Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinaron S Lens question regarding APO  (Read 6570 times)

Rudy Torres

Sinaron S Lens question regarding APO
« on: April 15, 2009, 03:54:29 am »

I know this is more a LF question but there are many LF users on this forum so I'm posting this question here.
Are all Sinaron S lenses APO. The lens I just got does not have APO on the barrel.
I'm not familiar with Sinar's history with regards to marketing these re-branded Rodenstock lenses.
Hope you all can help. Thanks

- Rudy

brianc1959

• http://
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:12:10 pm »

Quote from: Rudy Torres
I know this is more a LF question but there are many LF users on this forum so I'm posting this question here.
Are all Sinaron S lenses APO. The lens I just got does not have APO on the barrel.
I'm not familiar with Sinar's history with regards to marketing these re-branded Rodenstock lenses.
Hope you all can help. Thanks

- Rudy

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but according to Rodenstock's published chromatic aberration data *none* of their large/medium format lenses are apochromats, with the possible exception of the longer focal length HR lenses.  The Apo Sironar S and Apo Sironar N series in particular are clearly achromats with two crossings, and not apochromats with three.

Sheldon N

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:12:09 pm »

All Sinaron S lenses are equivalent to the Rodenstock APO Sironar N lenses. The earlier Rodenstock Sironar-N and Sironar lenses are also pretty much the same thing, as is the Caltar II-N. There was not really much change as the lenses progressed, possibly just better coatings on the newer lenses. The white stripe on the barrel is only found on newer versions of the lens.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Rudy Torres

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:25:27 pm »

How my wondering came about was after buying a Sinaron S Lens on Ebay. It was listed as an APO lens. There was only one picture so I could not see the letters on the other side of the barrel. When I asked the Ebay member about the APO issue his response made reference to all Sinaron S lenses being rebranded Rodenstock Siranon N APO's. Now, the lens was already in my hands and the letters APO were not to be found on the barrel. The letters MC were there for multi coating. So why would Sinar not use an APO designate on the lens? Anyway, this is why I'm questioning the APO listing claimed on the Ebay member's auction. Don't get me wrong. I don't think he is trying to deceive. He's just going off the same knowledge that Sheldon mentioned.

- Rudy

Sheldon N

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 02:19:31 am »

Rodenstock added the "APO" designation to their own Sironar N lenses without changing the design/manufacture of the lens, so having the APO designation on the lens is just marketing and not an indication of optical properties.

I've owned both Rodenstock APO Sironar-S and Sinaron SE lenses, and they were identical (despite the lack of the APO designation on the Sinar lens). Similarly the Sinaron S lens and APO Sironar N lenses are identical.

You won't find the APO designation printed on Sinar branded lenses, they chose not to adopt Rodenstock's naming convention on the Sinaron line. However, they are all just as "APO" as the Rodenstock lenses labeled with the APO designation.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

ThierryH

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:25:43 pm »

Dear Rudy,

I confirm Sheldon's information concerning the Rodenstock/Sinaron N or S serie of lenses.

Best regards,
Thierry
Pages: [1]   Go Up