Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 14 mm lens for Canon full frame  (Read 4283 times)

jsch

14 mm lens for Canon full frame
« on: April 25, 2009, 09:22:26 am »

Hi,

I'm working on a project where I need it really wide: 15-17 mm are giving the best perspective for what I want. Since this runs for some time now I would like to share some experiences and perhaps there is some input form someone else too. It is not about the question what is the sharpest, highest resolution lens. I have to work handheld anyway. I'm quite happy with my images so far. I'm photographing for a long time now (35mm, Hasselblad V, Sinar now Canon full frame since it is out) but have never worked with such wide angles.

I use the following workflow:
- Canon 5D MarkII, handheld (is a must), AF, Sigma 12-24, Sigma 14/2.8 and the Canon 14/2.8L, ISO 800-3200, f8
- Lightroom 2 as far as possible -> Photoshop with PT lens plugin (for distortion and perspective correction, would be a dream to have that included into Lightroom).

So now my experience:

Focusing is more critical than I thought. My subject is in the range between 1-10m. You can't only set distance even with f8 and depth of field will do the trick.

Canon 14/2.8L and Sigma 14/2.8 look like the same lens in different barrels: both sharper than Sigma 12-24 if focused correctly, but unreliable auto focus and sharpness is sometimes only in one or the other corner, can't reproduce focusing. I found out that the image jumps around during focusing between 1m and infinity it looks like the lens element that is moved for focusing just wobbles around if you go from 1 m to infinity (Canon and Sigma behave almost identical), I see this during if I'm using live view on my 5D Mark II. If you correct distortion (which is way more than with the Sigma 12-24@15) in PTLens you loose some wide angle and you get more like a 15mm field of view.

Sigma 12-24@15: not as sharp as the fixed focal lengths, almost no distorsion and chromatic abberation, no jumping around image during focusing between 1m and infinity, reliable auto focus and sharpness in all corners. Mechanical better but not as sharp as the fixed focal lengths, IF THEY FOCUS CORRECTLY.

Similar experience with wide angle optics?

Best,
Johannes
Remark: Sure I should use the Nikon 14-24/2.8 with an adapter and wait for the TS-E 17 mm. But you can't always get what you want.

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:33:43 am »

Quote from: jsch
Focusing is more critical than I thought. My subject is in the range between 1-10m. You can't only set distance even with f8 and depth of field will do the trick.

Now, you made me curious about your subject, what is it if you don't me asking.

If you can work with mf lenses and 18mm is sufficient then I highly recommend the new Zeiss 18mm, for 14mm Tamron makes one which imo is superior to the Sigma and Canon lenses, its only equal is the Nikon 14mm, some say that they're both made by Tamron.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

GiorgioNiro

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:25:52 am »

I personally love the 14mm on a full frame camera!

I have used both the Nikon and Canon 14mm lenses.

bobby1028

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 01:22:20 am »

Quote from: GiorgioNiro

I use the newer F2.8 version of the Sigma, find it very sharp, nice contrast, minimal barrel distortion...

michaelnotar

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 01:48:50 am »

had the 16-35/2.8 canon, 1st version, replaced it with the sigma 12-24, love it. like you said no dist or CA. happy with the focus, its my slowest lens (fstop wise, doesnt bother me). 16-35 had strong CA, i also tested the 14mm 1st version, it has the worst CA i ever say, huge red CA.

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:22:55 am »

Quote from: GiorgioNiro

Nice picts Giorgio, shot with a Kodak?
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk
Pages: [1]   Go Up