Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imacon 343 vs. Nikon 8000  (Read 29620 times)

Jan Brittenson

Imacon 343 vs. Nikon 8000
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2003, 07:26:24 pm »

I don't understand the scanhancer comparison.  It's clearly a descreening device (perhaps because the Minolta lacks builtin descreening?), but they compare it to an 848 scan sharpened and without descreening!  They should compare it to an unsharpened scan with descreening.  They also don't specify what film is used, making it impossible to reproduce the results yourself...  Pretty typical marketing noise.

Bill Koenig

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2003, 12:05:30 pm »

Minolta has come out withn a new filmscanner for 135 film
format? With 5400 dpi, 16 Bit color depth, ICE etc. Price and availability not
public yet.
use this link and click on the scanner name:

http://www.minoltaeurope.com/press/press.html
Bill Koenig,

Erik

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2003, 01:54:56 pm »

Comparing your diffusion device to a scanner with the same functionality software adjustable in fine steps, but not used, frankly makes you look utterly clueless.
The difference between software treatment of a scan and hardware improvement of a scanner is something some people seem not to understand.

Anyway, with my solution it is still possible to perform any descreening you desire on your scan. Descreening is nothing else but unfocusing the pixeldata by digital means, so descreening generates loss of definition, a Scanhancer doesn't. For a fair comparison it is thus best do perform no descreening on both scans, as there might be differences in the respective software packages.

Also: how hard one will descreen ever, the white dots in the Imacon scan will stay there, although less sharp perhaps.

Erik

chrisso

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2003, 04:11:17 am »

I'm with you Mike, although I haven't yet actually put my money where my mouth is. I can only hope that the rush to digital SLR's will further reduce the cost of high quality film scanners.

Erik

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2003, 08:48:50 pm »

Sorry, the second link I added in my previous mail was outdated. It should be:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/minolta/mp.htm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up