Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100, bad printing after firmware update  (Read 3240 times)

aNTarTis

z3100, bad printing after firmware update
« on: April 17, 2009, 03:37:40 pm »

Hello!

I own a z3100 44". Before the update all was excelent. but check this out, I attached a image with the original from photoshop and the scan after printing, watch the shadows under the words :S  ... what happens? how can I fix it? can I go back to the old firmware? is the same printing from any other software.

[attachment=13062:printwrong.jpg]

thanks for you help!

aNTarTis

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 08:16:13 pm »

UPDATE: I was using Heavyweight Coated Paper, and was all fine, since the update started to be bad. Now I download this one: HP Universal Heavyweight Coated Paper, and now is 90% better, still no exaclty like was before but a lot better than now. So I see the problem is the profile. ...

any ideas?

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:01:37 am »

Quote from: aNTarTis
UPDATE: I was using Heavyweight Coated Paper, and was all fine, since the update started to be bad. Now I download this one: HP Universal Heavyweight Coated Paper, and now is 90% better, still no exaclty like was before but a lot better than now. So I see the problem is the profile. ...

any ideas?

Have you recalibrated and reprofiled this paper (and any other papers you are printing on) since you updated the firmware?

aNTarTis

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 03:35:18 am »

Quote from: Roscolo
Have you recalibrated and reprofiled this paper (and any other papers you are printing on) since you updated the firmware?

how can I reprofile it?  thanks for the answer

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 04:12:25 am »

I see no reason you should need to reprofile after a firmware upgrade.  The profile describes the printing characteristics of the substrate.  Recalibrating, however, is highly recommended, and it brings the printer to a known state and linearizes it's performance.  Do that through the Printer Utility Paper Management menu (slightly different nomenclature on a PC, I'm on a Mac).  After a firmware upgrade, all of the papers on your paper list should have a yellow warning symbol and say they require calibration if you select them and see the details below each in the paper list on your computer.  That said, however, I think your real problem is printhead alignment.  That is most easily initiated from the printer control panel under the image quality maintenance menu.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:03:20 am »

Quote from: Colorwave
I see no reason you should need to reprofile after a firmware upgrade.  The profile describes the printing characteristics of the substrate.  Recalibrating, however, is highly recommended, and it brings the printer to a known state and linearizes it's performance.  Do that through the Printer Utility Paper Management menu (slightly different nomenclature on a PC, I'm on a Mac).  After a firmware upgrade, all of the papers on your paper list should have a yellow warning symbol and say they require calibration if you select them and see the details below each in the paper list on your computer.  That said, however, I think your real problem is printhead alignment.  That is most easily initiated from the printer control panel under the image quality maintenance menu.

While I agree on most of of your comment there is one thing my opinion differs on. The first firmware change for the Z3100 actually did change the media presets, the way ink was mixed and possibly the ink limitations were set. That gives gamut changes. The calibration is in the HP Z models for the main part a linearisation, straigthen the curve betwen 0-100%, could be that it also sets the Dmax + Chroma absolutes at the 100% patches. That calibration doesn't make an old profile valid for a new gamut shape when the ink mixing has changed. If I recall it correctly new media presets and profiles were made available with that first firmware upgrade. The later firmware updates didn't change the meda presets and for that your comment is correct.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 01:42:01 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
While I agree on most of of your comment there is one thing my opinion differs on. The first firmware change for the Z3100 actually did change the media presets, the way ink was mixed and possibly the ink limitations were set. That gives gamut changes. The calibration is in the HP Z models for the main part a linearisation, straigthen the curve betwen 0-100%, could be that it also sets the Dmax + Chroma absolutes at the 100% patches. That calibration doesn't make an old profile valid for a new gamut shape when the ink mixing has changed. If I recall it correctly new media presets and profiles were made available with that first firmware upgrade. The later firmware updates didn't change the meda presets and for that your comment is correct.

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
Ageeed, Ernst, if we are talking changes in media presets or ink mapping.  Don't you think this looks more like a simple printhead alignment problem than a color issue, though?
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Roscolo

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 01:45:13 pm »

Quote from: aNTarTis
how can I reprofile it?  thanks for the answer

Follow the instructions in the manual or in the HP Software. I haven't updated my firmware in some time, but when I do I recalibrate and reprofile every paper when I load it. It doesn't take much time or ink, and one bad print uses even more ink and wastes more time, so I think it's just a good practice to recalibrate / reprofile each paper after a firmware update just to be safe. Others may disagree. For the very little time and resources to recalibrate / reprofile a paper, it's a no-brainer for me to do it.

Hope this solves your problem.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 02:37:14 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
Ageeed, Ernst, if we are talking changes in media presets or ink mapping.  Don't you think this looks more like a simple printhead alignment problem than a color issue, though?

Could be the cause but on the other hand there's no information given about the firmware version he started from.

New: Dinkla Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

aNTarTis

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 05:36:30 pm »

after days of fight I printed a photo, and all was excelent, so I installed a new profile, "universal" Heavyweight Coated Paper instead of the "HP" one, and works fine...no like before, but a lot better than the HP, is kinda the profiles are no compatible 100% with the new firmware :s
Pages: [1]   Go Up