Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexpensive LCD that is reasonably good  (Read 1957 times)

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
Inexpensive LCD that is reasonably good
« on: April 21, 2009, 02:57:54 pm »

I do a bit of photo editing at work, the samsung 2253 monitor I have at work is absolutely useless for photo editing, major color shift from the top to bottom of the screen. The short of it is, they are willing to spend up to about $250 for a replacement for me, and I have to choose something from all the junk out there. Any suggestion on a inexpensive, but reasonably usable monitor, preferably in the 21-22 inch size range. I have the NEC spectraview 2690 at home, so I'm spoiled, any help to save my eyes at work would be greatly appreciated.

AndyF

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 07:04:00 pm »

Difficult to find something in that range.  From my own searching so far, I would actually recommend against a "wide gamut" monitor in the sub-$1,000 range so don't try to grab a cheap one of those.  The few I've seen charts of, or read about, have extreme reds or blues that will misrepresent the actual colours of sRGB images in non-colour managed apps.   The bigger problem with these monitors even in managed apps is they may leave out some of the greens and yellows at the edge of sRGB space.   The Dell 2408 (otherwise probably a nice panel) is one example based on the gamut charts in Xbit Lab's review that misses the edge of sRGB.

The over-$1,000 wide-gamut monitors would probably fully enclose sRGB and be worth considering so my comments don't apply to them (neither does my budget).

Maybe look for a monitor that does a good job of covering sRGB, and does not have a glossy reflective surface (that will bug you 8 hours a day).

Andy

One of the websites with good technical reviews of monitors:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/

MBehrens

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:01:53 pm »

I have the ViewSonic VP2250wb. It's going run about $100 more than your budget. However it has a colorspace similar to an EIZO CG301W. It works pretty well and with calibration is a pretty good match to my prints.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 08:02:36 pm by MBehrens »

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:52:15 am »

Well, I've decided to push the envelope and request a NEC MultiSync LCD2090UXi monitor.
Its about 3x the budget, but maybe they will see the light.
I assume I will be able to calibrate this monitor with the same spectraview hardware and software I have at home for my NEC 2690.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 09:49:27 am »

Quote from: soboyle
Well, I've decided to push the envelope and request a NEC MultiSync LCD2090UXi monitor.
Its about 3x the budget, but maybe they will see the light.
I assume I will be able to calibrate this monitor with the same spectraview hardware and software I have at home for my NEC 2690.

You may also consider NEC P221W - it's 22" wide gamut panoramic panel, and it costs 499$, so it's only 2x the budget. You'll be able to calibrate it with Spectraview II, as well. The panel is not as good as x90 series, but after hardware calibration it's not so bad, either.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:50:09 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:00:16 am »

The NEC P221W  looks interesting, I have been looking at the HP LP2275w, also a PVA matrix.
I like the NEC however, since I will be able to calibrate with my current hardware and software.
Pages: [1]   Go Up