Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MBT shoes good for photographers?  (Read 7860 times)

dmilgram

MBT shoes good for photographers?
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:46:49 pm »

My question: Have any of you purchased MBT shoes (which have a curved bottom that forces you to continually maintain balance) and used them while shooting? I'm wondering whether their design makes it difficult to hand hold a camera steadily.

SteveLgBch

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:05:49 pm »

Quote from: dmilgram
My question: Have any of you purchased MBT shoes (which have a curved bottom that forces you to continually maintain balance) and used them while shooting? I'm wondering whether their design makes it difficult to hand hold a camera steadily.
I have a pair and I LOVE the shoes!  But its usually difficult (at least for me), especially what kind of ground your standing on, to maintain balance.  I've tried it with a monopod and sometimes given up if I'm using a slow speed.  I just sit there and sway and can't get a good shot off.  And with my 5D MKII, forget trying to use video.  Most of the time I use a tripod, but if I'm not, I usually use flat shoes.  I love the thick padding on the MBT's and would love to find flat shoes with that same type of padding so I could easily photograph with them.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 11:39:00 pm »

Quote from: SteveLgBch
I have a pair and I LOVE the shoes!  But its usually difficult (at least for me), especially what kind of ground your standing on, to maintain balance.  I've tried it with a monopod and sometimes given up if I'm using a slow speed.  I just sit there and sway and can't get a good shot off.  And with my 5D MKII, forget trying to use video.  Most of the time I use a tripod, but if I'm not, I usually use flat shoes.  I love the thick padding on the MBT's and would love to find flat shoes with that same type of padding so I could easily photograph with them.

Try skate shoes. No cleats, so have to use some other peddles if biking.

Er1kksen

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 04:26:01 pm »

schrodingerscat, I think you've gotten mixed up and think he's referring to MTB shoes. MBT shoes are something different entirely: http://www.swissmasaius.com/Default.aspx?lang=en-US

So I'm not sure that the cleats and pedal system are really a question here.  

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 08:56:21 pm »

Attach crampons for when taking photos whilst wearing these shoes!  

How effective do you find them. I've used sobothane insoles for years and wearing shoes without them is so brutal. Yet before I tried soborthanes, I never noticed how hard most shoes were. Is this design similar? And does it then mean all other shoes feel awful in comparison?
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 10:30:13 pm »

I got a pair when they first came out and I've really never liked them for various reasons regarding fit, etc and other reasons too.   I prefer a well made hiking shoe/boot instead.   I would not try to shoot in them handheld. eleanor

Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

schrodingerscat

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 01:12:56 pm »

Quote from: Er1kksen
schrodingerscat, I think you've gotten mixed up and think he's referring to MTB shoes. MBT shoes are something different entirely: http://www.swissmasaius.com/Default.aspx?lang=en-US

So I'm not sure that the cleats and pedal system are really a question here.  

He was talking about wanting padded flat shoes.

Don't know of many cleated shoes that have perfectly flat soles, as they are made for a single purpose(which isn't walking or standing) .

A good pair of clipped peddles will achieve the same result and allow for the use of street shoes.

jjj

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 06:31:34 am »

Quote from: SteveLgBch
I love the thick padding on the MBT's and would love to find flat shoes with that same type of padding so I could easily photograph with them.
I put sorbothane double stike insoles in all my shoes. That will probably be as good as the MBTs from a reducing shock point of view. You need to buy shoes with insoles than can be removed [most trainer/walking shoes] or that are deep enough inside to accomodate the thick insole. There's a thinner version [full strike], but obviously not as effective.
Double strikes

jjj

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 06:36:50 am »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
He was talking about wanting padded flat shoes.

Don't know of many cleated shoes that have perfectly flat soles, as they are made for a single purpose(which isn't walking or standing) .

A good pair of clipped peddles will achieve the same result and allow for the use of street shoes.
To repaeat Er1kksen's point - MTB [mountain biking] shoes are very different form MBT shoes - which are nothing to do with cycling.

Also I have have had many cleated shoes [for biking] that have had 'flat' soles as the cleats are inset.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 06:38:03 am by jjj »

mjk3423

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 03:14:09 pm »

Quote from: jjj
I put sorbothane double stike insoles in all my shoes. That will probably be as good as the MBTs from a reducing shock point of view. You need to buy shoes with insoles than can be removed [most trainer/walking shoes] or that are deep enough inside to accomodate the thick insole. There's a thinner version [full strike], but obviously not as effective.
Double strikes

Hello everyone,

I have two pairs of MBTS -- regular and hiking boots.  I recommend them for walking around but I do not recommend them for photography.  I agree with everyone else -- they are too wobbly when standing still (by design) and will compromise a steady shot.

wolfy

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 12:05:15 am »

Quote from: mjk3423
Hello everyone,

I have two pairs of MBTS -- regular and hiking boots.  I recommend them for walking around but I do not recommend them for photography.  I agree with everyone else -- they are too wobbly when standing still (by design) and will compromise a steady shot.

I usually try, but fail, to find a matched pair (left/right) of pirate peg-legs.

So instead I end up wearing a mens-size toe-shoe on one foot which I wave in the air for balance while hopping on a stilt on the other leg.

Thank heaven for I.S. lenses!

[Is this thread for real?]

