Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for Emotion 54LV users about CF card issue  (Read 15143 times)

Prakash Patel

• http://www.prakashpatel.com
Question for Emotion 54LV users about CF card issue
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 10:18:46 am »

Quote from: avelpavel
A simple update of the issue:

Sinar Techs said the problem can be using the 54LV with Sandisk EXTREME III cards. Maybe the EXTREME IV cards will work, so I will give a try.

Plaese let me know which kind of CF cards you use (ULTRA II, EXTREME III or IV, LEXAR) without troubles, I think could be useful to everyone.

Regards

roberto

I have both 16gb and 8gb Sandisk Extreme III cards and have used them with no issues on an eMotion 75 (50 asa).

Once I upgraded to an eMotion e75lv (100 asa with the larger LCD), I have experienced intermittent issues when transferring files
(moving instead of copying) from the internal drive to the CF card.

I am not a technical guy, but simple Sherlock Holmes logic tells me that if my 7-16 gb & 2-8bg cards worked flawlessly with a 50 asa e75
but develop intermittent issues with the 100asa e75lv.....its not the CF cards but the new firmware that is not functioning properly.

I am extremely happy with both the performance of my back as well as the dealer support from both Jack Strobel/ Calumet and Colin King/ SinarBron.

This is the only back on the market that is truly a high performance product and as a result there are redundant components that allow a workaround to
this intermittent issue. While it is a PITA and extremely inefficient to shoot to the onboard internal storage and copy the files ( instead of moving from the internal storage)
to a CF card or transfer directly from the internal storage to a laptop. This solution does not work on high production shoots where you are producing 15-20+
shots in a day.

I am happy to have invested in a high performance Porche level product, the MiniVan response of using older CF cards with slow transfer rates is not just unacceptable,
it is incomprehensible.

There are are bumps in the road and this is one of them that I am sure it will be be addressed as a firmware issue by Sinar.

There are many goofy missteps and marketing dramas that are executed by other MDFB manufacturers.

The one concept  that puts the Sinar backs in a different league (other than file quality and technical issues) is having  proprietary and universal
solutions both in hardware (interface plates for multiple camera systems) and software (producing DNG's for any raw processor).

This e65 back that shoots a DNG is absolutely brilliant.....I hope they introduce a non microlens full frame sensor with a larger capacity internal storage for architectural/landscape shooters

I am straying off topic......

prakash
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:35:00 am by Prakash Patel »

Adina

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 04:12:46 am »

use sundisk EXTREME IV 4GB without problems ...

Greetings
Adina

avelpavel

• http://www.pastrovicchio.com
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 06:15:51 am »

Emotion update...  

I have tried new cards, Sandisk Ultra II 8 Gb and Extreme IV 8 Gb

110 shots, 41 images corrupted (internal are ok, so the problem is not of CF cards, having tested 8 of them, all brand new and 3 different models)

At Sinar techs told me via mail they have problems to reproduce the problem, maybe my back is the one to look for?

Greetings to all

Roberto

www.robertopastrovicchio.com

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 06:31:14 am »

Time to send it in I think. Can your dealer give you a loaner for a while?

Ben

laughingbear

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 07:52:48 pm »

For what it's worth.

I experienced/reported this from July 2008 - October 2008.

It happened to me on two different backs, both e75, and with both Sandisc 3 and 4 cards. (both 8 Gig Versions)

IMHO opinion it is the back causing this problem, I would start looking into the formatting part of the software, I find it likely that there is the bug to be found.

Hope they find a solution for you guys!

Best wishes
Georg

P.S. On a funny side note, when I sent back the first defect DB to Switzerland, Lorenz Koch made a remark that he is going to nail it on the wall. That was because I lost a lot of valuable work. So, for his convinience I packed a 16" long massive nail into the package when I sent it back. <grins> ....Never got a pic though from the back on the walll....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:07:28 pm by laughingbear »

Carsten W

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 06:25:09 am »

I have now also seen this problem, with an 8GB Ultra II card. It worked fine for some time, but I think the problem started as soon as I formatted the card with the back, after moving the images to the computer. The next time I used it I had the problem.

Is anyone aware of any way to recover the shots? It is not a serious situation, since almost all the shots are just tourist-type shots (I am on vacation), and can be repeated in the future (my sister's family has a house nearby), but it would be great to be able to get them back.

The back is an eMotion 54 LV by the way. It happened with firmware version 5.09, i.e. the latest at this time (2009-07-01).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:27:00 am by carstenw »
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

avelpavel

• http://www.pastrovicchio.com
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 06:37:46 am »

Hi Carsten,

my 54LV is at Sinar right now to find out what's the problem with it. I will post some news as I get it.

The double images happened with every card I tried (Sandisk Ultra II, Extreme III or IV) and sometimes the shots on the CF card where really different from the same images saved in the internal memory. They had low contrast, low saturation, like washed out compared to the internal ones. Have a look, maybe it happens to your back too?

I have not find out a way of recovering the lost images.

At the moment I have a loaner back E75LV and I have no issues with it.

The only thing I have found with both backs and to take into account is that if you finish the memory space in the internal memory the back can't write further images in the CF card, it seems it has first to save the image inside and then copy it to the CF when you have the CF+Internal option on.

Roberto

Quote from: carstenw
I have now also seen this problem, with an 8GB Ultra II card. It worked fine for some time, but I think the problem started as soon as I formatted the card with the back, after moving the images to the computer. The next time I used it I had the problem.

Is anyone aware of any way to recover the shots? It is not a serious situation, since almost all the shots are just tourist-type shots (I am on vacation), and can be repeated in the future (my sister's family has a house nearby), but it would be great to be able to get them back.

The back is an eMotion 54 LV by the way. It happened with firmware version 5.09, i.e. the latest at this time (2009-07-01).

Carsten W

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 09:03:03 am »

Quote from: avelpavel
The double images happened with every card I tried (Sandisk Ultra II, Extreme III or IV) and sometimes the shots on the CF card where really different from the same images saved in the internal memory. They had low contrast, low saturation, like washed out compared to the internal ones. Have a look, maybe it happens to your back too?

I was using the card (Ultra II 8GB) for several days without trouble. I think the trouble started when I used the back to format the card, after moving the images to the computer. The next time I went out the images were corrupted. They look correct in eXposure, but I cannot copy them to the harddrive properly. When I try, the first few images are actually from the day before, and most of the later ones are completely corrupted, weird colours, banding, and other errors.

I noticed during one day that I had a thin band at the top of a few images. I committed this to memory, but the images were mostly fine, so I didn't examine further.

Since the images look okay in eXposure, I think that the thumbnail made it fine, but the rest of the file is either written incorrectly, or the file system is corrupted, and loses track of data in each file, after the first few kilobytes.

I used Disk Utility (Mac) to make a complete copy of the card, and this copy exhibits the same problems, so I can send these images to Sinar once I get home. Maybe it will help them to examine the images, to see why the thumbnail is correct in eXposure but the images cannot be copied.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up