Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad pixels  (Read 1809 times)

outerspace

Bad pixels
« on: March 16, 2005, 10:42:38 pm »

I posted about this six or so months ago and got no response.  Canon warrentee said it would be a flat rate of $180 (out of warrentee) if  my memory serves.  They would return it as it was sent, overnite, ground, etc. and it would be 7 to 10 days to turn around the repair.  I was unable to get any info from Canon regarding how often pixels go bad, if the chip would continue to deterioate, or would Canon remap dead pixels or replace the chip.  I grew tired of hunting for info and have lived with it for now.  Hope this is of some use.

Stephen

paulbk

Bad pixels
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 06:49:43 am »

re: Canon 10D
I've got a few dead pixels, maybe three to six. I found them doing a 400% inspection of a sensor cleaning check shot (A3 paper with small black focus target +). Almost any post processing fills them in. No worries mate. Makes absolutely no difference in the print.

I think I noticed them after about 1 year of use.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

jeffreyluce

• http://
Bad pixels
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 08:35:12 am »

Thanks for the replies... and sorry about the repost... I searched for "bad pixel" and was overloaded with search responses... I must have missed/didn't go back far enough to catch earlier the earlier post.

I guess I'll keep an eye out for bad ones... and toward the end of warranty have them fixed.

- JKL
Jeffrey Luce

jeffreyluce

• http://
Bad pixels
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 09:48:49 pm »

I bought a Canon 20D about 2 months ago... I just found that there are 2 pixels that are bad.  My other digital camera has bad pixels too (Olympus, 4yrs old)... I know they go bad...

How often do they go bad?  About how long would I be without a camera if I sent it in for repair?

Thanks in advance for your response.

- JKL
Jeffrey Luce

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Bad pixels
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 01:58:00 am »

It happens, but it's not common.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Bad pixels
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 03:14:58 pm »

I have asked this question here and on other forums and have not received many replies. I believe that this is simply because it is not known at this point. paulkk's anecdotal report is as good as it gets and notes from real users like him are very useful.

I was particularly interested to know the answer for the simple reason that I tend to buy 2nd hand. Testing a D-SLR body for bad pixels becomes one more thing to watch out for. It would upset me to find out that I paid $xx.xx for a body that had 200 bad pixels swapped out. Now, 200 pixels out of 6 or 8 million may not render the camera unusable, but it might affect the price I would be willing to pay. Since I am the one buying, I want to know. Checking for bad/hot pixels at the store is doable, but is there any way to determine if bad pixels have been swapped out?

I believe paulbk's argument that the usual post-processing will mask the problem, if the number of bad pixels is low. In previous threads, I have read comments from many users who are very easy-going about this issue. Some even said that they didn't mind if a brand new camera had bad pixels. That is farther than I would go, without getting a discounted price that is. If I paid $2000 (Cdn) for a new 20D, I'd expect it to work perfectly.

For all I know, new bodies have bad pixels swapped out at the factory as a matter of course. How would we know? What does their quality control consider acceptable? Zero bad pixels?, 10 bad pixels?, 10%?... I have never read an official statement by any manufacturer, though they may be out there and I simply missed them.

From what I can tell from the limited data, pixels do tend to go bad over time. Unfortunately this has a direct impact on people like me who buy 2nd hand equipment. As an amateur my cost/benefit analysis is completely different from that of a working pro for whom buying new every couple of years makes perfect sense. In general, they probably don't care about the issue as much.
--
Robert

thierrylegros396

Bad pixels
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 09:30:45 am »

So, if it is like LCD, 0.01% is the maximum acceptable for most manufacturers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up