Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sources of information on tilt and shift photography  (Read 2913 times)

Richard Morwood

Sources of information on tilt and shift photography
« on: April 13, 2009, 05:58:43 pm »

I would appreciate any recommendations on books/reviews/websites dedicated to tilt and shift photography. I am using a Hasselblad H3D 39 and am currently "playing" with the new HTS adapter and this is an area of photography that I am wholly unfamiliar with. I have googled the subject in various guises but haven't had much success in getting readable and interesting information. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Regards
Richard

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:37:36 pm »

Quote from: Richard Morwood
I would appreciate any recommendations on books/reviews/websites dedicated to tilt and shift photography. I am using a Hasselblad H3D 39 and am currently "playing" with the new HTS adapter Richard

I had three Sinars before I bought my H3D11-50, so I suppose I was biased towards "proper" view cameras before I read about the HTS... but if you had inquired about it before buying it...

Having said that, it might be a cost-effective tool for what you want.

The Flexbody was (is) a good cost-effective tool, as it gives (on the 120 Macro-planar at least) useful movements without the cost of additional lenses.

Have you got Harold Merklinger's book "focusing the View camera"? This is the bible.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Richard Morwood

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:44:27 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
I had three Sinars before I bought my H3D11-50, so I suppose I was biased towards "proper" view cameras before I read about the HTS... but if you had inquired about it before buying it...

Having said that, it might be a cost-effective tool for what you want.

The Flexbody was (is) a good cost-effective tool, as it gives (on the 120 Macro-planar at least) useful movements without the cost of additional lenses.

Have you got Harold Merklinger's book "focusing the View camera"? This is the bible.
Hi Dick
I haven't bought the HTS adapter ......yet, but have hired one for the Easter weekend. I haven't been totally clueless as to it's use but I certainly have a whole lot to learn and undoubtedly put into practice again and again and again.....
Thanks for the tip on Harold Merklinger's book I shall look into that.
Regards
Richard

elf

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 01:22:05 am »

Hi Dick
I haven't bought the HTS adapter ......yet, but have hired one for the Easter weekend. I haven't been totally clueless as to it's use but I certainly have a whole lot to learn and undoubtedly put into practice again and again and again.....
Thanks for the tip on Harold Merklinger's book I shall look into that.
Regards
Richard
Link to Merklinger's books: http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 05:50:29 pm »

Hi Dick
I haven't bought the HTS adapter ......yet, but have hired one for the Easter weekend. Regards Richard
The HTS is smaller and lighter than a Sinar, and, if you want something to put in your rucksack in case you wand to photograph some alpine flowers with an mountain in the background, it might be a useful tool
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

archivue

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:37:48 pm »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
The HTS is smaller and lighter than a Sinar, and, if you want something to put in your rucksack in case you wand to photograph some alpine flowers with an mountain in the background, it might be a useful tool

for that use, i will go for an arca Fline 69 metric and digital lenses, but that's a personal preference... the HTS give you a reflex viewfinder...

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 08:17:54 pm »

Richard,

I don't know if you came across these, but if not, maybe you'll get something from them:

The Sheimpflug Principle

Article on L.L. main site

Rgds,

Dale
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:18:35 pm by DFAllyn »

Richard Morwood

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 02:28:12 pm »

Quote from: DFAllyn
Richard,

I don't know if you came across these, but if not, maybe you'll get something from them:

The Sheimpflug Principle

Article on L.L. main site

Rgds,

Dale
Thanks Dick, elf and Dale.  I have now got lots of information to wade through and who knows some of it may stick! Thanks again for your help and advice.
Regards
Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up