Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaves & Stems  (Read 3609 times)

jasonrandolph

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 554
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Leaves & Stems
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:43:06 AM »

Shot this one yesterday with my "pocket rocket" Canon G9.  What do you think composition-wise?  Thanks in advance for the feedback.

dalethorn

  • Guest
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »

Good leaf photo. One nit - I'm not a fan of large white areas in this kind of image, so I would prefer to dampen down the white part of the leaf at left-center somewhat.
Logged

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5821
    • M&M's Musings
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 01:19:16 PM »

I like the image.  Thanks for sharing it.

Mike.
Logged
If your mind is attuned to beauty, you find beauty in everything.
~ Jean Cooke ~

My Flickr site / Random Thoughts and Other Meanderings at M&M's Musings

jasonrandolph

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 554
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 01:36:38 PM »

Thanks Dale and Mike.  I agree regarding the white space.  I'll see if I can tone it down a bit.

jani

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1620
    • yet
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 05:45:34 PM »

I agree with the comments regarding the white, but I don't think it's easy to do something about it without ruining the image as a whole.

I really like the tonality here.
Logged
Jan

jasonrandolph

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 554
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 03:42:48 AM »

I tried "toning down" the white a bit.  I think it's a dramatic improvement...

jani

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1620
    • yet
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:35:59 AM »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
I tried "toning down" the white a bit.  I think it's a dramatic improvement...
That worked surprisingly well, I thought it would have looked bad, but it doesn't.
Logged
Jan

kikashi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5132
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
I tried "toning down" the white a bit.  I think it's a dramatic improvement...
I agree. The new version is a lovely image. How did you make the alteration?

Jeremy
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:18:30 PM by kikashi »
Logged

jasonrandolph

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 554
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »

Quote from: kikashi
I agree. The new version is a lovely image. How did you make the alteration?

Jeremy

It was quite simple actually.  I used the Local Adjustment brush in LR2.3 to burn in some detail.  I too was surprised at the results.

AndyS

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 61
    • http://www.astannard.com
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »

That has worked very effectively - both technically and compositionally speaking.

With the leaves toned down the eye is really drawn to the center of the plant by the white edges of the leaves. Looks great!


Logged

dalethorn

  • Guest
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 05:33:42 PM »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
It was quite simple actually.  I used the Local Adjustment brush in LR2.3 to burn in some detail.  I too was surprised at the results.

Amazing result.
Logged

Christos Andronis

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 44
    • Christos Andronis Photography
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 04:39:31 AM »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
I tried "toning down" the white a bit.  I think it's a dramatic improvement...

The edited version is really superb! May I ask what settings did you use to achieve the overall toning of the image?

Thanks for sharing,

- Christos

jasonrandolph

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 554
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 01:36:32 AM »

Quote from: candron
The edited version is really superb! May I ask what settings did you use to achieve the overall toning of the image?

Thanks for sharing,

- Christos

Christos:

I took a screen shot.  If you want to know more, let me know.  Thanks for the comments.

popnfresh

  • Guest
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 01:28:16 PM »

I guess I'll be the contrarian. I like the first version better. I think it has more graphic impact and gives it a level of abstraction that got watered down in the second version. If your goal was to produce a nice botanical representation then, yes, I would agree that #2 is better. But for me, the first one aspires to be more than that. I also think that the first one might be better appreciated as a print rather than on screen. I'd love to see it printed by a top-of-the-line inkjet on high quality paper. I think it would be stunning.
Logged

jasonrandolph

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 554
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Leaves & Stems
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 05:19:52 PM »

Quote from: popnfresh
I guess I'll be the contrarian. I like the first version better. I think it has more graphic impact and gives it a level of abstraction that got watered down in the second version. If your goal was to produce a nice botanical representation then, yes, I would agree that #2 is better. But for me, the first one aspires to be more than that. I also think that the first one might be better appreciated as a print rather than on screen. I'd love to see it printed by a top-of-the-line inkjet on high quality paper. I think it would be stunning.

Thanks popnfresh.  I always like hearing both sides...really!  That's the only way we learn.  I haven't made any test prints yet.  (No time with it being Tax Week in the US.)  But this weekend I'll probably get around to firing up the 3800 and seeing how it looks.  I agree; you can't really judge an image on-screen until you see it as a print.

Again, thank you all for sharing your thoughts!
Pages: [1]   Go Up