Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 and Qimage  (Read 6997 times)

piko

• http://mclarenphotographers.com
Z3100 and Qimage
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:34:24 pm »

Aloha,
I have just purchased a z3100 and the printing program Qimage. My question is: how do i input paper size in Qimage? I would presume that my paper size would be 24" by 1,200" for a 100 ft. roll. In Qimage i am attempting to place multiple images at different proportions but don't know what to put for paper size.
Pleasssssssse Any help would get me started printing again.

Mahalo, Peter

j-land

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 04:37:57 am »

Paper size is set in the hp dialog box (click on the printer setup button, top right). There, you would set up a page size like 20"x24" (never the size of the whole roll, it won't let you do that anyway!). Also select "Roll" as the paper source and Qimage will set the printable area properly. Then, back in Qimage, you place your images, which have their own sizes (i.e. 8x10"), on the larger sheet you defined in the hp dialog. I've set up custom page sizes like 24"x10", so that I can print a couple of 8x10s at a time on the roll width.

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 04:43:19 am »

Quote from: piko
Aloha,
I have just purchased a z3100 and the printing program Qimage. My question is: how do i input paper size in Qimage? I would presume that my paper size would be 24" by 1,200" for a 100 ft. roll. In Qimage i am attempting to place multiple images at different proportions but don't know what to put for paper size.
Pleasssssssse Any help would get me started printing again.

Mahalo, Peter

Peter,

At the right top of Qimage's window you have the printer driver's three icons. The left one is for settings, the middle one for print start, the right one to stop a print task.
First use the left one to set the paper size in the driver. I always take a custom size and save it as say Custom2. That size has to fit the width of the roll it can  not be wider, length is no issue. If length is less than the width, you still can save that size but change the position  from portrait to lanscape in the menu below the size entry.

Then you have to set the image size in Qimage: original will pick up the size as specified in TIFFs and JPEGs, fit page will fit the size set in the driver minus 5 mm all around that is the printer margin, custom sizes that fall within the size set in the printer driver and border width etc.

I advice you to do the following: set Print to file in Qimage first, make a large print page there and try several settings in Qimage and check the saved results as JPEGs in Photoshop. It will show you the possibilities without wasting paper. Use edge marks, crop marks, to see the border effects.

On Qimage that has a steep learning process, use the excellent Learn by Example in the manual and become a member of the mailing list:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/qimage/

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

piko

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:22:18 am »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
Peter,

At the right top of Qimage's window you have the printer driver's three icons. The left one is for settings, the middle one for print start, the right one to stop a print task.
First use the left one to set the paper size in the driver. I always take a custom size and save it as say Custom2. That size has to fit the width of the roll it can  not be wider, length is no issue. If length is less than the width, you still can save that size but change the position  from portrait to lanscape in the menu below the size entry.

Then you have to set the image size in Qimage: original will pick up the size as specified in TIFFs and JPEGs, fit page will fit the size set in the driver minus 5 mm all around that is the printer margin, custom sizes that fall within the size set in the printer driver and border width etc.

I advice you to do the following: set Print to file in Qimage first, make a large print page there and try several settings in Qimage and check the saved results as JPEGs in Photoshop. It will show you the possibilities without wasting paper. Use edge marks, crop marks, to see the border effects.

On Qimage that has a steep learning process, use the excellent Learn by Example in the manual and become a member of the mailing list:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/qimage/

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Thanks guys.
I will try it out in the morning as I'm off to bed, its just past midnight here in Hawaii and i am getting a little sleeeeeepy.
Yes, i think this program will have a very step learning curve. Just one more question, in photoshop cs4 i normally let photoshop take control of the color but i see that Qimage only allows the printer to take control of color? is this the correct way to go? or am i reading it wrong? I have all the correct color profiles loaded and the printer calibrated itself so i guess it will be ok. I have always had good results from photoshop but my first Qimage (only print so far) came out darker and a little muddier than expected.
I have only had the printer for 3 hours and Qimage for 1 hour, maybe i am doing something wrong or maybe i need to read a little more. Guess i should print the same image in both Qimage and  photoshop cs4 that way i will see if there is a difference when the printer takes charge of the color as per Qimage.

