Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 4.7 and the mac  (Read 23827 times)

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 08:47:33 am »

This is the one I have seen from Appleinsider

Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Apple near ready with release of Mac OS X 10.5.7 Juno

By Sam Oliver
Published: 11:00 AM EST

Related AppleInsider articles:
Over 100 fixes in 10.5.7; Security Update...
Improved speech dictionary to ship with Mac OS...
Over 80 bug fixes due in Mac OS X 10.5.7 "Juno"
Apple ready with second beta of Mac OS X...
Apple to further polish Leopard with 10.5.7...
Apple as early as this week could announce the release of Mac OS X 10.5.7, a seventh maintenance and security update to its Leopard operating system scheduled to deliver over a 100 minor tweaks and bug fixes.

After providing developers with weekly betas of the software for nearly two months, the Mac maker in recent days cranked up the frequency of the pre-release distributions, which is more often than not a telltale sign of an imminent release.

In particular, developers on Friday received Mac OS X 10.5.7 build 9J47, which arrived just four days after build 9J44. Late Tuesday evening developers were informed that build 9J50 was available for download, again coming just four days after the previous distribution.

People familiar with the beta test say the former build added three code-corrections to a laundry list of bug fixes, including a fix for Ethernet performance on Mac Pro systems and a correction to Mac OS X's handling of login item preferences. Meanwhile, the latter build arriving less than 24 hours ago reportedly addresses a single issue involving Bluetooth personal area networks.

Now in its seventh week of widespread testing, Mac OS X 10.5.7 includes 108 documented code corrections and is expected to arrive as an approximately 443 megabyte delta update for Mac users running Mac OS X 10.5.7. A separate distribution capable of updating earlier versions of the Leopard OS reportedly weighs in around 730 megabytes.

Further evidencing an imminent release are claims from some Apple Store customers who say Apple recently bumped up their orders for iMacs equipped with ATI's Radeon HD 4850 graphics card for shipment this week. At least one of these customers was led to believe his order was previously being held up due to the graphics card's requirement of 10.5.7, though that much is up for debate. Alternatively, Apple could include the necessary software drivers in a custom milestone of 10.5.6.

Nevertheless, it was revealed early in the beta test process that Mac OS X 10.5.7 would deliver a broad range of syncing improvements. It was later reported that the release, internally code-named Juno, would also include an updated speech dictionary.

In total, the update is expected to address issues with over 20 core system components including AirPort, graphics, iCal, iDisk Syncing, Mail, MobileMe syncing, networking, parental controls, printing, Safari, screen sharing, sound, and Time Machine. It should also improve compatibility with certain USB and Flash drives.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:49:37 am by Guy Mancuso »
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Guy Mancuso

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 08:51:17 am »

I'm actually having a lot of issues with Airport myself. Plus I have a lot of permission issues unresolved with bad codes that I can't fix.

Actually today i have to shoot something in the studio so this will be the first time with my new 15 inch MBP. I will report any issue but I am also shooting a Phase back so I really never had any issues anyway. I think the biggest issue is USB which frankly sucks and it always has on a PC or a Mac. Never had any good luck in the past with Camera's and USB.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:55:33 am by Guy Mancuso »

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 10:36:17 am »

Quote from: Snook
I only here all the Canon guys complaining here. I am shooting P30 tethered all the time and no problems here.
I would say your lucky that C-1 even deals with Canon files, Not to mention theirs converts better in my my mind.

Snook

Before I went to digital backs I swore I would never tether.  We had a great system with handing off cards and nobody complained, everything went fast and smooth and the clients got the see the images in more detail than any polaroid.  It was also very simple to run two computers and download the cards twice, that way the clients could edit in photomechanic (which takes about 2 minutes to learn) and our files were protected in our system.

It's interesting because the only reason I went to Phase backs was for the stability of the software and at the time I had fallen into the same thing as everyone else and was tethering everything.    

