Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 and/or 3800 printing wirelessly  (Read 9403 times)

sanvandur

• http://www.santiagovanegas.com
Epson 9900 and/or 3800 printing wirelessly
« on: April 17, 2009, 01:41:26 pm »

I have an Epson 9900 and a 3800 about 20 ft from my computer (Mac Pro). My Mac Pro has an Airport Extreme card in it, and I have an Airport Extreme station right next to the 9900/3800 printer. Is there a way to print wirelessly and successfully? I've tried many times, but I'm only able to make one print (regardless of file size). To make another I must turn off and back on again my computer, the printer, and the Airport Extreme... and delete the printer from the printer list, and add it back in again. Major hassle. I'm now going to use a USB cord with an "active extension", no wifi. However, I'm curious if anyone has had any success with a similar system.
Thanks
Santiago Vanegas photography at www.santiagovanegas.com

framah

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 02:57:21 pm »

Note in the 9900 manual that they recommend the max USB size to 10'.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

sanvandur

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 03:24:16 pm »

Oh well, I guess I'll take my chances. This is the extension cable I'll be using. Hopefully it'll do what the specs claim and my prints will come out fine.
I'm surprised that given the sheer size of the 9900, a 10' USB cord is the best Epson can suggest. The 9900 is so gigantic that it's a project in itself to find space for it. I'm baffled that going wirelessly is not really an option.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 03:43:01 pm »

do the printers have static IP addresses or are they getting them via DHCP?  you REALLY do not want DHCP.

I print to my Brother laser (via Airport Express on a secondary Wifi network) and to my 3800 (Extreme/Time Capsule) from my wireless MBP all the time w/o ANY problems.

sanvandur

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 08:22:40 pm »

Quote from: howardm
do the printers have static IP addresses or are they getting them via DHCP?  you REALLY do not want DHCP.

I print to my Brother laser (via Airport Express on a secondary Wifi network) and to my 3800 (Extreme/Time Capsule) from my wireless MBP all the time w/o ANY problems.

I think it's a static IP.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 11:02:31 pm »

Is the ABS configured as an Access Point or is it also acting as a Gateway for your internet access?

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 01:07:44 am »

A few things:

Wireless print servers do not typically support the bi-directional communication necessary to use these printers.  There are bridges and access points and wireless servers that will do it, but they're uncommon and typically expensive.

If you're going to run a USB cable, why wouldn't you run an ethernet cable - the Mac will automatically cross over the connection for you (so you can use a standard cable and don't even need a cross over).  Ethernet will give you a 100m range.

Why don't they come with wireless built in?  Because most people set them up in a commercial operation and have ethernet readily available, and because adding that increases cost for what is currently a small demand.  Wireless is also more susceptible to interference, drop out, slow speeds, etc.

However, both your printers come with ethernet ports, so you can either run direct cables or use a wireless AP in bridge mode to talk to your Airport and act as a hub to the two printers (connected to the AP by ethernet cables, but at shorter range) and just print using IP printing.

Both printers can use static IP or DHCP, and support AppleTalk as well.

Hope that helps.
Phil Brown

Tklimek

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 01:11:32 am »

Farmer....

I agree with you; Ethernet is the best option (my opinion).

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: Farmer
A few things:

Wireless print servers do not typically support the bi-directional communication necessary to use these printers.  There are bridges and access points and wireless servers that will do it, but they're uncommon and typically expensive.

If you're going to run a USB cable, why wouldn't you run an ethernet cable - the Mac will automatically cross over the connection for you (so you can use a standard cable and don't even need a cross over).  Ethernet will give you a 100m range.

Why don't they come with wireless built in?  Because most people set them up in a commercial operation and have ethernet readily available, and because adding that increases cost for what is currently a small demand.  Wireless is also more susceptible to interference, drop out, slow speeds, etc.

However, both your printers come with ethernet ports, so you can either run direct cables or use a wireless AP in bridge mode to talk to your Airport and act as a hub to the two printers (connected to the AP by ethernet cables, but at shorter range) and just print using IP printing.

Both printers can use static IP or DHCP, and support AppleTalk as well.

