Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone actually PRINT in LR 2.3...?  (Read 2792 times)

stevebri

Can anyone actually PRINT in LR 2.3...?
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:05:47 pm »

Silly question i know but no matter what I do I get images with a big strip on the left end, i.e. the print isn't central...

Colours are fine and managed correctly etc...  i made a 13x19 template one image on it 1/4 inch border (slightly under) and... and.... three sides are fine but everything is 'to the right..'

Mmmmmmmmmmm...

S

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:14:34 pm »

What printer?

stevebri

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:09 pm »

Hi,

I use an Epson 4800... Not the easiest printer driver (ver 6.5) I also use Vista and or XP.

Have tried CS4 and LR2.3 and both don't give me a borderless 13x19 even though it should so I'm now trying to hack my way through the driver to see what I'm not ticking/unticking...

Any enlightenment would sure save me some ink and paper...!

S

stevebri

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:42:49 am »

I found this on the web last night and I think it explains it....

'A very frustrating turn fighting with the margins in trying to get a 12x18 inch image centered on 13x19 inch sheets. He contacted Epson tech support and received the following response and discovered some limitations to the way the 4800 prints due to its design.

The Stylus Pro 4800 has a cut sheet margin limitation of .116(3mm) inches top, left and right and .55(14mm) inches bottom. So your image will need to be small enough to fit within a 1.10 inches for a leading a trailing edge and .232 left and right. The only way to get a truly even or "full bleed" margin is through the use of roll paper. The hardware is incapable of holding the paper and printing to the leading or trailing edge of the media. Unfortunately, due to the volume of output that was expected for the 4800 it is was designed to always have the .55 inch margin along the bottom of cut sheet. The printer hardware needs that much space to grip the paper allowing the proper feed step to produce Epson photographic quality prints. The best way work around the margin limitation is through the use of roll paper.

Follow this key sequence on the front panel of the printer:

1. Press menu button twice.
   2. Press the down arrow four times till you see "Paper margin"
   3. Now press menu once, the selection should show "T/B 15mm"
   4. Press the up arrow until you see 3mm then press "menu".
   5. Now press pause and the printer will go to read

The .55 inch margin for the trailing edge of the print is because of the fan units used by the 4800 to move the paper along the print path. No rollers are used after the paper is pulled from the tray and into the print path and this avoids a problem that afflicts some consumer printers of "pizza" roller tracks on the printed surface (I saw such tracks on occasion with my old Epson 1270). Epson giveth and Epson taketh away.

I haven't had issues with the margins with my own 4800 except for trying to print four images centered on letter sized sheets, which I don't do too often, so I'm not that critical about it. I also don't print on 13x19 paper very often either, as it's an oddball size for me, as I prefer to print traditional portrait sizes such as 8x10, 11x14, 16x20. I also like to store my prints in Prat portfolio-style leather albums and these max out at A3 size (12x16).

So, if you wanted a dead centered image, size your image to fit within the .55 inch margins on the leading and trailing edges, or use roll paper'

S

rcannonp

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:45:41 am »

-never mind
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:47:42 am by rcannonp »
Cannon Pearson: not like the camera

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 07:22:02 pm »

Quote from: stevebri
Silly question i know but no matter what I do I get images with a big strip on the left end, i.e. the print isn't central...

Colours are fine and managed correctly etc...  i made a 13x19 template one image on it 1/4 inch border (slightly under) and... and.... three sides are fine but everything is 'to the right..'

Mmmmmmmmmmm...

S

I print images dead centre on a 4000 and a 3800 by making the white canvas the exact same size as the sheet and placing the actual photo inside this leaving whatever white border you want, but a min of 3/4in to be safe. Print with Centred turned on and you should get an error message saying image is too big to print without cropping (or something like that). Ignore this warning and you'll get an centred image. The driver is cropping off the edges, but since they are just white borders it doesn't matter. I even gang up A5 prints on A3 paper this way and it works perfectly every time. I've printed thousands of images this way with no problems once I worked out how the driver worked.

I don't know how to do borderless, never needed to do it but if I did I'd go up a sheet size and trim the edges.

Edit: sorry, I'm printing from Photoshop, I missed the thread title about LR. Same printer driver, still should work.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:25:17 pm by Nick Rains »
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica
Pages: [1]   Go Up