Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charleston foliage  (Read 2866 times)

dalethorn

Charleston foliage
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:32:17 pm »

Taken at Charles Pinckney estate 3/15/2009.  I would have preferred a wider view, but the immediate surrounds didn't match.

popnfresh

Charleston foliage
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 01:43:03 pm »

Compositionally it's OK, but the lighting is flat and uninteresting. And overall, it looks somewhat washed out. Also, the "Danger" sign on the door adds a certain incongruous irony. I would have approached the shot differently and gone for a play on the Danger sign and moved in tighter on the shed. Its oddly whimsical shape makes it look like something out of a Grimm's fairy tale. The Danger sign suggests there may be an ogre within. And I would have shot it at a different time of day when the lighting was more dramatic. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:43:40 pm by popnfresh »

John R

Charleston foliage
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:00:38 pm »

Other than the white out areas of sky, I like it. I suppose one could have had different lighting, but when travelling, you get what you get. And the moss may not have looked as good in anything other than overcast or bright overcast lighting. The sign is certainly not one found on this kind of shack. After a second look, I somehow want the door to be partly open, which would greatly enhance visual interest. But is that even possible with a sign like that!

JMR
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:05:09 pm by John R »

dalethorn

Charleston foliage
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:04:00 pm »

As the weather gets warmer, we'll be going out there early or late, which should be better for lighting.  I'm also hoping for more of that droopy-mossy-foliage effect that's common in the deep South, and Summer might be a good time for that.  I also haven't used a digital camera with a sensor larger than the LX3, so if I can get a GH1 in June or July, that might help with the flat/washed-out look.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Charleston foliage
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:38:37 am »

I like how the lichen/mossy/whatever stuff nearly perfectly frames the shed.  While I would like to see more foreground, from what you say, it's not possible, so that's acceptable.  I think a B&W conversion and a contrast boost would take care of the flat light.  I don't know if the B&W conversion would do anything about the light, but I'm definitely a monochrome man!  I'm sure this venue will bring you many pleasing compositions as you visit it again.  I look forward to seeing some more images!

button

• http://
Charleston foliage
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 09:32:44 am »

I think this image will work as a B/W or monochrome with some post processing.  I think it needs significantly more contrast as well as an overall decrease in brightness level, with some judicious dodging/burning.  Bring down the lumenosity of the sky relative to the shed.  Please give this a shot and repost.

John
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:36:41 am by button »

popnfresh

Charleston foliage
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 01:19:06 am »

Quote from: John R
Other than the white out areas of sky, I like it. I suppose one could have had different lighting, but when travelling, you get what you get. And the moss may not have looked as good in anything other than overcast or bright overcast lighting. The sign is certainly not one found on this kind of shack. After a second look, I somehow want the door to be partly open, which would greatly enhance visual interest. But is that even possible with a sign like that!

JMR
I like the idea of shooting it with the door ajar. Next time bring a crowbar with you!  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:19:37 am by popnfresh »

dalethorn

Charleston foliage
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 08:32:50 am »

Quote from: popnfresh
I like the idea of shooting it with the door ajar. Next time bring a crowbar with you!  

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. This one is my favorite.
Pages: [1]   Go Up