Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing DesignJet Z3100 Driver  (Read 1613 times)

DavidShots

Removing DesignJet Z3100 Driver
« on: April 08, 2009, 01:23:36 pm »

I was having problems printing using custom paper sizes. I would setup a custom paper size as I had in the past. However, when I would do a print preview, it would show a different page size. I did some research and found the driver has issues when too many custom page sizes exist. One suggestion was to remove the driver, which would remove the custom sizes, and then install the latest driver. I used the Control Panel to try to remove the driver. However, it tries to find a file (HP Designjet Z3100 Photo series.msi) on my CD drive. I don't have the original CD. Hence the uninstall failed. I downloaded the latest driver (217.00.4100) and tried to install it. It finds the printer on my network, but fails when it starts to install the device driver. I get the following message: "Setup was unable to complete the installation. Please click 'Finish' to exit this installation, then run the installer again." I run the install again and the same thing happens.

At this point I cannot print on my main computer and have to use another. I suspect I have to manually uninstall the driver some way and then install the new driver. Any help would be appreciated.

dalethorn

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 01:47:38 pm »

First thing, find the folder where the HP printer files were installed.  On a PC, that would be under Program Files.  Remove the folder completely.  On a PC, sometimes it's also helpful to delete any references in the Registry.

BTW, this is typical for HP.  Unbelievable how bad their installs are for scanners and printers.

DavidShots

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 04:56:03 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
First thing, find the folder where the HP printer files were installed. On a PC, that would be under Program Files. Remove the folder completely. On a PC, sometimes it's also helpful to delete any references in the Registry.

BTW, this is typical for HP. Unbelievable how bad their installs are for scanners and printers.

Thanks for your response.  True, their installers can be difficult.   I contacted HP support and found the solution to the problems I had.  Custom sizes appear to work as well.

Unplug the Network or USB cable from the printer.
On your PC go and click on Start, highlight My Computer and right click on it, now click on Manage, then at your left hand side click on the plus sign next Services and Applications and then on its submenu click on Services, now at the right hand side look for Print Spooler, right click, stop and restart it and reboot the PC.
Attempt to re install driver.

dalethorn

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 01:07:31 am »

Quote from: DavidShots
Thanks for your response.  True, their installers can be difficult.   I contacted HP support and found the solution to the problems I had.  Custom sizes appear to work as well.
Unplug the Network or USB cable from the printer.
On your PC go and click on Start, highlight My Computer and right click on it, now click on Manage, then at your left hand side click on the plus sign next Services and Applications and then on its submenu click on Services, now at the right hand side look for Print Spooler, right click, stop and restart it and reboot the PC.
Attempt to re install driver.

That's some fix. Amazing. Now if they can reissue their CD's for their scanners so that the CD can be stored and installed from the hard drive instead of requiring the disk, that would be good too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up