extra cost of the 20D as opposed to the 350XT be money well spent?

From what I know the advantages of the 20D have to do with more auto focus points and faster burst rate.  I don't see those as being very important for more deliberate studio work.
The 350XT is a nice compact camera, much more the size of my old Canon FD cameras. The 20D is larger, some people feel this gives them a better grip etc.

I think the main advantage of the 20D is the controls are more direct largely because of the quick dial wheel at the rear. In auto exposure this adjusts compensation factor, in manual the aperture while the main wheel in front of the shutter release the shutter speed. It also speeds up all sorts of other control operations.

The best thing to do is down load the manuals from Canon USA Download Page and read up so you know how they work.

Then visit a local shop and try them out and see how they suit. Unless you need the 5fps etc I don't think this is significant.

Some also say the 20D is built better. To me the new 350 seems better than the old one which did feel a bit cheap to me.

By the way I have a 20D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up