Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remove AA filter?  (Read 23128 times)

Phil Indeblanc

Remove AA filter?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2009, 03:44:54 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
A very clear example can be seen here:
DPReview test of Sigma DP2
Best regards
Erik

I have seen a number of those crops of many cameras, and I have to say that  that looks rather sharp....would others agree that that is one of the sharpest you've seen?  Is that post sharpened and edited?  I would like to see a side by side with equal post done, and then you tell me for critical work which is acceptable for you.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Plekto

Remove AA filter?
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 03:45:23 am »

But that's the rub.  We're talking about 20+MP top end cameras that do out-resolve all but a very few very expensive lenses.  There's no reason a D3x for instance, needs an AA filter given that it's strictly a pro-level camera and marketed as such.    Canon also is a bit dumb not to offer the option as it would place it squarely with the DBs in terms of resolution and a lack of an AA filter. (and you don't hear DB users complaining about moire - no, they just deal with it in post)

Phil Indeblanc

Remove AA filter?
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 03:50:35 am »

Quote from: Plekto
But that's the rub.  We're talking about 20+MP top end cameras that do out-resolve all but a very few very expensive lenses.  There's no reason a D3x for instance, needs an AA filter given that it's strictly a pro-level camera and marketed as such.    Canon also is a bit dumb not to offer the option as it would place it squarely with the DBs in terms of resolution and a lack of an AA filter. (and you don't hear DB users complaining about moire - no, they just deal with it in post)

Exactly....and for the MF....for most studio apps other than fabric, there is no need for post...I have even done plenty port/full length work with no moire issues with MF (plenty to me is 70 or more changes of clothes).  Surely it is possible to moire, but I think much less than often feared.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 04:15:22 am by Phil Indeblanc »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Remove AA filter?
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 04:33:55 am »

Hi,

Would the cameras outresolve the lenses the AA-filter would neither bee needed or be an issue. This is clearly not the case, however, APS-C cameras have higher resolution (per mm) and still gain from increasing pixel count. Any decent lens gives pretty impressive resolution on axis. It seems that diffraction starts to be a problem with Canon 50D and 7D, as lenses need to be stopped down to less than f/8 for optimal resolution on those cameras.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Plekto
Erik Kaffehr

Phil Indeblanc

Remove AA filter?
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2009, 04:50:08 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

Would the cameras outresolve the lenses the AA-filter would neither bee needed or be an issue. This is clearly not the case, however, APS-C cameras have higher resolution (per mm) and still gain from increasing pixel count. Any decent lens gives pretty impressive resolution on axis. It seems that diffraction starts to be a problem with Canon 50D and 7D, as lenses need to be stopped down to less than f/8 for optimal resolution on those cameras.

Best regards
Erik

Yes defraction does become an issue on many, even MFdb LF lens'. I wonder if there is list of lpi/lens data on different makes?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up