Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 4.7 and the mac  (Read 23842 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2009, 11:55:00 am »

Quote from: bcooter
Now let's be kind.

I look forward to an Iphone app for my P30+.  Yesterday I did a location scouting with a client.  I would have taken the Phase but let's be realistic, the AD can't see much on the Phase back so instead I took a Nikon.

Now if I had the I phone App the scene would have been much different.  I would pull up to the location, set up the laptop, an inverter, a airport express, and a charged Iphone.

Get all three running in sync and then hand the client my iphone and say look at the lcd here as I shoot and you can see the locations in all thier glory.

That would have been much easier than just showing him the images on the Nikon's 3" lcd.

B

You can do that today. In fact you don't even need the airport express since you can generate a wifi network from the laptop itself. For best results turn down your screen res (or use a smaller laptop - same result), and use Apple-T and Apple-B to hide the browser and tools, and if desired even the pill-box in the upper right corner to hide the tools. The image will now be almost entirely full screen on both devices.

Article on VNC.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

bcooter

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2009, 01:05:14 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
You can do that today. In fact you don't even need the airport express since you can generate a wifi network from the laptop itself. For best results turn down your screen res (or use a smaller laptop - same result), and use Apple-T and Apple-B to hide the browser and tools, and if desired even the pill-box in the upper right corner to hide the tools. The image will now be almost entirely full screen on both devices.

Article on VNC.

My point is at this stage it is still crazy that to get a decent preview it takes a computer.  I know, everyone in estonia loves to tether, but I can think of 10,000 times that you've got to pull the cord for all sorts of reasons and just shoot.  If your not changing the lighting, the lcd is fine, but I can look at my work and tell if I was tethered or not, just because when tethering the shot usually looks more staged.

Someday I assume somebody from medium format land is going to actually shoot a dslr side by side one of their cameras and realize how difficult they've made the process, simply because the lcd preview is so rough.

I've done it and a client will look at a Nikon D3 lcd vs. a Phase, point at the NIkon and say "use the big camera".

I've heard that half a dozen times.

Maybe you do know what we're up against now in the world of commerce, but three day shoots are now one 18 our day and even those prices have been pulled down.  Flexibility is much more important than micro detail, at least in my world today.

We've been asking for better previews for 7 years and for 7 years we just get bigger files.  

I like medium format files, for vertical I love the format vs. the 35mm squeeze, but I just loathe bringing that slow running camera, back and computer out on a location shoot stuck to a computer 20 ft. away.

There is a reason today if I wanted to trade either one of my digital backs for a d3x I probably wouldn't have any offers.

The world has gotten a lot tougher in the last year, demands are much greater and while medium format is still stuggling with a decent lcd preview, the world of cameras are now offering video.

Now if you think the world hasn't changed look at this;

http://m.gizmodo.com/site?sid=gizmodoip&am...Gizmodo-5229743

It's just a matter of time that this will become more the norm, than the exception.

All clients want more ROI.

B

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2009, 03:39:04 pm »

Phase and Co should just pull apart a solder a Sony or Nikon compact and solder the display into their backs ...

Edmund

Quote from: bcooter
My point is at this stage it is still crazy that to get a decent preview it takes a computer.  I know, everyone in estonia loves to tether, but I can think of 10,000 times that you've got to pull the cord for all sorts of reasons and just shoot.  If your not changing the lighting, the lcd is fine, but I can look at my work and tell if I was tethered or not, just because when tethering the shot usually looks more staged.

Someday I assume somebody from medium format land is going to actually shoot a dslr side by side one of their cameras and realize how difficult they've made the process, simply because the lcd preview is so rough.

I've done it and a client will look at a Nikon D3 lcd vs. a Phase, point at the NIkon and say "use the big camera".

I've heard that half a dozen times.

Maybe you do know what we're up against now in the world of commerce, but three day shoots are now one 18 our day and even those prices have been pulled down.  Flexibility is much more important than micro detail, at least in my world today.

We've been asking for better previews for 7 years and for 7 years we just get bigger files.  

I like medium format files, for vertical I love the format vs. the 35mm squeeze, but I just loathe bringing that slow running camera, back and computer out on a location shoot stuck to a computer 20 ft. away.

There is a reason today if I wanted to trade either one of my digital backs for a d3x I probably wouldn't have any offers.

The world has gotten a lot tougher in the last year, demands are much greater and while medium format is still stuggling with a decent lcd preview, the world of cameras are now offering video.

Now if you think the world hasn't changed look at this;

http://m.gizmodo.com/site?sid=gizmodoip&am...Gizmodo-5229743

It's just a matter of time that this will become more the norm, than the exception.

All clients want more ROI.

B
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

billy

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2009, 02:36:41 am »

This for me is classic phase one and why just reading this gives me a headache. I too have been problems with V4 crashing etc, using Canon1dsmk3 and P21 back. So after reading this I thought "ok, I will follow this uninstall and reinstall because I did  not uninstall the first time around." so i followed these instructions and got to the 'deactivate license' ....... I was supposed to select computer 1 or computer 2 or whatever....to get this information I would have to probably contact phase one, fill out a ticket etc....... instant headache. they make EVERYTHING so difficult, it wears me out. I turned the computer off and walked away, leaving the crashes etc as is..... couldnt deal with the deactivate license to uninstall........I cant wait for a company to end phase's dominance.

