Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing a scratched rear LCD surface on Canon 5D  (Read 3340 times)

Stuarte

• http://
Replacing a scratched rear LCD surface on Canon 5D
« on: April 16, 2009, 02:22:32 pm »

Last September on a trip to NYC I made the mistake of taking my Canon 5D in a back pack that had been used for other purposes.  There was grit in it and the rear LCD screen picked up several vertical scratches, each around 3-4 mm.  They don't interfere with the operation of the camera, but they bug me.  

I took it in to a local camera store and the guy advised me to just live with it, as a repair would cost over £100.  But checking round on the Net, I get the impression that it's possible to 1) get a replacement screen at a low price and 2) fit it DIY.  

Does anyone here have experience, steers or insights on this issue?

schrodingerscat

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 01:18:35 pm »

Quote from: Stuarte
Last September on a trip to NYC I made the mistake of taking my Canon 5D in a back pack that had been used for other purposes.  There was grit in it and the rear LCD screen picked up several vertical scratches, each around 3-4 mm.  They don't interfere with the operation of the camera, but they bug me.  

I took it in to a local camera store and the guy advised me to just live with it, as a repair would cost over £100.  But checking round on the Net, I get the impression that it's possible to 1) get a replacement screen at a low price and 2) fit it DIY.  

Does anyone here have experience, steers or insights on this issue?

Actually, it's not the LCD, but the clear cover that is scratched. You have to pull the rear cover, making sure not to damage the flex boards connecting it to the main board. The LCD assy and it's boards then need to be pulled to remove the clear cover.

Not a particularly difficult job for someone familiar with working on electronics. Without proper skills and tools, very easy for things to go sideways. The price does seem a bit stiff.

What I would do is pick up some good two step plastic pollish and buff them out best as possible.

Like dust spots in the viewfinder, it's gonna happen and it's best to not get too worked up. Those camera armor sets come with an LCD protector, and do a good job keeping gear looking good in rugged country.

francois

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:49:52 am »

I don't know if the 5D is identical to 1D but if it is the case then with a little patience you can probably do it.

I would try schrodingerscat's suggestion first, ie use plastic polish.

I have no experience with a 5D but I replaced the rear cover on my 1D body. I purchased the parts (rear TFT cover and 10 double sided self-adhesive tapes  around $20). I removed the cover with a suction cup (be very gentle). The tricky part is to put back the very thin double-sided tape. It's so thin that it can easily stick to your fingers. That's why I got 10 of them. Before putting the new cover back on the body, be sure that it's very clean or fingerprints/dust spots will show through the cover.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 03:51:59 am by francois »
Francois

250swb

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 05:26:05 pm »

You could try one of those clear stick on protectors. They tend to even out any scratches just like coating the screen in a varnish would, and they have the advantage of deflecting the light from another surface rather than the scratched one.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up