3.7 is/was rock solid and though the previews are challanged and anything over 200 images to a single folder become somewhat of a risk in terms of crashing, if it did crash it started up instantly and you rarely lost anything.   The previews were brittle but running a focus check was easy and renaming, going  back to previous sessions was a snap.  Same with tagging images.  I had clients/ad's that knew how to work version 3 for editing.

I wouldn't tether a job with a new software if you pointed a gun at me.  I've been there, done that, and it ain't pretty if everything doesn't work.

The only reason I have 10.5 at all  is my last two apple computers came with it.  10.4 whatever was stable, 10.5 whatever is buggy, more so depending on machine.

Phase is not without blame on this though as they built their new software to run on 10.5, so it should work without fault, though as we know no new software works without fault.

As far as buying a PC, I have no desire to buy anything that I don't need but after my first day of dealing with Apple's usb drivers, I got rid of that thought of hitting a buffer every 10 frames and waiting.  I don't think usb2 is that bad of a way to connect and actually seems more secure than firewire, it's just slow on a mac.  It also doesn't hurt to have a pc box around.  There are things they can do that apple can't and it let's you check what you send out to the world to see if it actually works, plays or views.

Once again phase is behind on their pc updates as well, as the first versions of 4point whatever did not tether anything on vista even Phase's own cameras, which makes you shake your head and wonder why, since Phase has a deal in the works with microsoft.

Still, it doesn't matter to me if Canon's tether to Phase one software  or not, but if they say they do, then it should work with stability.

Actually, what all these people that write software need to do is come on a busy set and work with clients and photographers in different genres.  Tethering, at least in my experience, is only needed for certain ad jobs where the layout needs to be exact, or on catalog type gigs where the AD wants to tag images as they go to cut down on the editing time.  Any other time tethering just slows things up, makes the project flat footed and is only needed with backs that have challanged lcd's.    

The newest Canons and Nikons have a detailed enough lcd to view whatever the photographer, crew and talent needs to see.  Once the shot is really ready for world view, it's no issue handing off a card and letting the clients see it in all 30" glory.

JRR

Edit:  One thing to add is in today's climate, I guess the best way to put it is when it comes to digital, the thrill is gone.  Waiting for the newest, whiz bang software, or piece of equipment seems to have lost some of it's luster.   Maybe it's the economy, maybe it's just people are overworked or stressed, but I find everybody just wants it to go smooth, happy and easy and get on with the job at hand.

Everybody wants to produce great work, but most clients are now aware that with digital it all works about the same, as long as it just works, but there is no margin for error anymore.   In the early days clients accepted that tethering might have dropouts or crashes, but today, they don't expect it, or have time for it.

I've shot about every digital camera made and could write a transition story from my first kodak 760's to today's cameras and quite honestly from the first magic 1ds to todays newest, there is not that great of a leap.  

I have also found that the most important element of digital camera is not in micro detail, or frame format but time.  Cutting down on set and post production time is the most important consideration, because at the end of the day all of these files can be made to look good.

I have to admit I don't understand how most of these cameras and software is thought out because in some ways they are all lacking in must have features.  Why medium format backs have those guess at the world lcd's still amazes me and why Nikons and Canons don't have full featured tethering software suites is also something I'm surprised about, after all, Canon and Nikon do have the resources.

The one thing I've learned is just to use whatever works and I've yet to find one camera, software or digital back that will do everything.  The Canons come close to covering the most territory though they really aren't digital backs, they really aren't fast low light location cameras, they are somewhere in between.  The D3 nikons are amazing at focus and low light, but for studio they jsut don't have enough oomph and medium format as wonderful as the files can be for heavy compositing work, deep detailed post production can also be a chore when it comes to batching out thousands of jpegs for early view, or trying to work them in anything but lots of light situations.

Digital backs should be bundled with a set of profotos and Canons should come with a Dell or Sony laptop.

If any maker of any big ticket item wants to know why sales are slow, it's not just the state of the economy, it's the fact that nobody has offered anything in the last year or so that you just can't do without.