For studio work, I plan to cover the floor with ball bearings.  Do you think this will make steady shooting more difficult? ( I often have swim-fins on when inside.)

Please tell me if I say anything dumb, since I'll have no idea myself.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 02:53:59 am »

I can't see they would be any use for walking with other than around town on paved footways, then who would want to be seen in them around town they look a complete joke.
Talk about creating a market for a product no one needs, how many years has Man been walking upright without rocking chairs strapped to their feet?

Kevin.
Kevin.

Er1kksen

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 09:26:14 am »

Well, Kevin, he was doing it for quite a long time before he started wearing cushy shoes everywhere that coddle his feet into lumps of goo and wreak havoc on his posture if not fitted just right. Of course, the real solution would be to spend more time barefoot and let your feet develop naturally, but that's not culturally acceptable. Thus, we have endless varieties of insoles and the like, on top of which we have half-solutions like shoes with round soles...

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 11:22:51 am »

Well, Kevin, he was doing it for quite a long time before he started wearing cushy shoes everywhere that coddle his feet into lumps of goo and wreak havoc on his posture if not fitted just right. Of course, the real solution would be to spend more time barefoot and let your feet develop naturally, but that's not culturally acceptable. Thus, we have endless varieties of insoles and the like, on top of which we have half-solutions like shoes with round soles...

Even barefoot we don't develop curved feet, I can't think of any creature that developed curved feet in the whole of evolution, if it is so much better somewhere an animal would have curved feet. There are many shaped feet but non can I think of that are inspired by a rocking chair.

Kevin.
Kevin.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 11:44:49 am »

"Jimmy's down! Jimmy's got a compound fracture! Jimmy's gonna get you, Kramer! Jimmy holds grudges!"

Er1kksen

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 12:30:04 pm »

Quote from: KevinA
Even barefoot we don't develop curved feet, I can't think of any creature that developed curved feet in the whole of evolution, if it is so much better somewhere an animal would have curved feet. There are many shaped feet but non can I think of that are inspired by a rocking chair.

Kevin.

You are quite correct (    ), however I think you misinterpreted what I meant. Prior to nice cushy shoes, when it was just our bare feet against whatever surface we may have encountered, there were higher demands on the natural shock-absorbing systems in our feet and our body's stabilizing (good-posture-and-balance-inducing) muscles. Since we've decided to remove those demands, products like the MBT shoes are developed with the idea of reintroducing some of those demands (in this case on the balance/stabilizing systems). Which should in theory produce some improvement. Of course, it'd be a lot simpler to just take one's shoes off and let your feet and stabilizing system develop and condition themselves naturally, but hey, who ever made a profit encouraging people to do something like that?

It's not better to have curved feet. It's just having curved feet introduces some factors that seek to replicate natural factors that would lead to better health, misguided as the approach may be.

wolfy

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 04:47:53 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
"Jimmy's down! Jimmy's got a compound fracture! Jimmy's gonna get you, Kramer! Jimmy holds grudges!"

HaHa!

Love the episode where Kramer had dental work done, and was trying out the weird high half-sole sneakers, and got invited to the Mel Torme dinner, as a drooling handicapped guest.

Classic!! :-)

Think those shoes would make steady shooting difficult?

I just went back to flip-flops.

Was spending too much time changing footwear from my Earth-shoes, to my calf-developing shoes, to my hang upside-down bat shoes, etc., etc.
Besides, I could never decide which to wear on my balance-ball.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 03:16:23 am »

You are quite correct (    ), however I think you misinterpreted what I meant. Prior to nice cushy shoes, when it was just our bare feet against whatever surface we may have encountered, there were higher demands on the natural shock-absorbing systems in our feet and our body's stabilizing (good-posture-and-balance-inducing) muscles. Since we've decided to remove those demands, products like the MBT shoes are developed with the idea of reintroducing some of those demands (in this case on the balance/stabilizing systems). Which should in theory produce some improvement. Of course, it'd be a lot simpler to just take one's shoes off and let your feet and stabilizing system develop and condition themselves naturally, but hey, who ever made a profit encouraging people to do something like that?

It's not better to have curved feet. It's just having curved feet introduces some factors that seek to replicate natural factors that would lead to better health, misguided as the approach may be.

I think it was a bet that went further than intended," I bet you can't get anybody to wear these ridiculous shoes in public" "Well I bet I can and I bet you can't get anyone to buy a toothbrush you brush your tongue with" and so it began.

Kevin.
Kevin.

kitalight

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 11:31:21 pm »

To answer your question simply....they are designed for motion, forward motion....not for standing still, let alone with stability...
I was trying them on yesterday and the "anti-shoe' salesclerk at the Walking Company made that point to me....that she wouldn't wear it at work because it's not stable enough for standing around the store.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:32:15 pm by kitalight »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 12:10:58 am »

To answer your question simply....they are designed for motion, forward motion....not for standing still, let alone with stability...
I was trying them on yesterday and the "anti-shoe' salesclerk at the Walking Company made that point to me....that she wouldn't wear it at work because it's not stable enough for standing around the store.

I wear them all the time. On every commercial shoot, everything. They are great on your knees if you have bad ones. I wish I had them 20 years ago, my knees would be in much better shape. The only thing they are not good for is hiking where you need to do allot  of scrambling, you can't dig your heal in like a regular shoe.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up