Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lake District, England  (Read 4830 times)

Gary Ferguson

• http://
Lake District, England
« on: August 17, 2004, 04:45:05 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Bill, what time of the year are you visiting? During the summer school holidays (early July to the the first week in September) the narrow roads in the Lake District can be fairly crowded, so you might want to pick a central location such as Ambleside or Keswick to minimise traveling hassles.

Outside of this period it's more relaxed and you could base yourself pretty much anywhere. Keswick is in the wilder north, close to the Castlerigg Stone Circle, Stonehenge's smaller brother, and much more attractive as it's less visited and you can walk around the stones and get some spooky daybreak shots. Ambleside is in the more picturesque south, handy to see where Beatrix Potter wrote, John Ruskin painted, and Wordsworth wandered lonely as a cloud.

It's a beautiful area, but it's wet. The weather systems cross the Atlantic and the first high ground they encounter is the hills of the Lake District. Guess that's where the lakes come from! It's also really an area for walkers rather than sightseers, in fact it's pretty much the only bit of England not thick with castles, cathedrals, and grand country homes, but it is very special and very lovely.[/font]

Tony Collins

Lake District, England
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 08:20:31 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Had a week of brilliant weather on my trip in September 17 years ago. We stayed in Ambleside and did some cycling and walking. If you only plan a short stay avoid weekends as the area is an easy drive from the major centres of population in the north of England. The area is small and if you stay centrally all the sites are in easy reach.

If you are intending to visit any houses and gardens consider an annual membership of the National Trust. It may work out cheaper than paying for individual visits and means that you can pop in for a quick look without feeling that you have to stay half a day to get value from your ticket.[/font]

BillMarshall

Lake District, England
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 03:30:18 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Any folks from England here? I'm thinking of a trip to Europe and taking in the English Lake District as part of that. I've fallen in love with the scenery (I love sites like Lake District Desktops). Does anybody know a good town/center to base ourselves in there?

Thanks,

Bill[/font]

CJD

Lake District, England
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 05:09:57 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi Bill

Some good sound advice from Gary,  The "Lakes" (we often abbreviated the "Lake District" to just  "The Lakes") can be very very busy during August.  The weather can also be (and has been since mid June) bad with lots of rain.

Ambleside and Keswick are good bases, but are squarely aimed at tourists.  Try to get off the beaten track if you can (may be difficult if your on a short trip): the north-western and northern parts of the Lakes tend to be quieter if you need to be away from the crowds.

If you're a confident driver, make sure you go over the Hard Knott & Wrynose passes.

And make sure you try english (warm) beer !!!

Hope you have a good time

Chris
Derbyshire, UK[/font]

Penelope

Lake District, England
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 03:08:17 am »

Apart from the towns mentioned, it's very feasible to get Bed & Breakfeast accomodation in farms or self-catering cottages out in the middle of the country.  For some reason these never seem to be very far from at least one pub - which is where you would get dinner (do check though).

As teens our parents used to take us for a weeks hiking in the Lakes or Dales every October.  The autumn weather always seemed to be quite nice, if brisk, and you avoided those horrible leaden dead-end-of-summer colours that you definitely get in August- early September.

Penny

pobrien3

Lake District, England
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 07:44:59 am »

I would never go in the Summer - too many tourists and the roads are fearfully clogged.  For me, the best and most dramatic scenery is with snow on the hills, and sun breaking through dark clouds. Late Autumn and early spring are my favourite times, and then the break from walking is best enjoyed - sitting by a roaring fire with a couple of pints of Jennings! Take a peek at a bit of my site at http://atm2.cyberec.com/~pobrien/lakes where I posted some hastily-scanned old trannies.  Not high art, but gives you a flavour of weather and scenic conditions outside Summer time.  Some lovely little guest houses in Rydal, and very close to great walking too - Dungeon Ghyll and Hardknott Pass not far away.  The English Lake district also boasts some truly excellent Michelin-starred restaurants too.  I've lived away from Blighty for many years now, and The Lakes are one of the things I miss most.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Lake District, England
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 06:47:18 pm »

Spring can be good.  Keswick would be my choice, in the northern lakes.

http://www.brightnewlight.co.uk/gallery....695aefb

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Tenner

Lake District, England
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 05:42:00 pm »

Hi, Bill - Give it enough time and you'll have as many suggestions as there are villages ( well, almost ). The problem is finding an 'easy' centre, rather than a spot which means long trecks or doubling back on your tracks when trying to visit a variety of places. In addition, finding one that isn't too busy is easier said than done at certain times of the year. Planning your trip to coincide with the  schools' term-time is best done by checking letting agents' websites - the prices increase during school holidays, obviously. We were lucky this year, we rented in early May in Hawkeshead - small village, short walk to the pubs etc. The weather ( and light ) and Spring-colours were superb - but we were lucky, I guess.
One word of warning - we booked, as usual, via the 'net - and this was the first time that we'd met addition ( hidden) fees that put the price up - arrangment fees, property insurance - which added a further 45BGP ( about 10%) to our week's stay. [ google = 'the Lakes' will give any number of holiday letting sites]. But where ever you stay, be sure to have a good time !

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
Lake District, England
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 07:45:42 pm »

I think Bill must have been by now (started more than a year ago). Perhaps he can tell us where he went?
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri
Pages: [1]   Go Up