There is also the overwhelming mind set of us users that we know that whatever we buy today will just be an incremental upgrade, not a complete new design.  I am positive that the next whatever will have a better lcd, maybe better software, maybe video that has manual settings, but I also know that instead of coming out in one step, it will probably take two or three versions before I get anything with substantial change.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:28:53 am by James R Russell »

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 11:32:48 am »

Instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water and switching over to a PC system why not just boot your Mac into Windows? I set up my Macbook with a Windows partition when I originally purchased it a few years ago and it took me all of an hour. Instead of spending $1k+ on new machine just buy XP for $100. The DPP disk has the Windows version on it. Problem solved right?
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

James R Russell

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 12:43:05 pm »

Quote from: bcroslin
Instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water and switching over to a PC system why not just boot your Mac into Windows? I set up my Macbook with a Windows partition when I originally purchased it a few years ago and it took me all of an hour. Instead of spending $1k+ on new machine just buy XP for $100. The DPP disk has the Windows version on it. Problem solved right?

I've found that loading a capture computer with anything other than what you want to capure with is asking for trouble and a lot of workarounds.  There is no workaround on a pc box, you just load canon utilties and start shooting and pc boxes offer a lot more bang for the buck, even the mega priced Leveno which is the only computer I've seen that is specfically made for photographers.

Think pads ain't cute, but they're rockets.

The only people that seem to have problems with PC boxes are still photographers, graphic artists and the 12 year olds that hang out at the mac store buying ipods by the case.

The film world has been using pc's forever and they don't care what the logo is, they care that something works.

I feel the same way.

Now maybe loading vmware or bootcamp or something might turn my apple into a pc, I don't know because I don't have time to find out if it's going to bust a gut or not.

JRR

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 12:45:27 pm »

Quote from: James R Russell
Now maybe loading vmware or bootcamp or something might turn my apple into a pc, I don't know because I don't have time to find out if it's going to bust a gut or not.

JRR

You literally install XP on your Mac the exact same way you would on a PC box. Newer Macs boot into Windows seamlessly.

EDIT: Here a link to the PDF that describes how to do the install: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 01:07:37 pm by bcroslin »
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

Frank Doorhof

• http://
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 02:28:43 pm »

@James,
I love PC's but I switched to macs for a very simple reason.....
Powered firewire on laptops.
I tried several PC notebooks and could not find one that did what I wanted and had powered firewire.

I decided to try out macosX and liked it so much our studio is now 100% mac.
Especially when working with larger files the mac just simply is faster, and final cut pro is also a reason to switch (I do the editing of our instructional DVDs myself)

I will not say PCs sucks or Macs are better.
but in the end I decided to stay with the Mac, on a side note except for the powered firewire I never had a problem with my PC boxes or notebooks.
Everything worked flawlessly and fast, however my wife owns a PC store so she knows exactly which combinations to use

Snook

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 06:10:15 pm »

"I will not say PCs sucks or Macs are better."

OK then I will say it fo you then. PC suck. They always have and always will.
Unfortunately Mac OSX is getting closer to being PC every day.
I have had Macs for over 11 years and NEVER had a virus and or any major problems. Just a couple of things with macmail in the last couple upgrades.

Frank brings up an interesting point. How do you shoot tethered from a Phase Back to PC?

Again I think these problem case are rare and I do not think Tethering was ever meant for 11 fps cameras...:+}

Plus with a 3" LCD who the hell need to shoot tethered?

