Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with lens choice  (Read 1392 times)

duntov

Need help with lens choice
« on: April 21, 2009, 04:31:44 pm »

I have been shooting 35mm film and digital for years and a little bit of MF with my very old Minolta Semi P folder.  I am now moving into digital MF mainly for landscape but also occasional non-professional portraiture.  I tend to buy the best I can even if it takes years to acquire everything I want.  I currently have an Leaf Aptus 22 (48 x 36 sensor) and have a Silvestri Flexicam with non-sliding back on order.  Because of the amount of money I have already spent, I can only afford at this time one lens   and plan on a sliding back in the future.  

I am not sure what focal length to start with that would be used in 'most' occasions.   I know already that at some future point I would want an extreme wide angle, but what should my first lens be that will get me by for now?  Not sure how the actual sensor size plays into the equation.  Rodenstock lenses would be my first choice.  Any recommendations would be greatly accepted.

Keep in mind that I take 'minimalistic' approach to photography.  I have no interest in electronic shutters, excessive photoshop manipulation, stitching, etc.

John

marcmccalmont

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 04:56:03 pm »

With my AFD II/P30 I grab my 55-110mm more often than not. 35mm next and occasionally 105-210mm
I would start with a lens around 55mm stitch for a wider view when necessary
Marc
Marc McCalmont

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:49:16 am »

Hi,
It really depend on what you want to do.
Flexicam is officially supporting lenses up to 105mm. I used the CFE 120mm Zeiss with success via adapter.
I use 50, 80, 120mm CFE Zeiss (via adapter) and 35 and 100mm Digitar on Copal, the 72mm will follow soon for my Flexicam.

On a DSLR my standard, everyday lens would be a 35 or 50mm.
The day I win the lottery and retire  i would probably just buy a nice ALPA with just a 55mm Rodenstock as a P&S for my documentary work. A bit wide angle, but not too much.

Tom-
Pages: [1]   Go Up