Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: suggestions for the Dolomites in July?  (Read 6740 times)

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
suggestions for the Dolomites in July?
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:24:18 am »

I'm planning on a week or so in the Dolomite mountains (northern Italy, near the Austrian/Swiss border) at the beginning of July.  I'm reading various things to figure out where to stay and where to go for the best day hiking, but would like suggestions from photogs here who are familiar with the region about what particular places are best for photographing the most dramatic mountains & valleys.  I carry my camera with me on day hikes, so I'm particularly interested in day hikes with great photographic opportunities; roadside areas with great photo opportunities are also welcome.

Tentatively (based on what I've read so far) I'm thinking about staying about half the time in Cortina d'Ampezzo and about half the time in Selva/Wolkenstein, but will have a car to drive to other areas.  Does that make sense, or are there any better places to stay that are closer to other good areas?  I've already found a couple of tourism web sites for the area (www.dolomiti.org, www.dolomiti.it, www.suedtirol.info).

I will probably fly into Munich/Munchen (because I can get nonstop flights there), rent a car, and drive to the Dolomites.  I'm happy to hear about anything interesting I should do along the way.

Any other general travel suggestions for the region are also welcome.   I've been both to the Swiss Alps and to other regions of Italy several times before, so I expect the area will not feel particularly strange or unfamiliar to me.

Thanks,
Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

GregW

• http://
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 01:20:16 pm »

We have visited this area few times since 2007, not for photography but for cycling, driving and skiing. We will be there around the 12th of July for the annual Sella Ronda bike ride; something we have done for the last couple of years. If you are going to be in the area on the 12th, be aware many of the roads will be closed.

We like to base ourselves in Corvara. It's a great location offering great access to the whole region, while being just a bit quieter than many of the better known towns. We have stayed at the Hotel Colalto on a number of occasions now, and it's always been very good.

We have never gone with photography in mind, but there are many great opportunities, particularly in the Natural Parks. These can be easily accessed on a mountain bike, or you can simply drive through them. In particular the  Parco Naturale Puez-Odle has many beautiful spots.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 01:21:07 pm by GregW »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:12:05 pm »

Hi!

I have a couple of favorite places in the Dolomites, one is something like half an hour by car from Cortina, and is called Drei Zinnen or Tre Cime de Laverado. Drive to the north past lake Missurina and take toll road to the right after passing the lake. Toll road takes you to Zsigmundy Hütte (a hotel) from  there you can walk around the Drei Zinnen passing the Pattern Sattel at around 2400 m. A couple of hundred meters after the Paterno Sattel you have a magnificent view of the Drei Zinnen.

[attachment=13045:20090208...n2002_03.jpg]

You may also check this page (I might update it with some more images pretty soon)

http://www.pbase.com/ekr/dolomites_2008

I have spent much time in the Dolomites but mostly in the north eastern part (Dolomiti di Sesto), the most recent years I spent in the esatern part, based in Welschnofen/Nova Levante. I'm going to publish more pictures within a couple of days. My present plan is to go to Welschnofen again end of May this year.

In the western part (Dolomiti di Sesto/Pusteria) I would recommend Fichleintahlbach, Drei Zinnen, Innichen/San Candido, Pragser See.

In the eastern part (Bolzano, etc) I would recommend Sella Pass which passes close by to Marmolada and Rosengarten and Karer See.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: nniko
I'm planning on a week or so in the Dolomite mountains (northern Italy, near the Austrian/Swiss border) at the beginning of July.  I'm reading various things to figure out where to stay and where to go for the best day hiking, but would like suggestions from photogs here who are familiar with the region about what particular places are best for photographing the most dramatic mountains & valleys.  I carry my camera with me on day hikes, so I'm particularly interested in day hikes with great photographic opportunities; roadside areas with great photo opportunities are also welcome.

Tentatively (based on what I've read so far) I'm thinking about staying about half the time in Cortina d'Ampezzo and about half the time in Selva/Wolkenstein, but will have a car to drive to other areas.  Does that make sense, or are there any better places to stay that are closer to other good areas?  I've already found a couple of tourism web sites for the area (www.dolomiti.org, www.dolomiti.it, www.suedtirol.info).

