Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus C8080  (Read 2044 times)

Viruss

Olympus C8080
« on: March 18, 2004, 03:03:53 pm »

First of all I would like to say Hello to all users of this forum, as I'm new here and this is my first post.

In fact, I came here in reaction to the article about Olympus C8080 that appeared on Luminous Landscape.

The author has many complaints on C8080 design and function, some that I agree with, some that I disagree.

I think that C8080 was designed as something between compact camera and SLR-like camera. It inherits the traditional Olympus controls system - it may be confusing and not very intuitive for some people, but I came very familliar with this system after few first minutes of using Olympus C5050. What I seriously miss is the manual focus/zoom ring, even if it was only the way to control the zoom motor, not the real manual zoom/focus ring.

What I was really looking for was the image quality. I hoped that sacrificing some of the tele-photo ability will help to deal with purple fringing and in that way, I have the impression that C8080 does really well.

But what I can't understand and I can't believe that is true is the absence of real-time histogram and overexposure warning. Even preview at Dpreview.com showed that there is live histogram and there's even a special type of "histogram" that shows overexposed or underexposed areas by red/blue boxes. These features really aren't present in production model?

I'm looking forward to all reactions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up