Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walls of Jerusalem - Tasmania  (Read 3359 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Walls of Jerusalem - Tasmania
« on: June 03, 2004, 10:46:01 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi there,

I am just back from a short 10 days trip to Tasmania (Aus).

The overall island is amazing, but I liked best the Walls of Jerusalem National park.

The weather can be pretty harsh though, so come well prepared in terms of gear and skills.

Best regards,
Bernard[/font]

Julian Love

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 03:30:30 pm »

Well, I did a search and this is the only thread I could find on Tasmania! I am spending 5 weeks there in January / February 2007, 1 week on assignment and then 4 weeks shooting for my stock agency. For my 4 weeks I was planning to cover:

1. Hobart, Richmond and wine country, Styx Valley, maybe Bruney Island
2. Tasman peninsula and Freycinet peninsula
3. Cradle Mountain / Overland Track
4. Launceston, Bay of Fires, then back to Hobart

Bernard, any tips? I'm looking for general stock travel shots - so a good mixture of wilderness and landscape but also pretty colonial towns, wine country, outdoor sports and activities, any local colour etc.

Thanks

Julian

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 12:41:59 am »

Well, I did a search and this is the only thread I could find on Tasmania! I am spending 5 weeks there in January / February 2007, 1 week on assignment and then 4 weeks shooting for my stock agency. For my 4 weeks I was planning to cover:

1. Hobart, Richmond and wine country, Styx Valley, maybe Bruney Island
2. Tasman peninsula and Freycinet peninsula
3. Cradle Mountain / Overland Track
4. Launceston, Bay of Fires, then back to Hobart

Bernard, any tips? I'm looking for general stock travel shots - so a good mixture of wilderness and landscape but also pretty colonial towns, wine country, outdoor sports and activities, any local colour etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84020\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Julian,

Besides the harshness of the weather back then in May, nothing did surprise me too much as far as I recall.

Some of the places, including the Overland track (of which I only walked the Southern most day) are said to have snow storms even in summer (Jan - Feb). I would plan enough time on each key spot to be able to cope with potentially poor weather if it is not what you are after for your stock work.

Water was a problem on Freycinet, meaning that you might have to take enough to be able to walk the peninsula without being able to get any water. This could impact your packing significantly. The peninsula tour is supposed to take 3 days but we walked it in 2 days back then. The second day with a 25 kg pack was surprisingly tough though.

We found it challenging to see much wildlife besides walabies. Tasmanian devils weren't to be seen.

I found the Walls of Jerusalem to be most impressive during the trip, although it snowed most of the time we were there, you might want to include 2 or 3 days there.

Finally, rent a 4x4 at any price, some of the "highways" are still dirt roads.

Don't drink too much white wine!

Cheers,
Bernard

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 03:21:49 am »

I would suggest you look into areas such as :

-   Mt.Fields National Park
-   Russell Falls
-   Lake St.Clair
-   Strahan
-   the Heritage Railroad (between Strahan and Queenstown)
-   the Gordon River (a world heritage site)

Googling on Tasmania, parks, trails, tourism, etc will reveal a host of web-based information. I'm off there in February and organised the entire trip online.
Regards, HILTON

Julian Love

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 12:17:26 pm »

Thanks, useful information. I have been getting lots of info online, but it's always good to hear some real practical advice from people who have actually been there!

I'll post a link to some images when I am back at the end of Feb

Julian
Pages: [1]   Go Up