Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to change the "thumbnail" embedded in RAW?  (Read 1706 times)

dreed

Possible to change the "thumbnail" embedded in RAW?
« on: April 21, 2009, 08:56:22 am »

With CR2 files, there is a JPEG picture stashed away so that it is easy for thumbnail viewers, etc, to display the more complex raw file without having to render it.

However, the "thumbnail" in CR2 files seems to stay the same, regardless of editting in DPP, ACR or LR.

Without going to DNG, is anyone aware of any programs that can "fix" the CR2 and update the thumbnail in line with changes made to the raw image?

Or is there some option to do this that I've overlooked?

Thanks,
Darren

Eyeball

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:29:21 am »

Both Bridge and Lightroom have options for viewing high-quality thumbnails and previews.  Using those options will then allow you to see the thumbnails and previews with your raw edits applied.

I use DPP occasionally but I'm not at my home machine right now.  I always had the impression that DPP showed edited thumbnails by default.  Not sure about that though nor whether DPP has an option to change that behavior.  I'll check and post back if someone else hasn't posted by then.

dreed

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 10:35:47 am »

Quote from: Eyeball
Both Bridge and Lightroom have options for viewing high-quality thumbnails and previews.  Using those options will then allow you to see the thumbnails and previews with your raw edits applied.

I believe that Bridge uses .xmp files that contain a "recipe" for rendering the picture.
I'm not sure what LR does, but (for example), making a change in LR does not result in the image displayed by Microsoft's raw thumbnail viewer being updated to match that edit.

I use DPP occasionally but I'm not at my home machine right now.  I always had the impression that DPP showed edited thumbnails by default.  Not sure about that though nor whether DPP has an option to change that behavior.  I'll check and post back if someone else hasn't posted by then.

Originally, I thought this too. Then I used Java Media server,  talking to a PlayStation3 via DLNA to display the pic on a 1080p, big screen TV and was surprised to see the original thumbnail displayed.

Eyeball

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 06:11:46 pm »

If you're talking about other (viewing) applications, then all bets are off.  They are not going to interpret the raw "recipe" made with another application.

Your alternatives are:
- Use the browser of the software where you performed the raw edits (Bridge for Camera Raw, the DPP browser for DPP, etc.).
- Put up with the thumbnails/previews in other applications not showing the edits
- Create non-raw dupes (Jpegs, TIFs, etc.).
Pages: [1]   Go Up