Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LexJet Sunset Select Gloss Canvas  (Read 2992 times)

davisf8

LexJet Sunset Select Gloss Canvas
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:25:05 pm »

Anyone use the "LexJet Sunset Select Gloss Canvas"?

If so can you describe this canvas to me? Is it really glossy or more satin?

What printer pre-sets do you use. I assume you would use one that would trigger the photo black ink if this is a glossy canvas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will be printing with my Z3100 - 44".

Thanks,
Alan

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 02:04:05 am »

It is a pure glossy canvas, will need the PK inkset.  

Overall a nice canvas, however it still needs to be coated and you will have to spray the
coating on as if you roll it (as least when I tried) you will pull the ink off with the roller.
Note, you can spray on either Clearstar or Glamour II, or the new coating that is made by
Lexjet.  The first two are water based, but you can still spray them on, just don't try to roll
them on.

Due to the glossy finish, your inks are not dry as quick and you have to be very careful
with the print.  

I have many prints out there with this canvas, so far no returns no cracks.  It stretches well
also, however you really have to watch your corners when you stretch as it's easy to rub
the ink off.  Remember the ink is on a layer of gesso like material that holds the glossy
substrate and it's fragile.  

Nice deep colors and blacks.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

davisf8

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 07:59:28 am »

Paul,

Thank you for the quick response. This is just what I needed to know. I have always rolled on either Premier Art's Eco Print Shield or BC Glamour II and really don't want to get into spraying so I guess I will look for another canvas.

I am looking for a canvas for portraits. One that will give me a large color gamut and a really good d-max. I have tried several brands of matte canvas but have not been completely satisfied with the results.

Thanks again,
Alan

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:09:52 am »

I have been using Black Diamond Satin canvas by IJ Technologies.  Anyone else been using it?  Its very stiff and has a smooth surface.  So smooth it's almost to the point of why even bother printing on canvas.   I would like to find a canvas for PK inks with the most 'canvas like' surface texture.  Seems that its the matte surfaced products that have more texture but I'm not going to be using MK ink.
CMurph

davisf8

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 07:32:59 am »

Quote from: Craig Murphy
I have been using Black Diamond Satin canvas by IJ Technologies.  Anyone else been using it?  Its very stiff and has a smooth surface.  So smooth it's almost to the point of why even bother printing on canvas.   I would like to find a canvas for PK inks with the most 'canvas like' surface texture.  Seems that its the matte surfaced products that have more texture but I'm not going to be using MK ink.

I'm with ya Craig! I am also looking for a canvas that I can use photo black ink when printing on my Z3100. I've been reading that on gloss canvas you have to spray it and can't roll on the Glamour II. Don't really want to get into spraying but may have to!

Does anyone know of a canvas we can use photo black and can we roll on the Glamour II

Alan

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 11:19:38 am »

I would recommend since you have the matte and Photo cart installed in the HP, to use a Matte canvas instead.  The Breathing color Chromata White or Lexjet Sunset matte both are
great.  You can still roll on the Glamour II.  The matte ink will just make the images pop once you coat them.  

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 12:32:40 pm »

Quote from: davisf8
....I am also looking for a canvas that I can use photo black ink when printing on my Z3100. I've been reading that on gloss canvas you have to spray it and can't roll on the Glamour II. Don't really want to get into spraying but may have to!

Does anyone know of a canvas we can use photo black and can we roll on the Glamour II

Alan

Photo Black looks fine on Breathing Color's Chromata White using their generated profile.

I'd recommend spraying the Glamour II----gawd, it's just so much nicer and easier!
Pages: [1]   Go Up