Thanks, peter

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 03:54:47 pm »

Thanks guys.
I will try it out in the morning as I'm off to bed, its just past midnight here in Hawaii and i am getting a little sleeeeeepy.
Yes, i think this program will have a very step learning curve. Just one more question, in photoshop cs4 i normally let photoshop take control of the color but i see that Qimage only allows the printer to take control of color? is this the correct way to go? or am i reading it wrong? I have all the correct color profiles loaded and the printer calibrated itself so i guess it will be ok. I have always had good results from photoshop but my first Qimage (only print so far) came out darker and a little muddier than expected.
I have only had the printer for 3 hours and Qimage for 1 hour, maybe i am doing something wrong or maybe i need to read a little more. Guess i should print the same image in both Qimage and  photoshop cs4 that way i will see if there is a difference when the printer takes charge of the color as per Qimage.

Thanks, peter

Qimage allows 3 kinds of CM choices: Qimage CM off, let Printer driver control CM, Qimage CM on. There's a difference between the first two, with CM off in Qimage it will also strip the image data of any assigned profiles so if one selects that and the printer driver has CM on it will not know what profile was assigned to the image data and it has to make an assumption (most likely select sRGB). I use it in some B&W workflows but with profiled workflows it is not a good choice. The second choice Qimage is set to let the printer driver handle CM, it will transfer the image data with the assigned profile so the printer driver can do its CM properly. Qimage CM on is set by selecting a printer profile in Qimage's CM and you have to switch the HP driver CM off (which isn't the default).

The HP driver has a habit of falling back to its defaults: sizes, CM settings etc when used with Qimage. Save the driver settings as a Printing Shortcut in the driver menu and the settings will stay better. Better even, switch the driver CM default to off down under in the driver preference settings.

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:57:04 pm by Ernst Dinkla »

piko

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 04:00:09 pm »

I seem to be following all of the instructions to a tee. I still cannt get my z3100 to print on qimage . I have listened to how you explained it but in my case it (qimage)reverts from my specified paper of 24" wide roll to a paper size pf its own liking just before it starts to print. I am going crazy on this one. any suggestions? Maybe if someone could give me an example to follow.
I specify a paper size in Qimage of 24" x  19" and everything works fine until just before qimage sends it to the printer then qimage reverts to a SMALLER size of paper and lets me know that my image will no longer fit on the paper!!!! what am i doing wrong? Please i'm pulling my hair out on this one.

Peter

piko

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 05:26:39 pm »

Quote from: j-land
Paper size is set in the hp dialog box (click on the printer setup button, top right). There, you would set up a page size like 20"x24" (never the size of the whole roll, it won't let you do that anyway!). Also select "Roll" as the paper source and Qimage will set the printable area properly. Then, back in Qimage, you place your images, which have their own sizes (i.e. 8x10"), on the larger sheet you defined in the hp dialog. I've set up custom page sizes like 24"x10", so that I can print a couple of 8x10s at a time on the roll width.

I really do not know what i am setting wrong. I have done as you both have said and still it will not allow my to print from the roll. I have the custom paper set to 24x16 and that seems to be accepted until i go to print then Qimage instantly switches back to a default paper size and tells me my image is too large and needs to be split into multiple images!!! I learned both photoshop cs4 /lightroom but can't get this program to work.....Just about giving up on my $50 dollars!!!!

rdonson

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:33:13 pm »

In Qimage print properties did you choose "fit to page"?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:33:31 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

namartinnz

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 11:30:13 pm »

I really do not know what i am setting wrong. I have done as you both have said and still it will not allow my to print from the roll. I have the custom paper set to 24x16 and that seems to be accepted until i go to print then Qimage instantly switches back to a default paper size and tells me my image is too large and needs to be split into multiple images!!! I learned both photoshop cs4 /lightroom but can't get this program to work.....Just about giving up on my $50 dollars!!!!

I had this happen from time to time when using my Z3100.  I was just setting under the 'custom' setting, then it would forget after clicking ok. When doing custom setting save the image under a different title name like "Custom Size". Put in your dimensions then press ok.

Neal
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:31:13 pm by namartinnz »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 11:12:42 am »

After setting up a Custom paper size you have to close the Printer Properties Window, then re-open it.  You should then see your new Custom size and you can select it.  It should "stick" then.  If for some reason you don't see it then I suggest either closing Qimage and re-opening it, or reboot.  I had this problem once (created about 5 new sizes that didn't appear in my list, but a restart made them appear.....I just can't recall whether I restarted Qimage, the PC, or maybe even the Printer.

Let us know how it goes.

