Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens for travel to Italy  (Read 7007 times)

lalithaparam

Lens for travel to Italy
« on: April 11, 2009, 06:05:24 pm »

I am going to travel to Italy in July with my wife and three kids.  They are supportive of my photography (specially if include them in pictures).  I am struggling to make my choices of lens.  I own a 5d mark II.  I have the 16-35mm (which I am not very happy with on the 5d II), 50 mm f1.4,  24-70 f2.8, 85 f1.2, 135 F2.0 and the 70-200.  I am debating between carrying everything versus taking a couple.  I am also trying to figure out my best wide lens options.  I am thinking if I should buy the nikon 14-24 and use an adaptor.
Any advice from forum members who have done this before will be appreciated.
Also any advice on the nikon wide angle option.

param.

stever

Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 06:16:35 pm »

for Italy, i'd try to travel light and unobtrusively - tourist season in major Euopean travel destinations really concentrates the theives and pickpockets.  the owner of lensrentals.com says he's lost more lenses in Rome than anywhere else and will rent lenses to most any other destination in the world except most of Europe.  had a couple punks try to take my camera on a subway in Barcelona a few years ago - they regularly worked a particular part of the line.

lalithaparam

Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 06:31:28 pm »

Quote from: stever
for Italy, i'd try to travel light and unobtrusively - tourist season in major Euopean travel destinations really concentrates the theives and pickpockets.  the owner of lensrentals.com says he's lost more lenses in Rome than anywhere else and will rent lenses to most any other destination in the world except most of Europe.  had a couple punks try to take my camera on a subway in Barcelona a few years ago - they regularly worked a particular part of the line.

I plan on only using cabs.  I have travelled to Spain in July 2 years ago and luckily was not hindered by thieves or pickpockets.  
With 3 kids I know I will have to travel light and that is why I am trying out to figure out the best think to do so that I dont compromise my photography.  Any thoughts on lens choices.

Param

sesshin

• http://
Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 07:28:44 pm »

I would say a good combination for Italy would be an ultra-wide for tight streets with big views, a normal-ish prime for shooting inside low-light cathedrals, and a mid-range zoom for everything else. So from what you have right now the 16-35 plus the 50 1.4 and the 24-70. If you want to step that up the 14-24 is obviously a better quality lens than the 16-35 and personally I would choose the 35L over the 50 1.4, but that's just me. You also might want to consider the 24-105 IS over the 24-70 since it is a little easier to travel with and gives you more reach.

lalithaparam

Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 07:34:37 pm »

Quote from: sesshin
I would say a good combination for Italy would be an ultra-wide for tight streets with big views, a normal-ish prime for shooting inside low-light cathedrals, and a mid-range zoom for everything else. So from what you have right now the 16-35 plus the 50 1.4 and the 24-70. If you want to step that up the 14-24 is obviously a better quality lens than the 16-35 and personally I would choose the 35L over the 50 1.4, but that's just me. You also might want to consider the 24-105 IS over the 24-70 since it is a little easier to travel with and gives you more reach.

I have read some people suggest taking the 70-200 mm for more reach.
Does anyone own the nikon 14024, how easy is to focus manually.

sesshin

• http://
Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 09:24:06 pm »

truthfully when i was in Italy the past two times I never needed a focal length longer than 100mm or 135mm, so the 70-200 would have been overkill in my case. ymmv though.

marcmccalmont

Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 02:04:18 am »

If you were starting from scratch I would take a 24-105IS because of the IS and a 70-200 f4 because of the smaller size and weight. For wider scenes I would stitch
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 02:14:06 am »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
If you were starting from scratch I would take a 24-105IS because of the IS and a 70-200 f4 because of the smaller size and weight. For wider scenes I would stitch
Marc

These are also my prefered lenses walking around in cities. Anything more is uncomfortable "schlepping" it around the whole day - saluti from Italia!

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 05:12:55 am »

I would second the 24-105mm IS f4. It is probably one on the most versitile lens around. It is also quite sharp especially at the wide end. If you are looking for an all purpose walk around  zoom. This is the one.

Quote from: sesshin

lalithaparam

Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:08:16 am »

Quote from: DaveDn
I would second the 24-105mm IS f4. It is probably one on the most versitile lens around. It is also quite sharp especially at the wide end. If you are looking for an all purpose walk around  zoom. This is the one.

Since I have the 24-70 buying the 24-105 IS is going to be tough to justify.
Looks like not many people are using the nikon 14-24 with an adaptor.  I would love to hear from somebody who has used it that way.

