Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson's replacing my 7900  (Read 6016 times)

Paul Eby

• http://www.digitalokpphoto.com
Epson's replacing my 7900
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:22:30 am »

We installed the 7900 a few weeks ago and dealt with clogging from the start. After a couple of support calls Epson has informed me they will replace the printer. As much as I am happy with Epsons service I am not looking forward to lugging the printers to and from the back of the building again.

Question though. I have this printer set up through our LAN. Will I be able to just re-connect the new printer or will I have to uninstall the old and re-install drivers, etc. for the new?

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:20:11 pm »

Quote from: Paul Eby
We installed the 7900 a few weeks ago and dealt with clogging from the start. After a couple of support calls Epson has informed me they will replace the printer. As much as I am happy with Epsons service I am not looking forward to lugging the printers to and from the back of the building again.

Question though. I have this printer set up through our LAN. Will I be able to just re-connect the new printer or will I have to uninstall the old and re-install drivers, etc. for the new?

Not sure why they have to replace it either. I had excessive cleaning issues with my 7900 and the parts and a technician came in 2 days and fixed it. If they have not at least looked at it once I would insist they come. It could be as simple as the local technician is on a 2 week vacation and cannot get to your place in Epsons normal response time.
Dan Berg
Bergs Canvas Gallery
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 07:35:42 pm by Dan Berg »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:09:18 pm »

Yes, surprising they are replacing the printer ... sounds odd unless it is just tough to get a tech to where you live and easier to send a new printer.  Hopefully the new printer doesn't have the same problem.

You shouldn't have to uninstall and re-install drivers, but you most likely will have to delete the printer and setup a new printer.  You didn't indicate which OS, I'm quite sure this would be required for the Mac. Each printer identifies itself uniquely to the driver so a single computer can work with multiple printers.  I'm sure Windows operates similarly ... once you install the driver you actually add the printer itself, so you would have to remove it and add the new printer.

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:14:34 am »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Yes, surprising they are replacing the printer ... sounds odd unless it is just tough to get a tech to where you live and easier to send a new printer.  Hopefully the new printer doesn't have the same problem.

You shouldn't have to uninstall and re-install drivers, but you most likely will have to delete the printer and setup a new printer.  You didn't indicate which OS, I'm quite sure this would be required for the Mac. Each printer identifies itself uniquely to the driver so a single computer can work with multiple printers.  I'm sure Windows operates similarly ... once you install the driver you actually add the printer itself, so you would have to remove it and add the new printer.

Under Windows, for USB, just plug it in.  It will automatically install (using the already installed driver) and you'll see two printers - delete the original one and away you go.

For network, just set the IP address on the new printer, and away you go.
Phil Brown

Paul Eby

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 07:53:41 am »

I should have included the reason for replacement as to on site repair. Apparently we are in too remote of a location for technician travel.
Also to add, our OS is Win XP.

Paul Eby

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:59:15 am »

Hopefully the new printer doesn't have the same problem.

If all it takes to rectify the problem is to replace a few parts then surely Epson would make sure the new printer was updated prior to shipping?

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 08:27:06 am »

If all it takes to rectify the problem is to replace a few parts then surely Epson would make sure the new printer was updated prior to shipping?

None of the printers would be shipped out knowing there was something wrong.  The change of parts isn't necessarily an update of parts, just a change because some may have failed for some reason.

I also strongly recommend downloading the latest firmware as soon as the printer is up and running and updating.

Also, check with Epson, but they probably won't mind if you keep the inks and maint tanks from the faulty machine when it's sent back (but I would start the new one up with the new inkset to avoid any possible problems).

And, yes, for XP just plug it in, a new printer will be added for USB (then delete the old one) or for ethernet just set the new printer to the old printer's IP address (if you used dynamic addresses and the Epson network utility, you'll just need to let it discover the new printer).
Phil Brown

AFairley

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 03:16:43 pm »

Quote from: Farmer
Also, check with Epson, but they probably won't mind if you keep the inks and maint tanks from the faulty machine when it's sent back (but I would start the new one up with the new inkset to avoid any possible problems).

I'm not familiar with the 7900, but when you return a 3800 you have to have the carts installed so the ink in the lines doesn't leak all over the place.

