Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New tutorial  (Read 6419 times)

Tklimek

New tutorial
« on: April 09, 2009, 12:27:57 pm »

Hello Chris/Michael....

Any idea on the timeline for the new tutorial on keywording, etc. might be on the store shelves?

I was getting ready to embark on a task of restructuring my workflow in terms of catalogs, keywords, etc. and may wish to wait for some strategies as presented in the new work.

Cheers.....

Todd in Chicago

michael

New tutorial
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 03:31:47 pm »

Some time mid-summer, I would guess at this point. It's a huge editing job.

Michael

Tklimek

New tutorial
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:44:51 pm »

Wow....yeah I can imagine.

Thanks for the heads up; I'll just do my restructuring with my own strategy and see what happens when the tutorial comes out.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: michael
Some time mid-summer, I would guess at this point. It's a huge editing job.

Michael

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
New tutorial
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 01:34:59 am »

Hi,

Some of the earlier videos by Reichmann & Schewe have some pretty good ideas and are fun to watch

My own 2 cents:

I'm using Lightroom, when I import the pictures I'm always using a Year/Month/Day structure so each day of shooting ends up in an own folder.
My other option is that I use date+filename combination when saving files. So an image called dsc0001.arw would end up as 20090411_dsc0001.arw

I'm unfortunately very bad at keywording. If you use Lightroom, keep in mind that keywords are annexed to the file (using sidecar XMP-files or inbedded in DNG) whereas collections are not. So if you loose your "catalog" you loose your collections but not your keywords.

Years ago I decided that I would convert everything to DNG, but now I found out that a couple of raw converters, namely Bibble and DxO wont work on my DNG files, so I'm doing "ARW" again, without being particularly happy about it.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Tklimek
Wow....yeah I can imagine.

Thanks for the heads up; I'll just do my restructuring with my own strategy and see what happens when the tutorial comes out.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:20:08 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Tklimek

New tutorial
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:43:59 am »

Thanks Erik....

I think I'll review the various LL tutorials, my books, and other resources such as your suggestion and come up with a naming system.  I know there is some good way to do hierarchical keywording and strategies for folder placement.  Since I'll be "re-creating" a master catalog, I'll also need two workflows; one for RAW files and one for the thousands of JPGS that I have from before I shot RAW <sigh>....

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

Some of the earlier videos by Reichmann & Schewe have some pretty good ideas and are fun to watch

My own 2 cents:

I'm using Lightroom, when I import the pictures I'm always using a Year/Month/Day structure so each day of shooting ends up in an own folder.
My other option is that I use date+filename combination when saving files. So an image called dsc0001.arw would end up as 20090411_dsc0001.arw

I'm unfortunately very bad at keywording. If you use Lightroom, keep in mind that keywords are annexed to the file (using sidecar XMP-files or inbedded in DNG) whereas collections are not. So if you loose your "catalog" you loose your collections but not your keywords.

Years ago I decided that I would convert everything to DNG, but now I found out that a couple of raw converters, namely Bibble and DxO wont work on my DNG files, so I'm doing "ARW" again, without being particularly happy about it.

Best regards
Erik

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
New tutorial
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 11:10:28 am »

Todd,

I don't want to make any propaganda for Lightroom, except that is the application I use. Using Lightroom I feel that JPEGs and "raw" mix perfectly, so I don't really see any need for two workflows. While I was using DNG I just imported all images as DNG into a folder called DNGImp, that would convert "raw" to DNG but just make a plain copy of JPEGs. So the only difference I see is that JPEGs have ".jpg" extension and cannot be manipulated the way ".dng"s can. So I simply put JPEGs, DNGs and tiffs in the same folder structure. Works for me...

Regarding the DNG issue, I think I'm probably going back to DNG pretty soon.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Tklimek
Thanks Erik....

I think I'll review the various LL tutorials, my books, and other resources such as your suggestion and come up with a naming system.  I know there is some good way to do hierarchical keywording and strategies for folder placement.  Since I'll be "re-creating" a master catalog, I'll also need two workflows; one for RAW files and one for the thousands of JPGS that I have from before I shot RAW <sigh>....

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up