Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying to create a darkroom  (Read 5594 times)

sperera

trying to create a darkroom
« on: April 13, 2009, 02:55:49 pm »

hi there...whats the minimum area you need for a darkroom....am trying to create one at home....we have an outside terrace on the first floor leading out from our bedroom where we could create a custom made wooden garden shed type darkroom....so basically id have a table with an enlarger and another table for the developing/fix/wash trays etc.....whats the very minimum????? talk to me in metres Squared please!
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

dalethorn

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:00:09 pm »

Quote from: sperera
hi there...whats the minimum area you need for a darkroom....am trying to create one at home....we have an outside terrace on the first floor leading out from our bedroom where we could create a custom made wooden garden shed type darkroom....so basically id have a table with an enlarger and another table for the developing/fix/wash trays etc.....whats the very minimum????? talk to me in metres Squared please!

I only did black and white, so this may not apply to you.  I used one room (3m x 2m) for film development chores, another room (3m x 4m) for enlargers and printing, and an internal very small bathroom with no windows for extracting the film from the canisters and placing into the development tanks.  You could use a closet for extracting the film, but you want to avoid dust.  You also want to avoid dust in the enlarger area, if that's what you're doing.  The only reason I needed the 3m x 2m room for film developing is because of the accessories I leave around - thermometers, boxes and bottles of chemicals, etc.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:04:22 pm »

Quote from: sperera

A lot depends on what you will be doing. You can work with 35mm in less space than is needed for 4x5, and create 8x10 prints in less space than 16x20. In any event, don't overlook good ventilation!

Peter

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 04:47:23 am »

It might be worth buying the kit first and then deciding how much space you need.  In all honesty - you don't need much - but you are guaranteed to want more after you've built it!  Check out the Nova Darkroom tent for an idea of what can be done.

lightstand

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:36:53 am »

For a minimalist darkroom I would recommend a Jobo system. You would need a drain or a way to dump into a five gallon bucket not as romantic as tray development but very consistent agitation and you can work mostly with the lights on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up