Hope that helps.

sanvandur

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 07:44:37 am »

I'm not very knowledgeable in IT/networking, so bear with me.
Are you suggesting that I just hook up an Ethernet cable between my Mac and my printers? Would I have to configure anything in my Mac to make that work, or is just plug and play as if it were USB?

Farmer

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 07:52:41 am »

Quote from: sanvandur
I'm not very knowledgeable in IT/networking, so bear with me.
Are you suggesting that I just hook up an Ethernet cable between my Mac and my printers? Would I have to configure anything in my Mac to make that work, or is just plug and play as if it were USB?

It's not plug and play, you have to set up IP printing, but yes you can just run a cable like it was USB except for the lack of plug and play.  Setting up a network printer is something you should get advice on from a Macspert since I'm a PC guy, but it's not that hard.  What you won't be able to do is hook both up at once, as I'm pretty sure your Mac only has 1 ethernet port.  The easy way around that (since it seems you're going to have a run a cable anyway) is pick up a cheap (like $20-) wired network router - run one cable from the Mac to it and then from each printer to the hub.  Voila, you have 2 networked printers that will work perfectly well and for almost no cost.
Phil Brown

howardm

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 08:06:29 am »

no one is suggesting that (or they shouldn't be).

I don't think there is any reason you cannot do what you're trying to do lest there be some configuration problem.

Certainly no sane reason for you to power off, reconfigure everything.  Thats just wrong.

contact me offline and I'll give you my phone # and perhaps we can talk through the problem.

first thing you may want to do/try is hardwiring the Mac Pro to the base station thereby eliminating the wireless
from the configuration.  Get that going and then you can add the wireless to the mix.

you should always be able to ping the printer(s) and also telnet to them (which gives you some cool access to their
configuration)

vjbelle

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 09:57:41 am »

I have been able to print to my 8000 wirelessly but would not recommend it.  The printing is slow with stops and starts - a real pita!  Farmer gave the best advice.... buy an inexpensive router and stay wired.  

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 03:36:03 am »

This should work fine, nothing special required.  I have 4 different Epson printers (2 3800s,11880,7900) connected to airport Extremes in 2 different locations, I've never had to do any setup on any of the printers.  Virtually identical to what you describe.

I assume you are connected via ethernet, not the USB port on the Airport Extreme.  When you add your printer, you should have 2 choices show up in the list, Bonjour and Epson TCPIP.  I use the latter, however I have used Bonjour successfully as well.  You didn't say which OS X version you were using, and I assume you've installed the latest driver.

One thing to try ... disconnect the printers from the network and remove the printers from the list. Use the installer program to uninstall the driver.  You may want to  repair permissions at this point.  Reinstall the driver, reconnect the printers, and add the printers.  I have had this cure problems for me with epson printers on a couple of occasions.

It think there are a couple of firmware  updates, I know there is a network firmware update for the 3800 that was released late last year.  May want to be sure all the firmware is up to date.  Not much help I know, other than confirming what you want to do does work quite well.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:36:47 am by Wayne Fox »

sanvandur

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 07:55:47 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
This should work fine, nothing special required.  I have 4 different Epson printers (2 3800s,11880,7900) connected to airport Extremes in 2 different locations, I've never had to do any setup on any of the printers.  Virtually identical to what you describe.

I assume you are connected via ethernet, not the USB port on the Airport Extreme.  When you add your printer, you should have 2 choices show up in the list, Bonjour and Epson TCPIP.  I use the latter, however I have used Bonjour successfully as well.  You didn't say which OS X version you were using, and I assume you've installed the latest driver.

One thing to try ... disconnect the printers from the network and remove the printers from the list. Use the installer program to uninstall the driver.  You may want to  repair permissions at this point.  Reinstall the driver, reconnect the printers, and add the printers.  I have had this cure problems for me with epson printers on a couple of occasions.

It think there are a couple of firmware  updates, I know there is a network firmware update for the 3800 that was released late last year.  May want to be sure all the firmware is up to date.  Not much help I know, other than confirming what you want to do does work quite well.

I've tried this multiple times. Doesn't work with my setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up