Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Return of the Swans  (Read 2452 times)

John R

Return of the Swans
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:50:57 pm »

Tonight I was very fortunate to come across a pair of swans in a small alcove at sunset, which had wonderful subtle colours. But I almost blew it, because I was so focused on the movement and position of the swans that I did not notice I had earlier switched to manual focus mode. I was shooting handheld ruined most of the shots but managed to salvage this one. I only made basic brightness and horizon alterations so far.

JMR

Edit- I decided to show two more images from the shoot. One is not bad, a wider view and a beautiful juxtaposition of the swans as they swim away. The last image is an attempt to save an otherwise good image using the Orton technique.

JMR
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:48:12 am by John R »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Return of the Swans
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 03:43:22 am »

Quote from: John R
Tonight I was very fortunate to come across a pair of swans in a small alcove at sunset, which had wonderful subtle colours. But I almost blew it, because I was so focused on the movement and position of the swans that I did not notice I had earlier switched to manual focus mode. I was shooting handheld ruined most of the shots but managed to salvage this one. I only made basic brightness and horizon alterations so far.

JMR
Beautiful (and it's so reassuring to hear that other people make the same cock-ups that I do).

Jeremy

LoisWakeman

Return of the Swans
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 11:08:25 am »

So atmospheric John: I can feel the cool breeze and hear the wavelets lapping on the shore. Very pleasing composition too.

francois

Return of the Swans
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:16:34 pm »

A very soothing photo. I like the subtle tonalities of the sky.
Francois

John R

Return of the Swans
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 05:54:51 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
Beautiful (and it's so reassuring to hear that other people make the same cock-ups that I do).

Jeremy
Thank you. Though I am happy with this shot, I am somewhat disappointed because I could have had at least 4-5 good images if I had been paying attention.

JMR

John R

Return of the Swans
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 05:57:28 pm »

Quote from: LoisWakeman
So atmospheric John: I can feel the cool breeze and hear the wavelets lapping on the shore. Very pleasing composition too.
Thanks, the swans were very cooperative and sunset was wonderful. Shot was taken facing the southern sky, toward Lake Ontario, into the USA.

JMR

John R

Return of the Swans
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 06:00:18 pm »

Quote from: francois
A very soothing photo. I like the subtle tonalities of the sky.
Thank you. If only the others had come out, but they are all blurry. Se la vie.

JMR
Pages: [1]   Go Up