Snook, are you serious? You have not done the uninstall/reinstall that I suggested? It takes 2 minutes!

I have helped you personally several times with C1 issues; why would doubt the veracity of my advice? ("I do not see how an uninstall... [will] help").

I cannot guarantee this will solve your problems but it is very likely. Please follow our instructions for uninstalling and reinstall.

As stated before: sometimes the process of installing C1 without first removing the app-support and preference files of the previous versions can cause issues. Again, uninstall the previous version and install the new version and chances are very very good everything will run smoothly.

Absolutely true. In this regard C1 sucks for not having a proper uninstaller. However, it takes 2 minutes to read and follow the uninstall article I have been posting since the start of this thread.

Doug

Doug Peterson

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2009, 10:42:35 am »

Quote from: billy
I too have been problems with V4 crashing etc, using Canon1dsmk3 and P21 back. So after reading this I thought "ok, I will follow this uninstall and reinstall because I did  not uninstall the first time around." so i followed these instructions and got to the 'deactivate license'

Sorry to hear your frustration, but it was unfounded.

You can log on phaseone.com and "sign in" > "my account" > "license management" and view/modify/reset your activations at any time without any calls/tickets or any BS.

More importantly, I've added a note to our uninstall/reinstall article that if you are REinstalling rather than uninstalling (i.e. you plan on using it on the same computer again immediately) then you don't need to deactivate. Back in the days of Capture One 3 you would have needed to call your dealer or started a support ticket. This was something people complained a lot about so Phase made a significant investment in a corporates-scale activation server with an online back-end so that you could sign in 24/7 and view/reset your activations. I should have had this in the article to start with, so my apologies.

eronald

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2009, 11:15:35 am »

The deactivation really works. I used it. It's nicely implemented.

I do wonder whether Phase shouldn't make a simple pass-through tethering app so that that part of their system can be tested and maintained independently of the Raw converter ... Or maybe they could allow users to employ the Canon and Nikon tethering software transparently with their converter by watching a folder?

Edmund

You can log on phaseone.com and "sign in" > "my account" > "license management" and view/modify/reset your activations at any time without any calls/tickets or any BS.

More importantly, I've added a note to our uninstall/reinstall article that if you are REinstalling rather than uninstalling (i.e. you plan on using it on the same computer again immediately) then you don't need to deactivate. Back in the days of Capture One 3 you would have needed to call your dealer or started a support ticket. This was something people complained a lot about so Phase made a significant investment in a corporates-scale activation server with an online back-end so that you could sign in 24/7 and view/reset your activations. I should have had this in the article to start with, so my apologies.

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Doug Peterson

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2009, 11:26:31 am »

Quote from: eronald
I do wonder whether Phase shouldn't make a simple pass-through tethering app so that that part of their system can be tested and maintained independently of the Raw converter ... Or maybe they could allow users to employ the Canon and Nikon tethering software transparently with their converter by watching a folder?

Both of these things are done today. The raw processing code is maintained on one thread while the tethering connection code is maintained on another. This is one of the major changes in 4.x (all code is isolated into chunks). Also, you can use "Camera > Hot Folder Enabled" to watch the currently viewed folder for new images. New images are either displayed when the preview/thumbnail is ready, immediately, or never depending on "Camera > Auto Select New Capture" There are a lot of advantages to having native tethering however including remote-triggering, faster capture-to-preview times and control over file naming and white balance along with having one less program open.

billy

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2009, 11:30:42 am »

killer, thanks doug, i did it and it was easy. this info should be plastered all over the phase site as opposed to buried on a forum.

eronald

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2009, 03:55:08 pm »

Quote from: billy
killer, thanks doug, i did it and it was easy. this info should be plastered all over the phase site as opposed to buried on a forum.

You can drop the subject now, 4.8 has been released  

Edmund

Snook

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2009, 10:48:28 am »

Any comments on 4.8 so far, cannot really find anyting..
Thanks , would like to hear some comments before installing..
Snook

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2009, 11:21:00 am »

Snook we found a small bug on the noise sliders. Read the back end of this thread http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7158
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Doug Peterson

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2009, 02:44:54 pm »

Quote from: Snook
Any comments on 4.8 so far, cannot really find anyting..
Thanks , would like to hear some comments before installing..
Snook

Not seeing any reports of major glitches or problems. If you're not having any problems with 4.7 then I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade (unless you want non-english support or use a P40+). However, if you're running something earlier than 4.7 or you want the slight speed improvement of 4.8 compared to 4.7 then I'd say you're safe to proceed.

As Guy pointed out the noise sliders are messed up, but only if you set defaults other than the factory defaults. For those users this is a major glitch, but since I'd guesstimate the vast majority of users don't change the defaults I don't call this a major glitch in terms of recommending update.

As always I don't recommend updating/changing a machine in a production environment unless you have time to make a bootable backup (e.g. SuperDuper) and thoroughly test after the update/change. Uninstalling any previous version of C1 prior to installing 4.8 never hurts.

Snook

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2009, 09:28:25 am »

4.8.1 released yesterday...:+}
Snook

Doug Peterson

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2009, 10:00:04 am »

Quote from: Snook
4.8.1 released yesterday...:+}
Snook

Edit: New thread started (this one specifically says 4.7 so I started a thread for 4.8.1):

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=34925

Doug

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:37:45 am by dougpetersonci »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up