Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cropping  (Read 2837 times)

jim t

• jimtsioles photography
Cropping
« on: April 13, 2009, 02:48:25 pm »

I have a photo that someone wants to be printed 16x20.  When I set it up in photoshop, in order to get the 16x20 I need to crop the image right?  We'll when I do this a lot of the great image is cut out.  I would like to avoid this if possible.

What do you do when this situation comes up.  Should I just put a border around the picture?  Do I still charge for a 16x20 if it has a border, when the acutal image is not 16x20?

Any comments on how you handle these situations would help.

DarkPenguin

Cropping
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:53:03 pm »

Maybe sell them a 16x24 (guessing) instead?

Quote from: jim t
I have a photo that someone wants to be printed 16x20.  When I set it up in photoshop, in order to get the 16x20 I need to crop the image right?  We'll when I do this a lot of the great image is cut out.  I would like to avoid this if possible.

What do you do when this situation comes up.  Should I just put a border around the picture?  Do I still charge for a 16x20 if it has a border, when the acutal image is not 16x20?

dalethorn

Cropping
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:46:40 pm »

Quote from: jim t

Print the best fit you can on 16 x 20, then cut out a matte that masks whatever white borders you have. Insert matte into frame, voila.

Jerry Basierbe

• http://www.jerrybasierbe.com
Cropping
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:37:23 am »

Print it as close to 16x20 as possible. Either go to exactly 16 inches for the short dimension and let the other
dimension go to whatever it will be. Or do the same thing holding 20 inch diomension.
Charge for the 16x20 size.

Jerry

Melodi

• http://
Cropping
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:59:11 am »

Are you sure that the buyer's request for the ratio is set in stone?  I work in IT, and frequently, one has to ask the end user, is that really what you want?  They might not realize what the underlying cost is for what they've requested. i.e. The buyer may lose some important details of the photo and the composition changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up