Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expirience with Schnieder/Rodenstock 180/5.6 Digitar/HR  (Read 7529 times)

mcrepsej

• http://www.iversenfoto.dk
Expirience with Schnieder/Rodenstock 180/5.6 Digitar/HR
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:27:35 am »

Hi.

Has anyone had experience with Schneider 180/5.6 Apo Digitar T and/or Rodenstock 180/5.6 Apo Sironar Digital HR?

Lens is used for jewelry photography but it is sharp enough for close-up use and do the HR have tilt/shift enough. I want a longer focal lens than I can get with a 120  macro lens.

Lens is used with a P45+ on a Cambo Ultima 23.

Kind regards

McRepsej

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:11:27 am »

Quote from: mcrepsej
Hi.

Has anyone had experience with Schneider 180/5.6 Apo Digitar T and/or Rodenstock 180/5.6 Apo Sironar Digital HR?

Lens is used for jewelry photography but it is sharp enough for close-up use and do the HR have tilt/shift enough. I want a longer focal lens than I can get with a 120  macro lens.

Kind regards

McRepsej

hi, i just sent you a PM. cheers paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Dave Carter

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:14:47 am »

HI,
I would be interested in your experience using the 120mm for macro.  Also in anything Paul said relevant to taking 120mm macro shots using Alpa frame and Leaf 75 back.  I have not used either of the 180's but would sure be open to the longer working distance.  But, I am not sure I want to give up any more DOF.
Thanks,
Dave

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 02:27:32 pm »

I also use a cambo 23 ultima, im not sure you can use a 180 and with the bellows extension you will need for macro....

mcrepsej

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:30:58 pm »

Quote from: klane
I also use a cambo 23 ultima, im not sure you can use a 180 and with the bellows extension you will need for macro....

Hi Klane.

I knew the problem. I saw it from the first day I did get the Cambo. Cambo had told me that it's possible to make a XL bellow. Allso with a Nikon mount if I want that when I use my D3x on the Cambo. I just have to inform how long.

Regards

McRepsej

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:49:52 am »

Hi.

Kind regards

McRepsej

Hi. My work is product and jewelry photography mostly.
Recently I got hold of a new EOS 5D MKII. I started doing some tests right away and found out two important things.
First, with this higher resolution camera the diffraction of the lens past f/16 is almost non acceptable.
Second, not all lenses behave the same(ok, we all know that). But the thing here is that among the lenses that I own (50 macro, 100 macro, 90 ts-e) the 50mm Macro 2.5 which is the oldest of all and not design for digital is the one that is sharpest and that require less sharpening.
This give me the idea that “maybe” the Rodenstock Macro 180mm f/5.6 Apo-Macro-Sironar Lens, which is not digital either, could do the job for us in this field.
Have any of you tried this combination?
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

mcrepsej

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 01:27:53 pm »

Quote from: ACH DIGITAL
Hi. My work is product and jewelry photography mostly.
Recently I got hold of a new EOS 5D MKII. I started doing some tests right away and found out two important things.
First, with this higher resolution camera the diffraction of the lens past f/16 is almost non acceptable.
Second, not all lenses behave the same(ok, we all know that). But the thing here is that among the lenses that I own (50 macro, 100 macro, 90 ts-e) the 50mm Macro 2.5 which is the oldest of all and not design for digital is the one that is sharpest and that require less sharpening.
This give me the idea that “maybe” the Rodenstock Macro 180mm f/5.6 Apo-Macro-Sironar Lens, which is not digital either, could do the job for us in this field.
Have any of you tried this combination?

Hi ACH Digital.
Interesting that the Canon 50 macro still is sharp on a EOS 5D MKII.
Regarding Rodenstock Macro 180mm f/5.6 Apo-Macro-Sironar Lens, so I do not think that it can live up to P45+ or Nikon D3x because it certainly is designed for 9 my pixel chips. It is only Schneider Digitar and Rodenstock HR optician that is designed for 6 my pixel chips (40 MB and higher), as I understand it.
I have a Rodenstock Macro 120mm f/5.6 Apo-Macro-Sironar Lens and it was sharp on my PhaseOne H20 and Nikon D3, but I can not use it on Nikon D3x and PhaseOne P45+. It was otherwise the same with a 240 Rodenstock Apo Ronar and other large format lenses. They don't work on D3x or P45+.

