Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 Off Center Prints  (Read 1910 times)

mikemigs

z3100 Off Center Prints
« on: April 27, 2009, 04:35:20 am »

A little frustrated here.

I'm using a Mac (leopard 10.5.6) and trying to make centered prints using Photoshop CS4 to the z3100.
Can't do it. For some reason, it prints off-center on the specified paper size (11x14) even though it appears centered in the print driver window (where you see your image laid out on screen).
Some people have mentioned this before and their solution was to use a 3rd party utility like Qimage.
However, I prefer to solve this issue on the Mac in 10.5.6.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Mike.

Ernst Dinkla

z3100 Off Center Prints
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 04:53:04 am »

Quote from: mikemigs
A little frustrated here.

I'm using a Mac (leopard 10.5.6) and trying to make centered prints using Photoshop CS4 to the z3100.
Can't do it. For some reason, it prints off-center on the specified paper size (11x14) even though it appears centered in the print driver window (where you see your image laid out on screen).
Some people have mentioned this before and their solution was to use a 3rd party utility like Qimage.
However, I prefer to solve this issue on the Mac in 10.5.6.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Mike.

Not on a Mac here and always printing from Qimage but is that a sheet you print on and the paper gets out lengthwise and the usual sheet margin difference of 12-13 mm at the trailing edge shows in your print? That difference is what is needed to feed the paper and can't be printed. Either you compensate it with an additional image margin of 12 mm at the start edge or you cut it from the paper tail.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

mikemigs

z3100 Off Center Prints
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:13:35 am »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
Not on a Mac here and always printing from Qimage but is that a sheet you print on and the paper gets out lengthwise and the usual sheet margin difference of 12-13 mm at the trailing edge shows in your print? That difference is what is needed to feed the paper and can't be printed. Either you compensate it with an additional image margin of 12 mm at the start edge or you cut it from the paper tail.

I should point out that I'm using sheet paper cut to 11x14 inches. I am NOT using roll paper.
I understand what you are saying about the 12mm "header", but this measurement should already be allocated into the settings, shouldn't it?
My Epson basically prints exactly the way it's laid out in the Print window. Somehow the z3100 decides to make adjustments to my settings.

Ernst Dinkla

z3100 Off Center Prints
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:33:34 am »

Quote from: mikemigs
I should point out that I'm using sheet paper cut to 11x14 inches. I am NOT using roll paper.
I understand what you are saying about the 12mm "header", but this measurement should already be allocated into the settings, shouldn't it?
My Epson basically prints exactly the way it's laid out in the Print window. Somehow the z3100 decides to make adjustments to my settings.

There will be differences between Epson and HP software but is the difference you see half an inch ?

If so then you either have to compensate that in the image or find a HP driver or Photoshop print menu setting that compensates that automagically.

On print margins:  I now see a difference between the defaults HP driver for the Z3100 and the Z3200, the first transfers the bruto sizes the last the netto sizes to Qimage.
Having both available I have to find a way to get them the same otherwise it will be an error prone combination.

mikemigs

z3100 Off Center Prints
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:35:15 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
There will be differences between Epson and HP software but is the difference you see half an inch ?

If so then you either have to compensate that in the image or find a HP driver or Photoshop print menu setting that compensates that automagically.

On print margins:  I now see a difference between the defaults HP driver for the Z3100 and the Z3200, the first transfers the bruto sizes the last the netto sizes to Qimage.
Having both available I have to find a way to get them the same otherwise it will be an error prone combination.

I agree that a workaround is to manually adjust the margins, but it very time consuming.
I really think they should have gotten this right from the very beginning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up