Snook

Guy Mancuso

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 06:42:06 pm »

Just to update the new 15 in Unibody is working fine with the 800 to 400 Firewire cable and the Phase P25+. Also with the 2 SSD drives running Raid 0 it really is blazing fast on the read coming in from shutter press to preview about 1.75 seconds, that's almost as fast as the back will shoot. Maybe a bug in one area though and that is in C1 itself hitting the Capture button failed twice on me. But shooting from camera was fine. This could be also a Apple issue and just have to wait for 10.5.7. When I am shooting with clients I tether for a couple shots to get all the lighting and exposure down . Than pull the freaking plug on them and go to work.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 06:43:22 pm »

Tethered or not? For us & especially on this last shoot we had to be tethered. It was a pressure shoot & in the end we got great shots now to over a weeks post or stage two. If Phase sells a product to work with Canon it should work but I feel this time it is more of a Mac thing. We had considered of shooting into DPP  but the free rotation in PO was very helpful on this job plus the overlay for comping. Looking at the 3' LCD wasn't going to cut it. DPP works great on my old machine & I do like USB over FW. I do hope that 10.5.7 solves the problem. My partner who has never used the PO SW before is now editing with it & loves it. Saves the time of exporting to PS for editing. She has used LR & doesn't like it. I like tethered it allows me to change lighting & exposure on the fly.
Cheers Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 07:10:43 pm »

not sure i made myself clear when i started this....what upsets me about this is that phase knowingly comes out with a big bang advertising a feature they know does not work....even if it is not their fault.....i am glad i did not go out and buy C1 only to find out that tethering in C1 4.7  works just as well as the canon and nikon software does.....that is my complaint....

as for tethering: i don't necessarily like it, but sometimes it has to be and then i want it to work...not sure why this is too much to ask....

i have found a way to run XP in VM ware on the mbp and using canon capture i can shoot into a shared folder/hotfolder in the mac side of things....you would not even know that XP is running....this solution is so easy that it really ticks me off that i have to deal with all this crap in the first place....and i have posted on the mac forums about that and vented to mac about it...but we all know what a difference that makes....none....

in a perfect world, i would have a wifi grip on the camera and would be shooting "tethered" to the mbp....nobody has to know, double backup, and if i want to, i can check everything....of course the filesizes right now would at least require wifi "n", but the canon solution does not have that and i wonder why...but then again, i can't even get tethering to work easily with a cable! (and without running 2systems...)

apple has been making too much money with the ipod and the iphone so they are obviously busy with that....as the latest glossy screens show, their once core market has completely shifted and good for them, there are more photographers then ever but still not enough to keep apple alive.....but still, the canon/nikon driver issue is over one year old and still not resolved.....i really hope 10.5.7 will finally fix it....i am just worried that these issues (and long overdue updates to the pro apps including aperture!) won't really be taken care of until 10.6...and who wants to switch to that at version .0? especially since they can't get 10.5.6 right?

Josh l.

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 02:21:24 am »

I just did a tethered shoot the other day in the studio and shot some 487 images with no issues at all, but I suppose I had an unfair advantage shoot a P1 back to C1.

Hopefully the new apple update fixes the issues, best of luck.

ziocan

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 06:25:08 am »

Frank brings up an interesting point. How do you shoot tethered from a Phase Back to PC?

Snook
I guess you just need a 50$ express card with 2 firewire ports.
Trough the express port, the firewire should be powered.

Frank Doorhof

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 11:58:39 am »

@Ziocan,
I tried but the two cards we tried did not give out enough juice to power up the leaf back.
One almost did but needed an extra power supply to make it work.

The first time I put it on a MBP it booted and I could shoot straight from the battery so I switched to a macbook pro.
The initial plan was to only run windows on it but because I was beta testing the leaf PC software at the moment I decided it would be wise to use both so I could give input by working with both.
From one thing came another and before I knew it I ran more under OSX than under XP.

So after 3-4 weeks I made the switch 100%.

James R Russell

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 12:30:19 pm »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
@Ziocan,
I tried but the two cards we tried did not give out enough juice to power up the leaf back.
One almost did but needed an extra power supply to make it work.

The Phase plus backs will run off the back's battery so firewire power isn't that important.

The Canon's run off their own battery so  . . . well you get the idea.  

Why tether a Canon?  Because all of these cameras have a different look and do a different thing and whether mfdb purists like it or not the S in the Canon 1d line stands for studio.   (is there any such thing as a format purist in the digital age?)