I will probably fly into Munich/Munchen (because I can get nonstop flights there), rent a car, and drive to the Dolomites.  I'm happy to hear about anything interesting I should do along the way.

Any other general travel suggestions for the region are also welcome.   I've been both to the Swiss Alps and to other regions of Italy several times before, so I expect the area will not feel particularly strange or unfamiliar to me.

Thanks,
Lisa
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 02:28:43 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 02:17:04 pm »

Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Lisa......... the previous poster makes a good suggestion for Corvara check this link: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&...ge&resnum=1

The areas Eric mentions are excellent.

I did a trip through the Dolomites for 8 days by car a few years ago with another photographer friend. We started on the SS242 highway off of the main A22 (E45)
also coming from Munich. Our first stop was Ortisei and spent part of the day walking the Alpi di Suisi http://www.seiser-alm.it/en/ It's the largest alpine meadow in Europe. From there continue through Val Gardena and Selva di Val Gardena. Our final destination was Cortina Di Ampezzo with many mountain passes in between.
Very spectacular trip. You just loosely map out the route to Cortina from Ortisei going over some spectacular mountain passes. The area around Cortina is beautiful.
That was our final destination and we spent about 3 days exploring the area. Do your homework on the Cortina area.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 02:28:00 pm by Wolfman »

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 02:49:44 am »

Quote from: Wolfman
Hi Lisa......... the previous poster makes a good suggestion for Corvara check this link: http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&...ge&resnum=1

The areas Eric mentions are excellent.

I did a trip through the Dolomites for 8 days by car a few years ago with another photographer friend. We started on the SS242 highway off of the main A22 (E45)
also coming from Munich. Our first stop was Ortisei and spent part of the day walking the Alpi di Suisi http://www.seiser-alm.it/en/ It's the largest alpine meadow in Europe. From there continue through Val Gardena and Selva di Val Gardena. Our final destination was Cortina Di Ampezzo with many mountain passes in between.
Very spectacular trip. You just loosely map out the route to Cortina from Ortisei going over some spectacular mountain passes. The area around Cortina is beautiful.
That was our final destination and we spent about 3 days exploring the area. Do your homework on the Cortina area.

A capsule of highlights would be :" You can plan several beautiful drives from Cortina, depending on how many days you're there.

If you only have time for one tour, the one not to miss is the spectacular 'SELLA RONDA' tour. You need a clear day for this, of course - check the forecast.

The route is:

Cortina - Falzarego Pass/ Lagazuoi* - Valparola Pass - San Cassiano - Corvara -
- Colfosco - Gardena Pass - Selva Gardena.

From Selva (- backtrack to) - Sella Pass - Canazei - (- backtrack to) - Pordoi Pass/ Sass Pordoi* - Arabba - Falzarego Pass - Cortina

If the lifts are open, don't miss Lagazuoi (- Falzarego Pass) and/or Sass Pordoi (- Pordoi Pass) for breathtaking views. There are restaurants at the top of both.

On this route, San Cassiano, Colfosco, Selva Gardena and Canazei all make attractive stopping points. There are hiking/photo opportunities throughout the circuit - so this could be a half-day or a full-day tour.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 02:50:56 am by Wolfman »

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:00:54 pm »

I was starting to despair for awhile that noone here at LL had been there, and suddenly all sorts of great replys show up!  Thanks very much.  There's much great info there for me to study.

Greg, thanks for the warning about the Sella Ronda bike ride on July 12; my tentative schedule is to fly home on the 12th, so we'll be driving to an airport somewhere the day before and be well out of the way.  But in case the schedule slips a day, I'm now warned.    The Puez-Odle park web site looks great - I'll look at it in more detail tonight.  That looks like a very scenic area (and easy to explore from Selva).

Erik, that's a great photo of Drei Zinnen.  We'll definitely have to go there.  Your other photos include some wonderful ones too.  I especially like the one on the first page, 2nd in the 2nd row, called "20080528DSC01945".  It looks like it's approaching a pass; where is it???