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 04:26:14 pm »

Quote from: mcbroomf
After setting up a Custom paper size you have to close the Printer Properties Window, then re-open it.  You should then see your new Custom size and you can select it.  It should "stick" then.  If for some reason you don't see it then I suggest either closing Qimage and re-opening it, or reboot.  I had this problem once (created about 5 new sizes that didn't appear in my list, but a restart made them appear.....I just can't recall whether I restarted Qimage, the PC, or maybe even the Printer.

Let us know how it goes.

After some upgrades there was a shorter path to get a custom size stick in the Z3100 driver when used with Qimage, the Z3200 driver behaves a bit like the first Z3100 driver.
You have to create the custom size and give it a name like Custom 3, close the printer driver in Qimage. Open it again and then select in the normal sizes menu under More the Custom3 size you created. If you made the other selections in the driver menu like Application CM on etc then go to the Printing Shortcut menu and save the total with a meaningful name. Next time click on that shortcut and change the Custom3 size in the custom size menu to the size ytou need then and save it with the same name. That makes the detour not necessary if I'm not mistaken. Printers are off now and little time to check it.

Qimage and the HP Z drivers are not that compatible but you learn to live with it.

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

piko

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 11:24:49 pm »

I seem to be following all of the instructions to a tee. I still cannt get my z3100 to print on qimage . I have listened to how you explained it but in my case it (qimage)reverts from my specified paper of 24" wide roll to a paper size pf its own liking just before it starts to print. I am going crazy on this one. any suggestions? Maybe if someone could give me an example to follow.
I specify a paper size in Qimage of 24" x  19" and everything works fine until just before qimage sends it to the printer then qimage reverts to a SMALLER size of paper and lets me know that my image will no longer fit on the paper!!!! what am i doing wrong? Please i'm pulling my hair out on this one.

Peter

I would like to thank you all for trying so hard to get me up and running. Everything is now working fine. It appears that i wasnt doing anything wrong after all.
Everyone reading this should store the information deep inside their memory banks as i am sure that the topic will come up again and if it does here is the answer.

All that was wrong was i was using an out of date driver for my z3100. The printer arrived with the out of date driver but every time i tried to update  via the HP web site i was cut off. Well, this morning i persivered and low and behold, as soon as the new driver loaded no more problems with Qimage...................perfect prints evertime.
Once again thanks to everone.

peter

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 02:23:41 am »

Quote from: namartinnz
I had this happen from time to time when using my Z3100.  I was just setting under the 'custom' setting, then it would forget after clicking ok. When doing custom setting save the image under a different title name like "Custom Size". Put in your dimensions then press ok.

Neal

As Ernst said , if you save out Printing Shortcuts in the driver properties , this will reduce the forgetfulness of the driver.

On Windows XP , my shortcuts are remembered , and there is even a use last settings for paper type set up  in Qimage somewhere (can't remember exactly what it's called or where it is) when I read the manual, and see it in the interface sometimes.

piko

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 05:53:25 am »

Quote from: neil snape
As Ernst said , if you save out Printing Shortcuts in the driver properties , this will reduce the forgetfulness of the driver.

On Windows XP , my shortcuts are remembered , and there is even a use last settings for paper type set up  in Qimage somewhere (can't remember exactly what it's called or where it is) when I read the manual, and see it in the interface sometimes.

Sorry, i am not quite sure what you are trying to tell me?
Please, I want to know as it would sure make life easier, Qimage started forgetting my custom paper sizes again (randonly) and reverting back to 8" x10" paper size.

Peter

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 05:59:01 am »

Sorry, i am not quite sure what you are trying to tell me?
Please, I want to know as it would sure make life easier, Qimage started forgetting my custom paper sizes again (randonly) and reverting back to 8" x10" paper size.

Peter

In the printer properties you should be able to save out a printing shortcut with all the settinghs you made for that paper, things like roll/gloss enhancer /passes /auto cut etc. When they are set then next time you print they will be already set in that shortcut for this paper. That is how it works on XP, not sure on Vista.

piko

Z3100 and Qimage
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 06:16:51 am »

Quote from: neil snape
In the printer properties you should be able to save out a printing shortcut with all the settinghs you made for that paper, things like roll/gloss enhancer /passes /auto cut etc. When they are set then next time you print they will be already set in that shortcut for this paper. That is how it works on XP, not sure on Vista.

Is that the " create new paper preset tab" ? that is where it allows me to choose those things that you mention. I just made one for HP Satin Baryte. After printing i noticed a bit of bronzeing, that paper dosnt allow one to use gloss enhancer so hopefullly it will go away with a couple of coats of varnish/Glamour2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up