Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing on to sheer fabric  (Read 3544 times)

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Printing on to sheer fabric
« on: April 14, 2009, 08:19:29 pm »

I would like to thank those who offered advice and suggestions some time ago to help me with my my idea to print on to sheer fabric. The fabric is now being exhibited in my current exhibition.

I collaged family photographs and grouped them into age groups across 4 generations to examine similarities and differences in these different age groups over 100 years. It was fascinating to see similarities in not only physical characteristics , but stance, mannerisms and interests undertaken across the generations.

I wanted to create the feeling of looking from a lounge room into the street and looking from the street into the private space of the home. The fine Georgette worked wonderfully. I chose to only print in greyscale to support the feeling of history and memory. The images are seen equally well when viewed from both sides.

Here are some happy snaps of the gallery installation of my exhibition. Wide angle lens has created heaps of distortion, but you will get the idea. More images can be seen Exhibition pics

[attachment=13039:QCP_gall...rtains_1.jpg]
[attachment=13040:QCP_gall...rtains_2.jpg]
[attachment=13041:QCP_gall...rtains_3.jpg]

For those interested in the images for my exhibition - Julie's exhiibition - Hindsight

Thanks once again,
Julie
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:21:39 pm by jule »

pulley

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:40:18 am »

Very nice! Printing in greyscale was the right choice.

sfblue

• http://
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 07:01:29 pm »

Julie, the photos of the exhibit look great.    I just went back and read the original thread.    What fabric did you end up using?   Any comments or advice to others after having gone through the process?   I'm just going through the Jacquard and Fisher textiles websites and I'm wondering what you used.  

Thanks,

Daniel

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:10:18 pm »

Quote from: sfblue
Julie, the photos of the exhibit look great.    I just went back and read the original thread.    What fabric did you end up using?   Any comments or advice to others after having gone through the process?   I'm just going through the Jacquard and Fisher textiles websites and I'm wondering what you used.  

Thanks,

Daniel
Thanks Daniel. I ended up using a 10mm Crepe Georgette. It is firmly adhered to a paper backing which fed through the printer quite well, BUT, because my lengths were 3meters, by about 2.5 meters fine crinkles, puckers, creases? started to appear and I aborted 2 runs because I didn't want to have any head strikes. It actually aborted itself once when a little crinkle about 1mm high developed. I think it is because of the suction and the feeding action combined with the not really stiff paper backing and slight skew because of how it feeds out and irregular tension on roll.

The important thing I found was to keep the length feeding out straight - which meant I had to gently keep the slightest tension on the length as each mm feed advancement was made. Quite arduous actually. It skewed when just left to stack beneath the machine. (Epson 9800)

I was pretty concerned that I may not get the 5 drops I wanted to print, but fortunately with careful and diligent feeding out of the fabric after it was printed, I managed to get them.

I also chose the Crepe Georgette because it didn't crush as much as the silks. I didn't want to have to iron my drops in the gallery, and I didn't want them to look like they had just come out of the bottom of a rucksack. I actually left the paper backing on until installation time just to keep them pristine, but the sample I had which I carried around for some time, became crushed a bit, but wasn't too bad. Any crinkles which happened when we installed in the gallery just seemed to go away after a few hours which was great.

..so..advice...don't print as long as 3m with really fine fabrics unless you have heaps of extra rolls in case of duds.
and.. be committed to helping feed out long length so it doesn't skew. ...and ...be mindful of whether the fabric crushes in transit.

Julie

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 05:34:22 am »

Nice result, thks for sharing!

sfblue

• http://
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 06:59:04 pm »

Hi Julie,   did you order the Crepe Georgette from inkjetarts?  If so, did you order the fabrisign version?

Separately, how did you do the layout?    Was it a composite on photoshop or did you use another program?    Does anyone have suggestions for layout software of multiple images and writing?

Thanks,

Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up