Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Canyon - sunrise and sunset spots  (Read 10651 times)

ChrisVienne

Grand Canyon - sunrise and sunset spots
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:27:01 pm »

I will be there in the middle of the last week of May. I heard that the place is usually quite crowded now... and that looking for a good spot you better be there some time in advance to ensure your position... is this true?
What are the best spots you would suggest for sunrise and for sunset?
Many Thanks

Chris

Adam Schallau

• www.AdamSchallau.com
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 01:09:30 pm »

Hi Chris,

Yep, that's going to be a very busy time to visit the canyon, but it is possible to get away from a majority of the people. I would suggest Lipan Point, Moran Point and Yaki Point for sunrise and Desert View, Yaki Point and Mohave Point for sunset.  One thing to keep in mind about Yaki Point is that you have to ride the shuttle bus to get there. It can also be very busy, but you can walk a hundred yards to the east of the point and have a nice area to yourself. Also, The rim walk between Mather Point and Grand Canyon Village will give you several opportunities to avoid a majority of the crowds.

I'm sure I'll think of a few others and will update the thread with new posts as they come to mind. Please let me know if you have any questions. Check out my website for my Grand Canyon work which I created last month while I was there as the Artist-in-Residence.

Adam
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 01:11:50 pm by Adam Schallau »

framah

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:06:57 pm »

Try over at the North Rim for fewer people as well as heading out to Toroweep Point.

You will DEFINITELY be alone out there!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

ChrisVienne

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 06:01:17 pm »

Quote from: Adam Schallau
Hi Chris,

Yep, that's going to be a very busy time to visit the canyon, but it is possible to get away from a majority of the people. I would suggest Lipan Point, Moran Point and Yaki Point for sunrise and Desert View, Yaki Point and Mohave Point for sunset.  One thing to keep in mind about Yaki Point is that you have to ride the shuttle bus to get there. It can also be very busy, but you can walk a hundred yards to the east of the point and have a nice area to yourself. Also, The rim walk between Mather Point and Grand Canyon Village will give you several opportunities to avoid a majority of the crowds.

I'm sure I'll think of a few others and will update the thread with new posts as they come to mind. Please let me know if you have any questions. Check out my website for my Grand Canyon work which I created last month while I was there as the Artist-in-Residence.

Adam
Thanks Adam.
ALSO: Congratulation for your pictures! a fantastic job! perfect places, framing and exquisite timing versus the light!

ChrisVienne

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 06:06:48 pm »

Quote from: framah
Try over at the North Rim for fewer people as well as heading out to Toroweep Point.

You will DEFINITELY be alone out there!

Thanks Framah.
You are right....  I will go to the north rim and spend one full day after a stop by PAGE...
I still have in mind the scenery along the road heading to the rim... meadows with flowers... it was 30 years ago... Hope fires have not destroyed those sceneries...

vandevanterSH

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 10:16:51 pm »

Quote from: ChrisVienne
Thanks Framah.
You are right....  I will go to the north rim and spend one full day after a stop by PAGE...
I still have in mind the scenery along the road heading to the rim... meadows with flowers... it was 30 years ago... Hope fires have not destroyed those sceneries...

The North Rim will be open May 15.  If the choice is North or South...go to the North Rim.

Steve

francois

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 08:40:00 am »

Another vote for the North Rim…
Francois

framah

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 04:26:02 pm »

When you get into Fredonia, turn right at the light ( there might be more than one light now, but back then it was smaller)  and head out till you see a dirt road on the left thru a fence. This road goes out to Toroweep point. Definitely have a map with you for this road but once you get to the end... wow!!

This road is a dirt, rock ledge type of road and is somewhat slow going but worth the effort.

Check at the BLM office in Fredonia as they can give you better directions. Great area!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

vandevanterSH

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 08:55:03 pm »

Here is a link to a "photo album" of Toroweap.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index34.htm

kuau

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 03:25:30 pm »

What are some good places to go to on the north rim for sunset photos? I am going tomorrow
thanks
side note..
Adam your pictures are amazing well done.

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 12:32:55 pm »

Hi Adam. I've been enjoying all of the beautiful images on your blog and galleries. One of the best reasons to frequent forums like these is finding those special web sites I wouldn't otherwise run across.

I have a rather mundane question for you. On your blog you post small photos which, when clicked, show larger in a popup. What are you using to generate the popup? Is it a javascript? I've seen that used on a number of other web sites as well, and it seems like a convenient way to present photos within a blog.

Regards,
Mort.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Adam Schallau

• www.AdamSchallau.com
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 10:38:58 pm »

Hi Mort,

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that you have enjoyed viewing the images on my blog and websites.

To generate the pop-up images on my blog, I'm using Lightbox 2.

Best,
Adam
Pages: [1]   Go Up