Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PRINTING TO HP B9180 FROM LR 2.3  (Read 2154 times)

WilliamSC

PRINTING TO HP B9180 FROM LR 2.3
« on: April 12, 2009, 03:39:55 pm »

I’m having printing problems with LR (any release after 1.2) (currently using LR 2.3) and HP B9180 printer. I get a red color cast on all size prints. Skin tones usually have“sunburn” effect. If I export the raw file to CS4, change the working color space from ProPhoto RGB to Adobe RGB, soft proof, set paper profile in print dialog box, rendering to perceptual with black point compensation and print - everything is spot-on.

Is this concern exclusive to LR’s print module? Many Forums seem to suggest this to be true with the B9180 and some Canon printers.

Is the preferred workflow, to avoid the color cast (shift) to export to CS4 to print?

Using XP SP3, calibrated monitor, healthy print heads, current driver (albeit 18 months old HP) etc.

BTW: Either I’ve become to demanding in my old age or does HP not care? After moving onto my fourth B9180 in two years (got to love the extended warranty) my next photo printer will be an Epson; the new 3880 series or better. I thought the $700.00 was a bargain for a supposed quality 13 x 19 photo printer. You pay for what you get . . .

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
William SC
Oak Park, CA
5D, 5D MkII, Lots of L Glass-Prime & Zoom,
Visually Interpret: North America Landscape, People, Historical Architecture
Photographically Document Human Emotion
Print , Mat and Frame
Have Fun!

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:06:35 am »

I do all my printing to my B9180 from LR 2.3. I always let LR do all color management (use the paper profile in LR), newer let the the printer mange color, as that always will make a mess. Get a perfect result every time as long as the printer is OK. I'm on my 3rd. printer now.

I have my profiles that work perfect for me in LR here, that you can try.

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

WilliamSC

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:43:51 am »

Quote from: ronnynil
I do all my printing to my B9180 from LR 2.3. I always let LR do all color management (use the paper profile in LR), newer let the the printer mange color, as that always will make a mess. Get a perfect result every time as long as the printer is OK. I'm on my 3rd. printer now.

I have my profiles that work perfect for me in LR here, that you can try.

Ronny

Hi Ronny,
Thank you very much for your "pearls of wisdom." I'm a bit on the run right now but your website is wonderful. I concur with overall conclusions regarding the printer. Sometimes, I want to push it off the roof of my house and other times, the prints are stunning. I plan to utilze your profiles as I, too, am a big fan of Ilford GFS.

Cheers,
William SC
Oak Park, CA
5D, 5D MkII, Lots of L Glass-Prime & Zoom,
Visually Interpret: North America Landscape, People, Historical Architecture
Photographically Document Human Emotion
Print , Mat and Frame
Have Fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up