Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NIK Plugins for LR  (Read 8069 times)

MDaniels80

NIK Plugins for LR
« on: April 12, 2009, 01:32:45 pm »

Just wondering what people's opinions were on the Nik Plug-ins for LR.  I downloaded trials, but have to say was not thrilled on how it exports to the plugin.  Seems it can only create a tiff, not a psd, so that alone creates huge files.  The tiff is also created beforehand, like the old days on LR where a file was created then brought into PS for editing.  I like the software itself, just not how it functions in LR.  Almost seams easier to get the PS plugin, export from LR to PS and use the plugin there.  Though the price for the entire NIK software is a lot more appealing as a LR plugin than a PS plugin.  Just curions as to what other people think.  Does anyone know if they plan on changin the file type from tiff, to either jpegs or optional psd?
Thanks

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
NIK Plugins for LR
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 03:24:49 pm »

When you buy, you get both Photoshop plugins, and LR external editors. The Photoshop plugin is better, because you can use smart filters, and come back and tweak later. (Note: my experience is with Viveza and Silver Efex Pro only.) Whether you go with the LR editor, or the PS plug-in, you will still end up with another file.

As far as the LR versions feeding a TIFF file back, that is a limitation of LR, not the NIK software. Not sure why anyone would want a JPG, though.

howardm

NIK Plugins for LR
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 04:49:30 pm »

I just think it's robbery that the LR plugin set is $300 but the addition of PS compatible plugins doubles the price to $600

MDaniels80

NIK Plugins for LR
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:51:11 pm »

If I could use the plug in as  PS then I would be good because I could just export from LR to PS.  But as the complete set, they only offer LR or Aperture plugins for $300.  Or you can get the LR, Aperture, & PS complete set for $600.  First off, if you're using LR or Aperture, you're likely not using the other.  And if you just want PS, you getting the other two plugins even if you dont want to and have to spend twice as much.  Unfortunately the $600 is out of my budget and it comes down to the tiffs in LR plugin- I just dont like them because of their file sizes.  Oh well....

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
NIK Plugins for LR
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:28:36 pm »

To me, the weakness is that in actuality, you are creating a TIFF that, rather than being imported into Photoshop is simply working on that image directly. I'd love it if it somehow created a layer that worked on the RAW that would then be part of the RAW formula. For me, it's a bit of a waste. I always work on images further in PS anyway, so I might as well use the PS plugin.

JDClements

NIK Plugins for LR
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 08:47:30 am »

Quote from: nemophoto
To me, the weakness is that in actuality, you are creating a TIFF that, rather than being imported into Photoshop is simply working on that image directly. I'd love it if it somehow created a layer that worked on the RAW that would then be part of the RAW formula. For me, it's a bit of a waste. I always work on images further in PS anyway, so I might as well use the PS plugin.
You use it as a SMART FILTERS. It is NON-DESTRUCTIVE editing.

JDClements

NIK Plugins for LR
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 08:50:30 am »

Quote from: howardm
I just think it's robbery that the LR plugin set is $300 but the addition of PS compatible plugins doubles the price to $600
That's an interesting definition of robbery. Did you consider you are looking at it backwards? The Photoshop plugin costs a certain amount, and if you purchase that, you get the LR version for no charge. But if you do not own Photoshop (not everyone does), and do not want to own or use Photoshop, they offer a lesser version for a lesser price. That's hardly "robbery."

James R

NIK Plugins for LR
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 03:51:03 am »

I have many of their plug-ins and they were upgraded free to include the LR plug-in.

howardm

NIK Plugins for LR
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 08:30:52 am »

I may be looking at it backwards but what if I dont want the LR/Ap plugins?  I've now paid a chunk to get them because they are included in the collection.  The thing that is annoying is that it's the exact same 'code base' but the LR/Ap 'plugin' (and lets be honest, it's not a plug-in but rather an external editor) has been wrapped in some additional code to be a standalone application whereas the PS is just the stripped plugin.  

You could ponder whether it would be possible to write out  a TIFF from PS and then invoke the LR/Ap plugin by some method to achieve the same thing.

Also, for me personally, I have my photo's on a NAS (network attached storage) and for some @$^&#%^ reason, the whole LR->external edit-> LR loop doesn't work (PS complains that OSX has the file locked and can't write out the results so that LR can then continue).  And, most of the time, if I'm going to bend pixels to the degree that most plugin's do, then I think I'd rather have the addiitonal horsepower/capabilities of PS and not necessarily be limited to LR2's capabilities.  Maybe LR3+ will make me move farther away but that is what it is now.  The LR plugin thing is too slow and clumsy.  They need a real plugin solution, not a wrapper for external applications.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
NIK Plugins for LR
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 05:23:45 pm »

If you want to save space, you CAN convert the TIFF to DNG after making your adjustments.

I'm test-driving Silver Efex Pro right now, and I'm not yet convinced.  While the options available are nice, the price tag seems a bit high.  We'll see if I change my mind after the trial expires...

JDClements

NIK Plugins for LR
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 07:54:58 pm »

I may be looking at it backwards but what if I dont want the LR/Ap plugins?  I've now paid a chunk to get them because they are included in the collection.
No, you haven't, because they are included at no additional charge. That's the point.

JDClements

NIK Plugins for LR
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 08:03:29 pm »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
I'm test-driving Silver Efex Pro right now, and I'm not yet convinced.  While the options available are nice, the price tag seems a bit high.
I thought it a little expensive, too. But the thing that convinced me was the U-point controls, which is basically a powerful masking tool. (That, and one-third off.)

Once I realized what U-point could do, I saw it like most other photographic equipment: the best (usually) costs the most.

GregW

• http://
NIK Plugins for LR
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 08:11:53 am »

Veering slightly off-topic. It's possible to use Capture NX as an external editor in LR. For many people it will be a low cost route in to U Point technology and some Nikon specific Lens adjustments. Recent Nikon DSLRs shipped with a complimentary copy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up