Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JKC  (Read 1973 times)

BJL

JKC
« on: March 30, 2005, 01:57:05 pm »

You might consider one of the new, relatively small and cheap DSLRs. They can go to ISO speeds four or more times higher, though that must be balanced against their kit lenses being one or two stops slower than some high end one piece digicams. Once you step up to a faster mid-priced lens like the Nikon 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 or Olympus 14-54 f/2.8-3.4, or a stabilized lens like the Canon 17-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS, you should definitely have a hand-holding speed advantage.

Otherwise, I would try a one piece digicam with lens stabilization/vibration reduction, like the Nikon 8800 you mention. Fortunately, cameras shops are a fairly good imitation of museums for testing low light, hand-held, no flash performance!

P. S. Amongst small, inexpensive, entry level DSLRs, a Nikon D50 with 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens seems almost certain to soon join the Canon 300D and 350D, Olympus E-300 and Pentax *-ist DS. I have downloaded a 148 page D50 user's manual that looks for too accurate and elaborate to be a hoax, and it was reported by a number of people to have been on a Nikon website for a while.

P. P. S., added later. To emphasize the utility of a DSLR, I have the Olympus E-1, which has been criticised for having "less low noise levels at high ISO" than other DSLRs, and I have no problem using ISO 800 to get good hand-held, no flash shots in normal homes, with less light than a typical museum. Almost any DSLR's ISO 800 performance is a wonderful revelation compared to film or digicam ISO 800.

mikebinok

JKC
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 05:58:02 pm »

If you go with the Canon system, the 50/1.8 lens is very fast, very sharp, and very cheap.  I consider it a no-brainer buy for people using that system.  Nikon or Minolta may have similar lenses at similar prices, not sure.  With one of the affordable DSLRs, the 50mm lens would crop to give an apparent field of view like an 80mm lens on a full frame camera.

Combined with a EOS 350D, the 50/1.8 would do very well in low light.  There is a 50/1.4 that is even faster, but more expensive.  A zoom will give you more flexibility, but will be heavier, bulker, and not as fast.

JKC

JKC
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 12:56:42 pm »

Having been a point and shoot photographer, I have decided to try a camera which will allow more control.  I have looked at the reviews for the Panasonic FZ20, Nikon 8800, Sony F828 and the Olympus C8080.  They all seem to do well outdoors, but I'm looking for something that will give me good results indoors, without flash (specifically for museums).  Any recommendations??

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
JKC
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 02:25:02 pm »

I second the recommendation of a DSLR; the price difference is far less than the perforformance difference. I don't know about the unannounced Nikon, but the Canon Rebels and the 20D are all very good at high ISO low-light stuff. If your budget permits, get a fast lens with IS like the 70-200/2.8L IS and you'll have an excellent tool for the task you describe.

BJL

JKC
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 07:13:34 pm »

About using 50mm f/1.7 or f/1.8 lenses; they are "moderate telephoto" on any affordable DSLR, and so go against my approach of "close and wide" for hand-help shots.

Even using a moderately wide lens, I often find myself backed up against the gallery wall with large works. Also, using a shorter focal length like the 18mm wide end of a typical DSLR standard zoom lens allows using less than half the shutter speed as with a 50mm, or more than a one stop speed gain.

Still, Canon, Minolta and Nikon all have 50/1.7 or 50/1.8 lenses for under $100, and all three and Pentax too have 50mm f/1.4 options for about $200 (Pentax, Minolta) to $300 (Canon, Nikon).
Pages: [1]   Go Up