Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autofocus and recompose::success rate?  (Read 3781 times)

VanKou

• http://www.vankou.com
Autofocus and recompose::success rate?
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:35:07 pm »

Hi...

I am working with a manual focus Hasselblad V and a digital back (528c) system and I do find that focus with apertures wider than f/5.6 is very dicey.  The question for those using auto focus MF systems is whether they find the focus and recompose technique a viable technique for wide apertures.   This works pretty much all the time with 35mm (except if you are shooting at f/1.2 or so) but some practical advise from other folks would be very useful.  I'd like to know if the upgrade to the H system would be worth it from that point of view.
Thanks in advance
Evangelos

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:56:52 am »

works for me w/ my H3 no prob...

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:50:36 am »

Quote from: VanKou
Hi...

I am working with a manual focus Hasselblad V and a digital back (528c) system and I do find that focus with apertures wider than f/5.6 is very dicey.  The question for those using auto focus MF systems is whether they find the focus and recompose technique a viable technique for wide apertures.   This works pretty much all the time with 35mm (except if you are shooting at f/1.2 or so) but some practical advise from other folks would be very useful.  I'd like to know if the upgrade to the H system would be worth it from that point of view.
Thanks in advance
Evangelos

I have the same system and a 85 1.2 on the canon and have the same issues, I shoot at f4 on the Hasselblad a lot , focus and recompose works  and a Beattie intensescreen helps but to be sure its best checked on the computer if possible - really accurate focus makes such a huge difference but publication frequently hides slight focus errors. Its the one area I wish I had auto focus for but then its only a small central area has it anyway on the modern cameras and i seldom am focussing in that area. The DOF is so narrow on the 85 at 1.2 that auto focus is really important at close ( portrait) distances and even then its dicey,

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:31:45 am »

I focus, recompose all the time and it works good for me. H2F with CF backs. I use the 100 quite often also open. I have started using the 210 at close range pretty often as well and use it at 4.0 most of the time. No errors there with focus/recompose. Yes, focus is brutal with these things. Be off just a little and you wish you would have brought your tiny D300  

If only  MF had the AF systems of 35mm equipment, sigh........

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 04:50:51 am »

Quote from: Dustbak
If only  MF had the AF systems of 35mm equipment, sigh........

I have been very disappointed with the auto-focus on mine, but it works better with Metz flash, which has a better focusing red-beam.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1]   Go Up