Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica M8 / Epson / Sigma  (Read 62058 times)

PeterA

Leica M8 / Epson / Sigma
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2009, 06:51:57 am »

Well my apologies for any offence - please dont read my blatherings as 'advice'.
For sure - your Nikon is much better than my Leica - whatever ..

peace man.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:58:52 am by PeterA »

Rob C

Leica M8 / Epson / Sigma
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2009, 10:00:29 am »

Quote from: PeterA
For sure - your Nikon is much better than my Leica - whatever ..

peace man.

Cheers.

And for sure you´re determined to miss my point: to restate, it has nothing whatsoever to do with brand and everything to do with film/digital.

Film photography is not something I would advise anyone to spend money chasing. It was everything for many years, did its job pretty well perfectly, but has been sidelined. Refusal to accept that and the dwindling range of it available is up to you; I would simply say it isn´t a good investment to spend more buying into a dying medium. My F3 is in perfect condition and as perfectly unsellable. You´ve heard about paperweights.

Rob C

Dick Roadnight

Leica M8 / Epson / Sigma
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2009, 10:41:15 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Film photography is not something I would advise anyone to spend money chasing. It was everything for many years, did its job pretty well perfectly, but has been sidelined. Refusal to accept that and the dwindling range of it available is up to you; I would simply say it isn´t a good investment to spend more buying into a dying medium. My F3 is in perfect condition and as perfectly unsellable. You´ve heard about paperweights.

Rob C
Some of the top pictorial professionals, who can afford it, are now moving from 10" * 8" or larger to Medium format digital...
...but, If you can work out how to get the best out of a 10 * 8 Sinar, and you only take a few pix a day, and you sell limited editions of 100 of most of what you take for £350, a 10 * 8 Sinar is a very cost effective piece of kit.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

TMARK

Leica M8 / Epson / Sigma
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2009, 11:37:12 am »

And for sure you´re determined to miss my point: to restate, it has nothing whatsoever to do with brand and everything to do with film/digital.

Rob C

Film is good, available, pretty, cheap, and easy to home process B&W.

The M8 is the only digital camera that feels like a camera, aside form trhe 1 series Canon and the D3 Nikons,  but they feel like cameras I never liked.

Rob C

Leica M8 / Epson / Sigma
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2009, 12:10:52 pm »

Quote from: TMARK
Film is good, available, pretty, cheap, and easy to home process B&W.

Sure is available: got a freeze full but that doesn´t mean it will remain in production very long. I even have some Kodachrome without mailing vouchers. Yes, it is easy to process b/w but that doesn´t make its long-term viability any the happier.

As I said in my last post, film is/was wonderful and I would be the last to decry it; that isn´t enough to sustain its future, sadly.
Why would one imagine film companies will continue to produce where the camera companies have already decided there is no longer any market worth hunting?

Seems to me to be an even worse bet than MF digital might be, though personally, I wish all these companies good luck.

Rob C

Khun_K

• http://
Leica M8 / Epson / Sigma
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2009, 12:55:26 pm »

Quote from: henrikfoto
I am looking to buy a small camera that is light and makes the best possible image-quality for the days I don´t feel like carrying my Hasselblad.

Is anybody using the Leica M8, Epson or the compact Sigma? How good are the files compared to those from the larger cameras?

Any experiences are very welcome.

I know this is not the correct forum, but I am sure some people here use this cameras??

Henrik
I have had the M8 since its introduction, love it, and still love it, but I use it less and less , nothing about the image quality, it was great when it is new, and 3 years later I think it is still great.  I guess the reason I use it less due to the compactness. It is small, but not as small as a Canon G10 which I can use it for almost anything - except for paid jobs of course, but with its range of focus (super macro to infinity), but G10 file quality is way behind M8.  I also use DP-1 and DP-2, both great camera, and truly compact, and I would pick DP-2 over DP-1 as all around pocket camera - only wish its LED screen is better and can correspond to manual setting adjustment, and I found both DP-1/DP-2 focus excellent in normal day-light, but with strong back-lit situation, the focus becomes a little troubled.  The file quality is great for what it is, but still visibly behind M8.
I will not compare the file quality from M8/Sigma to my DLSR, either 1Ds3 or D3X, or my Phase One of Hasselblad back, they are different. Either can take pictures the others couldn't.
Bottom line suggestion: Everyday pocket compact - DP-2, if you need wider angle, stitch it.  Serious travel compact - M8.  Heavy weigh choice - anything you can figure.
Regards, K

dalethorn

Leica M8 / Epson / Sigma
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2009, 03:57:24 pm »