Regards

McRepsej
Denmark
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:59:00 am by mcrepsej »

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 09:16:41 am »

Hi ACH Digital.
Interesting that the Canon 50 macro still is sharp on a EOS 5D MKII.
Regarding Rodenstock Macro 180mm f/5.6 Apo-Macro-Sironar Lens, so I do not think that it can live up to P45+ or Nikon D3x because it certainly is designed for 9 my pixel chips. It is only Schneider Digitar and Rodenstock HR optician that is designed for 6 my pixel chips (40 MB and higher), as I understand it.
I have a Rodenstock Macro 120mm f/5.6 Apo-Macro-Sironar Lens and it was sharp on my PhaseOne H20 and Nikon D3, but I can not use it on Nikon D3x and PhaseOne P45+. It was otherwise the same with a 240 Rodenstock Apo Ronar and other large format lenses. They don't work on D3x or P45+.

Regards

McRepsej
Denmark

Thanks for the information. It's illustrating now that you have the experience. I'm planning to get into the Cambo X2 for my 5D MII and this info is really valuable. Thanks.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Expirience with Schnieder/Rodenstock 180/5.6 Digitar/HR
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 11:01:53 pm »

So what's the deal with lens making these days? How does the older 50 macro work sharper than newer "Digital" friendly ones that are supposed to have more resolving power on a 5Dmk2? (personally, I have more concern with the AA than the lens at a certain point, no?).

If using a P25 db, would a older Roden  MC 210 Macro do better than a Schneider 180 HM, or a 180 HR, digital, etc?

Well this said, first, one has to take into consideration the magnification, right?  OK, so lets say it is in the range of 1:1 to 3:1, and 2:1 being the norm considering rings being a standard in this subject matter: to fill a P25 with managable DOF (to an extent, not so critical). 120 maybe better for larger subjects.

So, now with a more narrow parameter, can we see true differences in the line up, say up to 16, as in my experience, 22 on these get a little fuzzy....or the extreme max.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

nazdravanul

• Stefan Iacob - visual artist
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 08:37:32 am »

I'm also very interested in experiences of users working with the 180 Rodie Apo Sironar Digital / 180 SK Digitar, precisely for the same kind of work. I would like to know, if possible, how are the 2 lenses near the image circle border, and on 80 mp sensors, if anyone can share ... :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:58:54 am by nazdravanul »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 09:55:50 am »

I use a 180 Apo Digitar on a Cambo ultima23. I dont do much jewelry and use the lens mostly in the field with a Leaf Aptus12R. I have a rail extension that I use with this lens. The standard bellows are plenty long enough for macro work

The lens is very sharp with around f11 to 16 the sweet spot from my experience. This does not allow much DOF with such a long lens but movements take care of that issue for my needs.

The lens does not get a lot of use, I tend more to standard lenses out of studio, but when shooting in studio it is my go to lens. Of all my lenses it requires the use of a cal file the least and offers a lot of potential for shifts but then the longer lenses usually do. I dont use massive tilts and shifts and so cannot speak with much authority regards performance on the edge of the imaging circle. I have used the lens for stitching using back shift and it coped very well with that.

If I lost the lens I would buy it again

Hope that the above meagre, subjective and unscientific info is of some use.   
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

nazdravanul

• Stefan Iacob - visual artist
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 11:29:18 am »

I use a 180 Apo Digitar on a Cambo ultima23. I dont do much jewelry and use the lens mostly in the field with a Leaf Aptus12R. I have a rail extension that I use with this lens. The standard bellows are plenty long enough for macro work

The lens is very sharp with around f11 to 16 the sweet spot from my experience. This does not allow much DOF with such a long lens but movements take care of that issue for my needs.

The lens does not get a lot of use, I tend more to standard lenses out of studio, but when shooting in studio it is my go to lens. Of all my lenses it requires the use of a cal file the least and offers a lot of potential for shifts but then the longer lenses usually do. I dont use massive tilts and shifts and so cannot speak with much authority regards performance on the edge of the imaging circle. I have used the lens for stitching using back shift and it coped very well with that.

If I lost the lens I would buy it again

Hope that the above meagre, subjective and unscientific info is of some use.   

Thank you, a very useful reply ! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up