Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching for a Leica M8  (Read 3047 times)

Jimlizard

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidguimaraes/
Searching for a Leica M8
« on: April 16, 2009, 07:09:25 pm »

Hi,

I'm searching for an used Leica M8 on the market, prefentially in mint condition.
I have more interest in the black chrome version, however i can also consider the silver chromed one.

I live in Portugal, but it's ok for me to buy it inside the European Union.

Today I almost bought one in Portugal, for 2000eur. It was the black one, bought new two years ago, but with something around 1000 shutter actuations, since the owner has other cameras and just use it in very few occasions.  The problem was the fact the seller decided to change is mind on the last hour, because his wife loved the camera so much.
The camera had two batteries and it was in mint condition so, i'm looking for something around those values and condition.

If there is interest from you, i can offer as part of the payment a near mint Mamiya 7 + Sekor 80mm, or a first series Rolleiflex 2.8F (Carl Zeiss Planar), especially modified for a collector, using 24K pure gold painting and crocodile leather.

If you have something to offer, please contact me to:

jimlizard@gmail.com

Thanks.
David
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 07:30:35 pm by Jimlizard »
"All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth." - Richard Avedon

paratom

Searching for a Leica M8
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:27:48 am »

Quote from: Jimlizard
Hi,

I'm searching for an used Leica M8 on the market, prefentially in mint condition.
I have more interest in the black chrome version, however i can also consider the silver chromed one.

I live in Portugal, but it's ok for me to buy it inside the European Union.

Today I almost bought one in Portugal, for 2000eur. It was the black one, bought new two years ago, but with something around 1000 shutter actuations, since the owner has other cameras and just use it in very few occasions.  The problem was the fact the seller decided to change is mind on the last hour, because his wife loved the camera so much.
The camera had two batteries and it was in mint condition so, i'm looking for something around those values and condition.

If there is interest from you, i can offer as part of the payment a near mint Mamiya 7 + Sekor 80mm, or a first series Rolleiflex 2.8F (Carl Zeiss Planar), especially modified for a collector, using 24K pure gold painting and crocodile leather.

If you have something to offer, please contact me to:

jimlizard@gmail.com

Thanks.
David

David,
A friend of me wants to sell his totally mint M8 with full update (display, frames and shutter).
He asks 3100 €+shipping. This is more than 2000 but you get the scratchresistant screen, new frames and silent shutter and of course renewed guarantee.
Let me know in case you are interested. Tom

Located in Germany

Jimlizard

Searching for a Leica M8
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 02:35:07 am »

Quote from: paratom
David,
A friend of me wants to sell his totally mint M8 with full update (display, frames and shutter).
He asks 3100 €+shipping. This is more than 2000 but you get the scratchresistant screen, new frames and silent shutter and of course renewed guarantee.
Let me know in case you are interested. Tom

Located in Germany

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your offer.
It seems a nice camera, especially taking in account it has all the updates, which are expensive, however i don't want to spend that much.
I also have the opportunity to buy one for 2450 eur + Shipping in Germany. It's a great deal, because the camera was bought new on January this year and still has warranty for 2 years more. The problem is that i also want to buy a Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f/1.2 and then i'll end spending more than i want.

Thanks anyway,
David

paratom

Searching for a Leica M8
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 12:27:46 pm »

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your offer.
It seems a nice camera, especially taking in account it has all the updates, which are expensive, however i don't want to spend that much.
I also have the opportunity to buy one for 2450 eur + Shipping in Germany. It's a great deal, because the camera was bought new on January this year and still has warranty for 2 years more. The problem is that i also want to buy a Voigtländer Nokton 35mm f/1.2 and then i'll end spending more than i want.

Thanks anyway,
David

I understand. If you take time you might find what you want. M8 is a great camera!
Tom

Jimlizard

Searching for a Leica M8
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:45:20 pm »

I understand. If you take time you might find what you want. M8 is a great camera!
Tom

Yes, i hope so.
The good thing is that i'm aware of all the problems and limitations these cameras have so, i won't be disappointed for sure. Most people buy M8's expecting them to perform like an EOS and i think that's the problem.
I know it's bad above ISO320, i know it has that crazy thing about IR, the framelines are not very precise, it is slow and has some others problems. However i think it's all about the pleasure it can give you, the wonderful lenses you can use, and the fact it's different from any other camera (Ok, Epson RD-1 is also a digital rangefinder, but sensor is smaller). It doesn't have an AA filter and, if you use it right, i think you can get excellent results from it.

I had a 5D with a lot of manual focus lenses, and i sold expecting to buy a Mamiya ZD / AF-D II + ZD back. It's the opposite concept of the M8, but i shoot a lot of different stuff (only for pleasure). Then the M8 came to my mind and, since i already had a M6 and a M3, i can't forget the idea of having almost the same experience in a digital camera.

paratom

Searching for a Leica M8
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:04:05 am »

Yes, i hope so.
The good thing is that i'm aware of all the problems and limitations these cameras have so, i won't be disappointed for sure. Most people buy M8's expecting them to perform like an EOS and i think that's the problem.
I know it's bad above ISO320, i know it has that crazy thing about IR, the framelines are not very precise, it is slow and has some others problems. However i think it's all about the pleasure it can give you, the wonderful lenses you can use, and the fact it's different from any other camera (Ok, Epson RD-1 is also a digital rangefinder, but sensor is smaller). It doesn't have an AA filter and, if you use it right, i think you can get excellent results from it.

I had a 5D with a lot of manual focus lenses, and i sold expecting to buy a Mamiya ZD / AF-D II + ZD back. It's the opposite concept of the M8, but i shoot a lot of different stuff (only for pleasure). Then the M8 came to my mind and, since i already had a M6 and a M3, i can't forget the idea of having almost the same experience in a digital camera.

I dont think the M8 is slow, and I also find the the IQ is very good up to (including) 640 ISO.

Jimlizard

Searching for a Leica M8
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:08:21 pm »

I dont think the M8 is slow, and I also find the the IQ is very good up to (including) 640 ISO.

Great to see some users find the image quality very good at ISO 640!
I just based my comment on internet reviews and some examples i found, since i never used one. The problem is the fact that those examples were shot in jpeg and i would love to see some RAW files, which are harder to find.
I think i'll open a topic, to see if Leica M8 users can send me the some RAW files, so i can check them better, using my usual workflow.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 05:09:38 pm by Jimlizard »

Conner999

Searching for a Leica M8
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 05:24:37 pm »

Try www.getdpi.com as well - lots of M shooters in situ.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 05:24:58 pm by Conner999 »

julius0377

Searching for a Leica M8
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 07:19:06 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:39:05 am by julius0377 »

Jimlizard

Searching for a Leica M8
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 02:04:13 pm »

Conner999,

Thank you for the tip!