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 07:31:52 pm »

Quote from: AFairley
I'm not familiar with the 7900, but when you return a 3800 you have to have the carts installed so the ink in the lines doesn't leak all over the place.

The real issue is of ink drying, not leaking so much (although the carts being in does help with that).  Shipping fluid doesn't leak when the printer is shipped prior to first being used, and the ink isn't much different in that regard.

It's more a matter of what agreement there is with Epson concerning what has to be returned, otherwise he may be billed.  That's why I said speak to them and ask - they may be happy for him to keep a few dollars worth of maint tanks and unused ink.
Phil Brown

Paul Eby

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 07:37:28 am »

The real issue is of ink drying, not leaking so much (although the carts being in does help with that).  Shipping fluid doesn't leak when the printer is shipped prior to first being used, and the ink isn't much different in that regard.

It's more a matter of what agreement there is with Epson concerning what has to be returned, otherwise he may be billed.  That's why I said speak to them and ask - they may be happy for him to keep a few dollars worth of maint tanks and unused ink.

Actually in my case I'll be keeping some of the cartridges because I have replaced a few of the start up inks with my own.

stevegoldenberg

• Steve Goldenberg Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 10:20:20 am »

Wayne,  so your recent posts sound like your 7900 is now working clog-free - is that right?  Do you know what caused the clogs to begin with, based on the service calls you got from Epson?
Steve Goldenberg
Street &

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 03:38:09 am »

Quote from: goldmember
Wayne,  so your recent posts sound like your 7900 is now working clog-free - is that right?  Do you know what caused the clogs to begin with, based on the service calls you got from Epson?

I had one clog the other day (Printer had been turned off for over two weeks).  So not quite clog free, but pretty close.

I know the last visit they replaced the head itself ... altogether they replaced the wiper, head, pump, and AID board.  

Not sure which thing fixed it.  I've been wondering if heads are clogging or if there is a problem with air bubbles. Seems like many have said their clog problems "clear up" after a time.

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 04:31:19 am »

Seems like many have said their clog problems "clear up" after a time.

In nearly six months, not yet.
My AID has been switched off since November.
I keep an eye on what is really going on by using the test pattern before every print session.
Random clogs almost every time.
Grrrr.
At least the print speed impresses my clients.

Ryan
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

deanb2010

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 09:17:21 pm »

Quote from: Ionaca
In nearly six months, not yet.
My AID has been switched off since November.
I keep an eye on what is really going on by using the test pattern before every print session.
Random clogs almost every time.
Grrrr.
At least the print speed impresses my clients.

Ryan

My beef with my 7900 is that the head pair option doesn't work like you might think it should based on the literature.  You initiate a head pair clean, the printer goes into an automatic cleaning mode (Acknowledged by Epson Support) which will likely burn more ink than if one were to clean the pair, do a nozzle check, then clean the next pair, etc.  The printer is perfectly capable of cleaning a pair at a time, if that option were truely enabled. It is really, really frustrating to me. Why include the option then dumb it down so that it really isn't an option.  Come on Epson, step up.

Farmer

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 06:16:16 am »

Quote from: deanb2010
My beef with my 7900 is that the head pair option doesn't work like you might think it should based on the literature.  You initiate a head pair clean, the printer goes into an automatic cleaning mode (Acknowledged by Epson Support) which will likely burn more ink than if one were to clean the pair, do a nozzle check, then clean the next pair, etc.  The printer is perfectly capable of cleaning a pair at a time, if that option were truely enabled. It is really, really frustrating to me. Why include the option then dumb it down so that it really isn't an option.  Come on Epson, step up.

The current release firmware *should* resolve this issue.  Check with Epson in your location (firmware is released on a regional basis).
Phil Brown

Mulis Pictus

• http://mulispictus.cz
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 07:49:28 am »

The current release firmware *should* resolve this issue.  Check with Epson in your location (firmware is released on a regional basis).

Do you know the firmware version? I would like to check mine. Fortunately I didn't have any clog for a month or so. I just regularly get cleaning after MK --> PK switch, which I guess is normal, to flush remaining bits of MK ink.