As far as computers go, I've owned about a zillion macs now have 12 in use in our studios and only two pc's, though I don't find the PC's with vista that big of a leap.

It seems PC's have become more mac like, though still overly complicated, Mac's have become more PC like because 10.5 is somewhat overly complicated.

Both systems have their strengths and weaknesses , though it is obvious that Apple has moved to the world of consumers, so our options with Apple seem to become more limited as time goes by.

To me it doesn't matter as long as it works.

JRR

Frank Doorhof

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 02:45:55 pm »

To me it doesn't matter as long as it works.

AMEN to that

By the way I'm using a leaf back, the only thing I don't like is the fact there is no OPTION to shoot tethered with an accupack connected.
On the other hand I shoot tethered whenever possible even with the Canons.

But it would be great to shoot tethered with an accupack especially with the new MBP17" that is supposed to run for 8 hours on a battery.
I can confirm it runs well over 4 hours at the moment (and it still said it had 2 hours left) but that's with a brandnew accu, with my previous MBP the first four or five loadcycles were not very good, after that it peaked at app 4 hours on a load, so I expect the new MBP17" to top out at anything between 5-7 hours.

However with a back connected it supposed to shut down the back after it hit 70% on the accu.
I will test this tomorrow to see how long I can shoot on a single charge with the leaf connected.
I have a external battery on order that should last me a whole day with the leaf connected but it would be nice if the MBP itself could run for 2 hours with the back.

As James said, whatever works.
Windows 7 is looking very promising but I still don't like the fact I have to run virusscanners etc. in the back.
As long as the mac is not crippled by that I'm a happy mac user, but whenever needed I can switch back again, as said whatever does the job best.
At the moment I love the MBP17" for location work and light editing the PC alternative is much heavier and runs only 2 hours from a battery load.

Snook

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 03:44:38 pm »

Like James stated a while back, He went with the PC for shooting tethered with his Canons.
That would and should be the only reason anybody would go from Mac to PC.
It's kind of like going from digital back to Film if you ask me... Not really a good idea.
Unfortunately Mac is going more towards PC and Vice Versa.
Worst Idea apple has ever had, along with getting rid of Firewire...

Hey James on a side note do you get a lot of people thinking you are Russell James who shoots Victoria Secret campaigns.??
:+}

Snook

James R Russell

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 06:43:44 pm »

Hey James on a side note do you get a lot of people thinking  . . .

Snook

Naw, other than a few times it rental studios.  

I do get confused with the inventor of the CD ROM though.

JRR
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:17:09 pm by James R Russell »

Graham Mitchell

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2009, 09:41:16 pm »

Plus with a 3" LCD who the hell need to shoot tethered?

I love shooting tethered, and no LCD will ever compete with a large screen in terms of detailed (and calibrated) preview/feedback.

Snook

C1 4.7 and the mac
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 05:04:48 pm »

OK.. Changed my opinion.
4.7 pretty much sux the big one. Never have I had so many beach balls spinning for every adjustment and constant crashes.
Running OSX 10.5.6 17" MBP with 4 gigs of ram and the whole system seems to slow down..
Is phase going backwards with the updates!!!

CAN someone please tell what the F^^^^HY&**&&k  is the deal with the iages tethered come into the folderas IIQ files and not .TIF extension like before.

Photoshop does not recognized the FY*(*(^*( IIQ files.
I have never even seen a IIQ file until today!!!
How the Hell do you shoot tethered and have the pcitures come in as .TIF insteadof the crap IIQ file????
Figured it out in preferences... anyway to batch the files to .TIF extension after the fact???

Well first day with shooting tethered 4.7 and a nightmare. Thank go it was just a test of a friends daughter!!!

Thanks for heads up.. now I have to change all the freaking file to tif because no one canopenthe files in photoshop...
JEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ
Going back to 4.6.3 right away.

Anybody know if I need to just trash 4.7 and re-install 4.6.3 or is there something else to do?
Thanks in advance.
Total crap 4.7

Snook
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:13:57 pm by Snook »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up