Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Window Light Portrait  (Read 3034 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Window Light Portrait
« on: April 11, 2009, 03:22:29 am »

Window light diffused with silk, no flash, no reflectors.

[attachment=12917:2009_04....021_Edit.jpg]

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Window Light Portrait
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:04:07 am »

Well done!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
Window Light Portrait
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 11:25:46 am »

Quote from: dwdallam
Window light diffused with silk, no flash, no reflectors.

[attachment=12917:2009_04....021_Edit.jpg]

Sorry to nitpick but this image doesn't work for me in color at all. Right now aside from overall softness and missing the focus on the eyes, the color and size of the hair extensions remind me of a buffalo and the very distracting yellow flowers are where the horns go. Maybe in BW one wont be as distracted by her accessories and one can focus more on the light and her beauty easier, but unfortunately in this case you'd probably notice the oof eyes even more.

Just my 2¢.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

John R

Window Light Portrait
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 08:40:36 pm »

Her eyes look focused on my screen. And I really like the soft glow that comes off her skin from the natural light. Although one can look at the two flowers as a bit disturbing, it is easy to see that this is part of costume and thus acceptable. It would be the same for any portrait where the model is wearing a headdress. I like it.

JMR

dwdallam

Window Light Portrait
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 10:42:42 pm »

Quote from: ddk
Sorry to nitpick but this image doesn't work for me in color at all. Right now aside from overall softness and missing the focus on the eyes, the color and size of the hair extensions remind me of a buffalo and the very distracting yellow flowers are where the horns go. Maybe in BW one wont be as distracted by her accessories and one can focus more on the light and her beauty easier, but unfortunately in this case you'd probably notice the oof eyes even more.

Just my 2¢.

I appreciate all analysis, especially those I can learn from. However, her eyes are dead on focused (as much as they both can be using a 70-200 at large aperture and 180mm+ mm and shooting the eyes at an angle anyway). Although I make lots of mistakes, eye focus isn't one of them. The overall softness was by design. Your comments on her attire are perfectly legitimate, as I see the same thing. This outfit is one of her performing outfits (She's a dancer). Appreciate your taking the time to critique, and you're not nitpicking at all. I take your critique to be honest and at least somewhat correct.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:43:25 pm by dwdallam »

dwdallam

Window Light Portrait
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 10:45:33 pm »

Quote from: John R
Her eyes look focused on my screen. And I really like the soft glow that comes off her skin from the natural light. Although one can look at the two flowers as a bit disturbing, it is easy to see that this is part of costume and thus acceptable. It would be the same for any portrait where the model is wearing a headdress. I like it.

JMR

thanks, and you're right. the outfit is a costume. She's a dancer and this is one of her performing outfits.

jani

• Øyet
Window Light Portrait
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 07:08:03 pm »

I think this is a pretty good portrait, but I see where the critique regarding focus is coming from; the hair appears to show more detail and accutance than the eyes in this web size version.

That being said, I don't think we can discuss critical focus on a small image like this and retain credibility; it's simply the wrong size for it, unless the focus is way off, which it clearly isn't.

I'd rather like to focus on the subject matter, the lighting and the moment that was captured. I see little to change here, perhaps burn in the brightest areas a smidgeon. Then again, that may also look very good in a full size print.

Well done indeed!
Jan

dwdallam

Window Light Portrait
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 12:09:58 am »

Quote from: jani
I think this is a pretty good portrait, but I see where the critique regarding focus is coming from; the hair appears to show more detail and accutance than the eyes in this web size version.

That being said, I don't think we can discuss critical focus on a small image like this and retain credibility; it's simply the wrong size for it, unless the focus is way off, which it clearly isn't.

I'd rather like to focus on the subject matter, the lighting and the moment that was captured. I see little to change here, perhaps burn in the brightest areas a smidgeon. Then again, that may also look very good in a full size print.

Well done indeed!

Jani thanks. I think the softness as it appears seems to look like OOF, but is due to the high contrast spilling over the entire image. I'll post a larger crop soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up