Wolfman, I'll look up all your suggestions on my map when I get home tonight (I have a Michelin northern Italy road map and several hiking topo maps covering the potentially useful areas).  We'll have about a week there, so we should have plenty of time for hiking and exploration.  Just one question - I've seen guidebook recommendations for Alpe di Siusi elsewhere, but the views I've seen in photos from there don't look all that interesting to me compared with either high-elevation (mountaintop) views into the distance or in-the-deep-valleys-looking-up-at-the-peaks views elsewhere in the Dolomites.  Is it really worth a day, or would our time be spent better elsewhere?

I've seen a few very interesting-looking photos from the Pale di San Martino, a little to the south of the regions most of you are talking about; have any of you been there?

Thank you all so much,
Lisa

[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 01:42:12 pm »

I was starting to despair for awhile that noone here at LL had been there, and suddenly all sorts of great replys show up!  Thanks very much.  There's much great info there for me to study.

Greg, thanks for the warning about the Sella Ronda bike ride on July 12; my tentative schedule is to fly home on the 12th, so we'll be driving to an airport somewhere the day before and be well out of the way.  But in case the schedule slips a day, I'm now warned.    The Puez-Odle park web site looks great - I'll look at it in more detail tonight.  That looks like a very scenic area (and easy to explore from Selva).

Erik, that's a great photo of Drei Zinnen.  We'll definitely have to go there.  Your other photos include some wonderful ones too.  I especially like the one on the first page, 2nd in the 2nd row, called "20080528DSC01945".  It looks like it's approaching a pass; where is it???

Wolfman, I'll look up all your suggestions on my map when I get home tonight (I have a Michelin northern Italy road map and several hiking topo maps covering the potentially useful areas).  We'll have about a week there, so we should have plenty of time for hiking and exploration.  Just one question - I've seen guidebook recommendations for Alpe di Siusi elsewhere, but the views I've seen in photos from there don't look all that interesting to me compared with either high-elevation (mountaintop) views into the distance or in-the-deep-valleys-looking-up-at-the-peaks views elsewhere in the Dolomites.  Is it really worth a day, or would our time be spent better elsewhere?

I've seen a few very interesting-looking photos from the Pale di San Martino, a little to the south of the regions most of you are talking about; have any of you been there?

Thank you all so much,
Lisa

If time is a factor I would say skip Alpe di Siusi for more dramatic destinations.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 01:26:40 am »

Lisa,

20080528DSC01945, is that the one with the bicyclist in the foreground? That's from the Sella Pass, just before passing very close to the Sella Pass. I'll try to post some more info in a couple of days. That place is very close to the Rosengarten Spitze, you feel like could you touch it!

Best regards
Erik

Thank you all so much,
Lisa
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 02:29:10 am »

Hi,

Here are some images from the "Dolomiti di Sesto", the nort-eastern part of the Dolomites. The pictures were taken in my "film days" around Innichen/SanCandido.

http://www.pbase.com/ekr/dolomiti_di_sesto

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:28:19 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 11:21:57 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

Here are some images from the "Dolomiti di Sesto", the nort-eastern part of the Dolomites. The pictures were taken in my "film days" around Innichen/SanCandido.

http://www.pbase.com/ekr/dolomiti_di_sesto

Best regards
Erik

I'm going to be spending a week in the Dolomites mid September this year.  Last time I was there was 20 years ago.
I want to thank everyone who is adding information and images to this thread, it is very helpful to me in planning my upcoming trip.

Ken

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 02:17:57 pm »

Hi,

Here are some pics from my most recent trip to the Dolomites. I'll try to fill in with some more info in a couple of days.

http://www.pbase.com/ekr/dolomites_2009

In general:

First day from Cortina to Nova Levante trough the Giao and Fedeia passes.
Later trips to Giao pass and Sella Pass
Visit Carer See / Lago Carezza
Trip to St. Pauls to buy some wine
Last day a short trip to Passo Negro.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks,
Lisa
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:21:34 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up