Quote from: Khun_K
Bottom line suggestion: Everyday pocket compact - DP-2, if you need wider angle, stitch it.  Serious travel compact - M8.  Heavy weigh choice - anything you can figure.
Regards, K

I'd say the Panasonic G1 could substutute well for a M8.  And only $629.

dseelig

Leica M8 / Epson / Sigma
« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2009, 05:42:32 pm »

After looking in the viewfinder of the G1 to me that is like comparing a Mercedes to a Yugo. Yes I know I am dating myself. Small size does not equal the joy of using a leica.

PeterA

Leica M8 / Epson / Sigma
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2009, 06:24:32 pm »

Rob C

I wouldnt advise anyone to do anything old chap. The M8 delivers great files - that is just a fact. It is also a portable system and a great travel companion. If you have an M8 - buying a used 3/6/7 or MP is a cheap way to enhance the whole experience for the user - it was an aside not 'advice' as stated above - keep your aggro to yourslef. Not interested in film, death of film vs digital debates - thats just internet chatter. Enjoy your CaNikons and 'Rollex'.

T@

dalethorn

Leica M8 / Epson / Sigma
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2009, 01:08:43 am »

Quote from: dseelig
After looking in the viewfinder of the G1 to me that is like comparing a Mercedes to a Yugo. Yes I know I am dating myself. Small size does not equal the joy of using a leica.

I really did like the viewfinder of my Leica M6, and especially the split-focus method.  But that's not without compromises, such as parallax error.  And although the M6 cost many times as much as the G1, the build quality IMO wasn't as good.  The exterior textured leatherette coating or whatever it was on the Leica had a tendency to peel slightly.  The G1 OTOH has a flawless exterior.

So there are many, many differences between the two cameras, and what applies to the M6 might not be exactly true of the M8, but then again, you only have to read this forum to note all the problems with the M8 that led to the M8-2.  When I can honestly say that the G1 is comparable to the M8, and perhaps even better overall, that really says something considering the enormous cost difference.  And I'm not cheap, having bought two M's, and other even more expensive items.

Khun_K

• http://
Leica M8 / Epson / Sigma
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2009, 12:10:02 pm »

Quote from: PeterA
I wouldnt advise anyone to do anything old chap. The M8 delivers great files - that is just a fact. It is also a portable system and a great travel companion. If you have an M8 - buying a used 3/6/7 or MP is a cheap way to enhance the whole experience for the user - it was an aside not 'advice' as stated above - keep your aggro to yourslef. Not interested in film, death of film vs digital debates - thats just internet chatter. Enjoy your CaNikons and 'Rollex'.

T@
And coming to that point, I think it is quite meaningless to look at today's camera and compare it to the past. For pure image quality, I think today's high-end DSLR is equal or sometimes better than the medium format film camera of the past, and medium format digital back to challenge the large format or surpass them. And if we include the ability to digitally stitch very large panoramic images, my Canon G10 can produce file (10 more more capture stitch together) with a quick sequence of shoot, file larger and stunning image that is no less or better than a Linhof 617, and may be even faster than setting up the Linhof - the shoot, sorry, not the post processing time.
Just 10 years ago, a camera data back for Nikon F5 cost more than a DSLR today with much less function, and the ability to print shooting data to film was a high tech feature only available by additional bulky data back, until Contax 645 made it a standard feature. Photography was more or less a serious hobby or professional pursuit, today, it is part of our culture and part of everyday life, for just about everyone. I don't see the change only from film to digital, I think the meaning of camera is also changed. I don't thin the size of sensor matter as much as the size of film and certainly not to migrate such idea into today's device.
But, the feeling of holding a fine camera in man's hand is perhaps the only thing didn't change.

Regards, K
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up