Param.

francois

Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 11:06:54 am »

Marc
That would be my choice too. But, as lalithaparam, I own a 24-70... The 70-200 f/4 IS was heavily used during my last two trips to Italy. I barely used my 17-40, even in the narrow medieval streets.
Francois

stever

Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 11:31:07 am »

on a trip to southeastern europe last year i used 5D with Sigma 12-24, 24-105, and 70-300DO.  used the 24-105 about 90% of the time.  the wide angle is essential for cathedral interiors, narrow streets, etc. but the Sigma was really too slow even for the 5D - the 16-35 is a better choice (and i doubt that the cost and trouble of screwing around with 14-24 and converter is worthwile).  i don't see stitching as a reasonable alternative in Italy in the summer - way too many people moving everywhere.  a tele is nice for pulling out architectural details and every now and then when you can't get close enough.  can't recommend the 70-300 based on my experience (but am re-testing next week as it just got back from Canon service).  definitely not worthwhile schlepping a 70-200 2.8.  the 70-200 f4 is a good combination with the 24-70.  With the 24-105 i've started using the 200 2.8 and am really happy with IQ.

stever

Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 12:00:06 pm »

oops, forgot the 50 1.4 - doesn't weigh much or take up space, IQ from f2 on that's worthy of the 5D2 (but 1.4 useable in the dark if you need it), minimal distortion, etc. - goes with me almost everywhere

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 12:23:41 pm »

Quote from: lalithaparam
I am going to travel to Italy in July with my wife and three kids.  They are supportive of my photography (specially if include them in pictures).  I am struggling to make my choices of lens.  I own a 5d mark II.  I have the 16-35mm (which I am not very happy with on the 5d II), 50 mm f1.4,  24-70 f2.8, 85 f1.2, 135 F2.0 and the 70-200.  I am debating between carrying everything versus taking a couple.  I am also trying to figure out my best wide lens options.  I am thinking if I should buy the nikon 14-24 and use an adaptor.

param.

You should heed the warnings of members regarding thieves and pick pockets in Italy, I was born there and unfortunately have to agree with them, wether its Rome, Milan or Venice, be very careful!

If its me, I'd leave the zooms behind, buy a 28mm and take it along with the 50 and the 135, that's all you really need on a typical trip. The 14-24 is a great lens but not something that you'd want to carry around on a family trip like this. Keep it simple and enjoy the time with your family, collect memories instead of fussing, worrying and lugging around too much bulky, valuable equipment that will only get in the way.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

marcmccalmont

Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 12:33:54 pm »

Quote from: francois
That would be my choice too. But, as lalithaparam, I own a 24-70... The 70-200 f/4 IS was heavily used during my last two trips to Italy. I barely used my 17-40, even in the narrow medieval streets.

I sold my 24-70 and bought the 24-105is, I also started with the 70-200 f2.8 and sold it for the f4.0 Never regretting selling either one!
Marc

Another inexpensive option if you can live without the IS would be the Tokina 24-200 ATX full frame lens. good glass and nice reach
[attachment=12959:IMG_2364_DxO_raw.jpg][attachment=12960:IMG_2381_DxO_raw.jpg]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 04:49:57 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

lalithaparam

Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 05:00:48 pm »

Quote from: ddk
You should heed the warnings of members regarding thieves and pick pockets in Italy, I was born there and unfortunately have to agree with them, wether its Rome, Milan or Venice, be very careful!

If its me, I'd leave the zooms behind, buy a 28mm and take it along with the 50 and the 135, that's all you really need on a typical trip. The 14-24 is a great lens but not something that you'd want to carry around on a family trip like this. Keep it simple and enjoy the time with your family, collect memories instead of fussing, worrying and lugging around too much bulky, valuable equipment that will only get in the way.

I will be careful ofcourse.  I agree that the less I carry the more I will enjoy.  I am just trying to make the right choices here.

param.

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 06:02:40 am »

I've been lucky enough to travel to Italy 5 times over the years (most recently in 2007 & 2008) and have taken quite a bit of gear (1Ds MkIII & 5D, 300f4L IS, 70-200f4L IS, 50f1.4, 16-35f2.8L, 1.4EXT etc, etc  - all in a large backpack). In your case I'd take the 16-35 and the 70-200 (specially if the f4) plus something like a G10 for 'snaps'. Anything additional, while no doubt nice, will most likely see little use and have to be lugged around none the less.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:04:00 am by phila »

viswan

Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 02:36:14 am »

I will be careful ofcourse.  I agree that the less I carry the more I will enjoy.  I am just trying to make the right choices here.

param.

