Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Printers  (Read 2764 times)

jim t

• jimtsioles photography
Canon Printers
« on: April 24, 2009, 06:00:47 pm »

Just got off the phone with a Canon tech.  They told me none of their printers are designed to print from the Prophoto RGB workspace and that they recommend srgb.  This shocks me.  

Wondering what anyone else thinks about this.

John Hollenberg

Canon Printers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:54:08 pm »

Quote from: jim t
Just got off the phone with a Canon tech.  They told me none of their printers are designed to print from the Prophoto RGB workspace and that they recommend srgb.  This shocks me.  

I have been printing from Prophoto RGB for the last 1-2 years, so it is a mystery to me what they might be talking about.  Perhaps when printing without using custom profiles???

--John

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Canon Printers
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:55:33 pm »

Yeah, this makes no sense to me. You're going to convert your image to the profile for the output paper/printer combo anyway. I'm getting stunning prints out of my new ipf5100 and all of my images are done in ProPhoto RGB up until I print.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Jeremy Payne

Canon Printers
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 08:04:02 pm »

What was it exactly that prompted your call to Canon?  It doesn't surprise me that Canon retail customer support doesn't understand color management, etc.

The advice to stick with sRGB is probably good advice 99% of the time.  The gamut of the printer likely encompasses sRGB, the monitor likely shows nearly all of it and the advice given results in prints that look like the screen ... safe and sound advice for all but the most serious idiots like us.

What was your original question for Canon?

jim t

• jimtsioles photography
Canon Printers
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 02:23:37 am »

My original question was about soft proofing in photoshop with canon heavy weight satin.

I mentioned i did not have a profile for this paper, but they made it clear that srgb is still recomended for a working color space for all their printers.

Some techs are definetly more informed than others....?

Etienne Cassar

Canon Printers
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 03:54:08 am »

I don't think that what the tech said is correct.  In fact there is a section in the user manual for the iPF5100 dedicated to printing an Adobe RGB image.  So printing from sRGB colourspace only is definitely not the case.  I do not own the iPF5100 as yet but I just ordered one this week and should be delivered in 4weeks time.  Can't wait to start printing myself.
Etienne.

Jeremy Payne

Canon Printers
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 07:14:21 am »

My original question was about soft proofing in photoshop with canon heavy weight satin.
I mentioned i did not have a profile for this paper, but they made it clear that srgb is still recomended for a working color space for all their printers.
They recommend ... and you ignore.  If I were you'd I'd get my hands on a profile for the paper/printer combo ... and do what you know you need to do to get quality prints.

Some techs are definetly more informed than others....?
For sure ... but I also wouldn't expect them to necessarily understand an aspect of the workflow that really doesn't involve their product.  As you say, softproofing isn't a feature of the Canon printer but of Photoshop, right?

Dan Wells

Canon Printers
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:20:29 am »

I send ProPhoto to my iPF6100 all the time, and, as a matter of fact I seem to recall that somewhere in the Canon documentation it warns AGAINST using sRGB, because the printer's gamut is so much wider than sRGB. One place where the "stick with sRGB" advice might be coming from is some of the smaller, consumer-oriented (4 or 6 color) printers - is the original poster's printer an iPF (or a Pixma Pro, which would also have a wide gamut)? Since the Canon users on this forum tend to be iPF users, we may have read iPF into the post where it's not stated - if the printer is, in fact, an 8x5x11 inch IP4600 or something similar, the Canon tech's advice makes perfect sense (and a tech who works with the consumer printers may not even have considered the iPF or Pixma Pro lines when saying "all of our printers are made for sRGB"). If the printer IS an iPF, though, the tech's error becomes a serious one.

-Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up