Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO and Lightroom  (Read 5326 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
DxO and Lightroom
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:40:39 am »

Hi,

I have been interested in DxO for a long time downloaded and tested several versions but never been entirely happy. I have some questions:

1) DNG compatibility. DxO doesn't seem to be able to open my DNGs.
2) DxO can create DNGs, are they demosaiced or not? The whole idea with RAW/DNG is that the image should be untouched
3) What workflow solutions are possible?

I'm also very much interested in general experience with DxO, who it works, color handling, detail extraction and so on.

A final thought:

Adobe Lightroom is a very good ecosystem for image management, especially now that we have DNG-profiles. It would be very nice if we could use alternate raw-processors, like DxO. As far as I can see DxO may give a small edge in sharpness, correction of lens distortion possibly better colors and less noise.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

NikosR

• http://
DxO and Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 01:42:57 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

I have been interested in DxO for a long time downloaded and tested several versions but never been entirely happy. I have some questions:

1) DNG compatibility. DxO doesn't seem to be able to open my DNGs.
2) DxO can create DNGs, are they demosaiced or not? The whole idea with RAW/DNG is that the image should be untouched
3) What workflow solutions are possible?

1. Correct
2. Demosaiced linear DNG's
3. Supposing you are talking about LR - DxO integration with DxO doing the raw conversion, check this: http://www.dxo.com/uk/photo/dxo_optics_pro...dobe_lightroom2
There is a link in there to an informative pdf.

In short:

a. Convert in DxO to linear DNG then import that in LR
b. Call DxO from LR as an external editor. DxO 'tricks' LR and accesses the raw file rather than using the TIFF delivered by LR. DxO then returns a TIFF (or demosaiced DNG, I think). Some limitations apply.
c. Open a raw file by accessing the LR library from the DxO UI. Some limitations apply (plus a few bugs..). You can then output the converted TIFF or linear DNG to a LR 'watched' folder to automatically import into LR for library management.

Both b. and c. above seem to employ tricks not officially supported by LR so there's no guarantee the process will work with any future LR version although, I suppose, DxO will do their best to make it work.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 01:51:00 am by NikosR »
Nikos
Pages: [1]   Go Up