A warning, don't be too confident, Param.  Especially in July, the thieves are quite sophisticated, they might distract you or your family, a bunch of kids might surround you and little fingers slit your backpack, they ride by on scooters and grab your gear, etc. etc.  Also, when i went there a year ago, I was scrupulously careful about my debit card/credit card use, and yet..... a month or so after i returned got a call from my bank, - someone in Italy was trying to withdraw $1600 and then $1300 from my account. (we canceled that card immediately! - might be a wise thing to do on your return anyway, cancel it out and get a new number.)  

That said, I really really think you are taking too much gear...... e.g. the 24-105 would really be all you need for 98% of what you might come across.  
Many of my photos are on Facebook and Fl

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 09:49:11 am »

param.

I went through three copies of the 16-35mm when shooting Canon myself. I could never find a sharp copy.  I also had poor luck finding a shar 24-70mm and had to get the latest one calibrated. I have since sold my Canon stuff to go back to Nikon and never looked back! I have never had such sharp glass out of the box then with Nikon. On that note, the 14-24 is to die for! I have not used that lens much but it always wows me when I do use it. The front optic is a big bubble so no filter fits over it. That means it can get dinged up easy if you don't cap it. The cap it a bit cheap and could come off if you aren't careful. I just came back from a Palm Springs trip and was banging it around the narrow halls of the Painted Canons in Mecca and not a ding on it

I have read some people suggest taking the 70-200 mm for more reach.
Does anyone own the nikon 14024, how easy is to focus manually.

Ehhh... The 70-200 will be a bit much I think. Maybe invest in a teleconverter and bring the 24-70mm of yours. Once again, I know many frustrated Canon shooters who gladly ditched their systems when the 14-24mm was introduced... Either that or they are now shooting "bi" with a Nikon and just the 14-24mm..
I can't say anything for Canon to Nikon lens adapters... My guess would be to just go on other sites and see what reviews are on them. My guess would be that just like teleconverters, it will probably soften the image some...

Marc

That would be a nice option. Otherwise, the 24-70mm and a teleconverter may work wonders...

I would be careful with looters so maybe invest in this strap:
The PacSafe Anti-Theft CarrySafe 100 camera strap.
http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room...etail&id=16

It costs $20 only and features are that it is slashproof and snatchproof so you can ensure that no one will try to cut your strap and then grab and go...

lalithaparam

Lens for travel to Italy
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 06:43:57 pm »

Quote from: MichaelAlanBielat
I went through three copies of the 16-35mm when shooting Canon myself. I could never find a sharp copy.  I also had poor luck finding a shar 24-70mm and had to get the latest one calibrated. I have since sold my Canon stuff to go back to Nikon and never looked back! I have never had such sharp glass out of the box then with Nikon. On that note, the 14-24 is to die for! I have not used that lens much but it always wows me when I do use it. The front optic is a big bubble so no filter fits over it. That means it can get dinged up easy if you don't cap it. The cap it a bit cheap and could come off if you aren't careful. I just came back from a Palm Springs trip and was banging it around the narrow halls of the Painted Canons in Mecca and not a ding on it

Ehhh... The 70-200 will be a bit much I think. Maybe invest in a teleconverter and bring the 24-70mm of yours. Once again, I know many frustrated Canon shooters who gladly ditched their systems when the 14-24mm was introduced... Either that or they are now shooting "bi" with a Nikon and just the 14-24mm..
I can't say anything for Canon to Nikon lens adapters... My guess would be to just go on other sites and see what reviews are on them. My guess would be that just like teleconverters, it will probably soften the image some...

That would be a nice option. Otherwise, the 24-70mm and a teleconverter may work wonders...

I would be careful with looters so maybe invest in this strap:
The PacSafe Anti-Theft CarrySafe 100 camera strap.
http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room...etail&id=16

It costs $20 only and features are that it is slashproof and snatchproof so you can ensure that no one will try to cut your strap and then grab and go...

Thanks for the suggestion on the strap.  I will get it.  I am considering the Zeiss 21 mm distagon (nikon mount) with an adapter or may wait for the canon mount.  

I have so much invested in glass that switching is out of question.  Hopefully the new tilt shift canon lens will be good from canon.

Param.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 06:44:38 pm by lalithaparam »
Pages: [1]   Go Up