Mulis

deanb2010

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 09:05:22 pm »

Quote from: Mulis Pictus
Do you know the firmware version? I would like to check mine. Fortunately I didn't have any clog for a month or so. I just regularly get cleaning after MK --> PK switch, which I guess is normal, to flush remaining bits of MK ink.

Mulis

I have installed the most recent firmware update; April 13th version, on the USA Epson website. Still the same issue; head pair cleaning goes into the automatic mode. In fact they "fixed" the bug in their software that allowed me to "kluge" the way I had devised to clean only a head pair at a time. According to the Epson support group, the tech support team has maintenance software that allows them to clean a head pair at a time, so we know it can be done; it certainly is not a hardware issue. Let's hope they fix it soon.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:06:45 pm by deanb2010 »

Farmer

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 06:15:07 am »

Quote from: deanb2010
I have installed the most recent firmware update; April 13th version, on the USA Epson website. Still the same issue; head pair cleaning goes into the automatic mode. In fact they "fixed" the bug in their software that allowed me to "kluge" the way I had devised to clean only a head pair at a time. According to the Epson support group, the tech support team has maintenance software that allows them to clean a head pair at a time, so we know it can be done; it certainly is not a hardware issue. Let's hope they fix it soon.

Hmm, was supposed to have been fixed as far as I know.  See what I can find out.
Phil Brown

Farmer

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 11:33:41 pm »

Dean - can you explain exactly what is happening?  I've tested this on 7900 and 9900 with the latest firmware and the colour-pair cleaning works correctly so far as I can see.
Phil Brown

deanb2010

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 02:07:47 pm »

Dean - can you explain exactly what is happening?  I've tested this on 7900 and 9900 with the latest firmware and the colour-pair cleaning works correctly so far as I can see.

This issue is important to me because I had a 7600 that wasted as much ink as I used to print. I quit using it except for exception prints. The issue with it was, it cleaned every head every cleaning cycle.  I would get one head clean then another would clog and on and on and on. So with the 7900, I saw where it could clean head pairs at a time.  This isn't perfect (I want one head to clean at a time not even a pair) but I could live with this.  I turned off all the automatic cleaning stuff because I don't trust the machine to do the cleaning for me.  What triggered my questions about what was happening is that on several occassions I had multiple head pairs that were clogged to one degree or another. So I started the cleaning on one pair, and they all came back clean.  This didn't look like a head pair cleaning to me.  The printer seems to have a rythm in its cleaning cycle and even the head pair cleaning appeared to doing something along the lines of an automatic cleaning cycle.

When a cartridge gets so low, the printer wants it replaced before a cleaning cycle is initiated for the head that cartridge is associated with.  If you have multiple clogged heads, it will clean the pair that you first selected (if you have enough ink for that pair), then it will stop at the next, if the next one is short of ink and ask you to replace the cartridge.  If you tell the printer to stop, and print a nozzle check pattern you will see that only the head pair you selected is clean while the other pair will still have a clog. When you replace the low cartridge with a new one, then select the head pair to clean associated with that new cartridge, it will then clean. Depending on where that headpair is in the overall cleaning cycle of the printer it will go into an automatic mode and check/clean the remaining pairs or if it is the last pair in the cycle it will stop.  I have not yet determined the pair cleaning order in the cycle but I'm getting there.

Epson Tech support confirmed that if you select a head pair to clean, the printer will automatically go into a check/cleaning cycle for the other pairs.  This drives me nuts. It is a waste of ink and time.  Epson ink is expensive enough without flushing it down the drain. Why offer the option then not fully enable it?

I am having intermittant clogs with my printer (I am keeping every nozzle test page with date and cleaning cycle selected so I can identify any patterns). I have read and been told that there are airbubbles that have to work themselves out of the system and I can believe that.  So I am trying to be patient otherwise.  The printer prints beautifully, I have no beefs with that.

One other issue that is interesting. If a cartridge says that it only has 1% ink left, it is apparently significantly more than that. I have several cartridges are at 1% and they print, and print and print. So it appears that something is also messed up in the math used to track and report ink usage but apparently the printer knows what the reality really is.  One wonders if this is a marketing ploy or a safety stock issue.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up