Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One P30+or Leaf 54S  (Read 3158 times)

Ernst

Phase One P30+or Leaf 54S
« on: April 17, 2009, 02:13:51 pm »

I have been offered a P30+ and a Leaf 54S, both mint and reasonably priced. Which one would you recommend. I do mainly landscape.
Thanks
Ernst

Justin Berman

• http://www.justinberman.com
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 02:31:14 pm »

Quote from: Ernst
I have been offered a P30+ and a Leaf 54S, both mint and reasonably priced. Which one would you recommend. I do mainly landscape.
Thanks
Ernst

Both of those are aimed more at studio photographers, but since you can get the plus version of the phase, I would suggest it. The long exposure times that a phase + back can offer are a real advantage. If you use a large format camera, the leaf would remain the better choice though.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 02:43:48 pm »

Thanks
Ernst

which camera are you using it with? with the mamiya and contax, the cropped chip with the p30+ can be anoying. but the h1/2 has such a big finder, that it not such a big deal.

ive had a p25, but now i have a aptus 22.

at the moment i prefer leafs software lc11, its quick, stable and easy. capture ones 3.6 is great, but 4.7.x has still got a bit to go, but it is improving in leaps and bounds. leaf a22 is quite a bit faster than the p30+, and i prefer the the srceen, but both screens are pretty bad.

but for landscape, i didnt think neither would be suited to landscape. i would have though a a75, or a p45 would be better. more megapixels would be far more usefull.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Ernst

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:46:09 am »

Quote from: paul_jones
which camera are you using it with? with the mamiya and contax, the cropped chip with the p30+ can be anoying. but the h1/2 has such a big finder, that it not such a big deal.

ive had a p25, but now i have a aptus 22.

at the moment i prefer leafs software lc11, its quick, stable and easy. capture ones 3.6 is great, but 4.7.x has still got a bit to go, but it is improving in leaps and bounds. leaf a22 is quite a bit faster than the p30+, and i prefer the the srceen, but both screens are pretty bad.

but for landscape, i didnt think neither would be suited to landscape. i would have though a a75, or a p45 would be better. more megapixels would be far more usefull.

paul
I will use it with a Mamiya AFD.
Ernst

Fotogman

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:10:17 am »

Thanks
Ernst
Having a Leaf for many years, I think it produces the best files I've ever worked on, very clean. I really like the touch screen, and their software is stable, and easy to use. I also like the fact that if I'm shooting to a card, I can process in Lightroom or many other 3rd party software.

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 11:35:26 am »

Thanks
Ernst

I have to concur with others, not that you can't but there are better alternatives from both companies for shooting landscapes.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 11:36:26 am »

I will use it with a Mamiya AFD.
Ernst

I've used the P30 with the Mamiya AFD shooting landscapes and was quite happy.  But you may want to move up to the AFDII or better yet, the AFDIII or Phase 645AF.  Guy Mancuso has a nice Phase 645AF and a Phase P25+ up for sale....

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 11:50:49 am »

Agree with everything here. They are both good systems; however, neither is geared specifically to landscape work and there are other better offerings from both Leaf and Phase One.

I think in general it is a mistake to find a "deal" and then evaluate whether it's right for you. Instead find out what's right for you and then look for a deal.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 11:50:51 am »

Tim the P25 plus or P45 plus is more the landscape backs plus they can do extremely long exposures. Not to promote my sale but the P25 plus in all honesty is awesome for landscape, has nice bite to the images. I have shot a lot with it in this area along with a P45 plus and it is a very slight difference between them in regard to detail. The 9 micron sensor backs are very lens friendly. The one difference you will see between the two is the 25 has about a 1/3 less DR but has a little more punch than the 45 has. Both awesome backs. I have the back, body and 80 D lens in any combination you need, all updated with the latest firmware. I have tons of images posted with this back so may want to look around but there are a lot of very happy 22mpx MF campers out there. The Hassy uses the same sensor as well. Good luck deciding on what works best for you. Sorry once again I commented on the 22mpx backs and I need to stay out of this since I have a sale going on and don't want to sound like I am promoting it so i will keep my mouth shut at this point. I truly am not trying , I just really like this back and hard not to talk about it. I just need something with a little more ISO on it and the P30 plus maybe better for me at this time.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:55:35 am by Guy Mancuso »
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 07:06:40 pm »

I used to use a P30+ for landscape work and found it did the job very well.  I'm now shooting landscape with a technical camera (Cambo RS 1000) and switch backs to the P45+.

I've no first hand experience with a Leaf however I can highly recommend the P30+ - then again the P25+ back that Guy's selling is not shabby either.

Good luck on your choice

Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up